Spector off to Charlton

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by csj1, Jul 9, 2005.

1. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    My version doesn't say anything about Youga.

2. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  3. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
  4. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Section 101
    Great News and great scoop by YA. Quickly becoming a great resource. Spector deserves the opportunity to play at the top flight, and this ensures that. Hopefully next year, he can get into the mix at Man U.

But the USA needs Spector for 06 at LB, our other options are questionable. I think people would be confident with him at that position.

One thing to notice is that all of our top options in the back are playing abroad besides Pope. And now with this signing, look to be playing every week.

5. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To quote Mr. Dynamite, " This is ....... has the potential to be ..... awsome..."

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Anyone know if Charlton are looking at Charlton to play in the middle or on the flank and, if so, which one?

Regardless, a great move for MulletBoy and big ups to YA.com for getting the scoop. Here's hoping some of the mainstream media gives you credit when they report this!

So, of our kiddie corps of young Yank backs in England, that's two out of four who are in a better place, in terms of playing time, than last year.

Karbassiyoon: Check
    Spector: Check
    Simek:
    Whitbread:

Zak and Frankie, time to get it going and land a place to play.

7. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Great work Fid and Tree and crew.

When I first read the article this morning, I remember reading something similar. Doesn't seem to be there now...

8. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Who is Charltons RB? I know Spector is right footed and saw time at RB recently for the US national team when they had a scrimage against the Fire the week before the England game. Spectors versatility had to have been a key in the loan. He can play anywhere on the backline likes to join the attack and is very good on the ball.

Now we have another team in EPL to follow closely

Good job by the guys at Yanks-Abroad, the overal site is quality and keeps us very informed. Now you have to find out where BENNY is?

9. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    How's your on-line dating experiment on Big soccer going, or are you going back to e-harmony?

10. socks

socks New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    oaxaca mexico
    Congratulations to John. After seeing the likes of Rooney and Ruud coming at him in practices, and learning from people like Rio etc., Johnny is ready for first team action. I'm very excited about this because I believe he has the potential to be an extremely solid defenseman for the usmnt.

11. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Fish leaving is great. Spector's got a real shot at being in the middle, probably his better long-term fit.

Would be awesome to see Johnny starting, game-in/game-out in the middle in the Premiership as a 19 year old. Another Senderos? :)

12. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    some people keep calling him a left back.

as others have pointed out, he can play all across the back line, but he is a center back.

i keep hoping for gooch and spector as our right and left center backs in '06.

but who knows? demerit, gibbs, boca, and even marshall and whitbread may have something to say about that!!

13. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Or maybe even 2 of the Yanks Abroad that have had the more success abroad (arguably) may even have something to say about it...
    Russell at Rosenborg who was a regular with the league winners
    Cherundolo at Hannover who is an alternate for captain in the bundesliga

Lets not forget those guys...

Both of which are right backs for their club teams

14. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Maybe they're most interested in seeming him play centrally. The unbelievable repetition of demands from manU's current backline star might have prompted SAf to get spector some experience. Radio all day in london was on about rio's future and where he'd be soon enough.

15. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    ...except i was talking about center backs.

16. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

luke young... he ain't losing his spot

17. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Ah yes. There were 2 versions of the article. How frustrating. I wonder why the omitted the part of him making an immediate impact in the starting 11?

18. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    That's something for me to be thankful for.

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to be the wet blanket...but given Curbishley's history of fading, and long tenure at the club, if Charlton get off to a bad start, I expect Curbishley to get the sack. The manager situation isn't stable there right now. So if CA start poorly, Spector better be good Real good. Give the new manager no option but to keep playing him.

20. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Curbs is not going to get fired from Charlton. What will be interesting to see is how he will use the new arrivals with the current players. The is quite a bit of discussion that Holland and Euell are on the way out. Ambrose could complement Murphy, and Romendahl well. I doubt that Spector will play right away. Curbs likes to manage his way. I imagine that some of you will get frustrated with his decisions (all Addick fan's do). But he has managed to keep Charlton profitable, in the premiership and until the forced sale of Scott Parker to Chelsea two years ago in the hunt for a CL spot. Charlton does have a tendency to end with a slide. It seems that once a European spot is removed from possibility, the team does very poorly. The reserve side is two time defending southern section champion. That means that many of the young players at Charlton are getting better. Players like Lloyd Sam, and Jermoe Thomas. Luke Young is safe. HErman Heriadason is a qualify center-back and Icelandic NT player. El-Karkouri is a Morrocian NT player. Paul Konckesky who was sold to West Ham was the left back at the end of last season.

It should be interesting to see how Spector fits in.

Charlton also has free audio for all of their matches.

21. CelticOnFire

CelticOnFire New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    London right now
    This is really good for him. Its about damn time he gets some first team games preparing for the World Cup

22. reddog694

reddog694 Member

Jun 1, 2004
    NYC
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charlton's backline for most of last year was from right to left:

Luke Young-Jonathan Fortune-Mark Fish/El Karkouri-Herman Hreidarsson

Not sure of their status/contracts for the upcoming year, but JS should find time in that backline. Young was capped by England's NT against us and Hreidarsson is a physical monster for a left back, but I was never impressed by them as a whole in the few games I saw.

23. P1brit

P1brit Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Novi, MI
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Despite the fact that Charlton has a panic attack and drops eight spots in the table everytime some say the word "europe" they do have big club aspiration and are going to be doing a lot of renovation at the valley to increase capacity.

24. Hank Rearden

Hank Rearden New Member

Jul 9, 1999
    Dundee, Illinois, USA
    Here is a rough list of Charlton's remaining defenders and their 04/05 appearances:

Talal El Karkouri [28] - 32 league apps
    Radostin Kishishev [30] - 30 league apps
    Herman Hreidarsson [30] - 34 league apps
    Jonathan Fortune [24] - 31 league apps
    Chris Perry [31] - 19 league apps
    Luke Young [25] - 36 league apps
    Mark Ricketts [20] - zero league apps
    Osei Sankofa [19] - zero league apps

Young is on cusp of the England national team - he played on their US tour.
    El Karkouri, Kishishev and Hreidarsson are all members of their national teams.

It seems like Youga and Spector will primarily be there to provide depth and rest for some of the older guys.

25. Galen

Galen Member

Jul 16, 1999
    El Cerrito
    Here's my impressions on this move as someone who's been following Charlton for the past several years:

This move is short-term about providing depth across the backline. With the transfer of Konchesky, Hreidarsson is the only left-back on the roster with any playing experience. He's a beast in the air and is a decent combination CB/LB. I think that if Spector showed reasonable ability at the position, he would definitely get some first-team action over the course of the season, depending on how good this kid from Lyon is.

Young is definitely the starter at right back. Last year was by far his best season and he was arguably the best player on the club after January. Spector might see some time here if Young is injured or in early cup rounds; that's about it unless Young completely falls apart. Kishishev is also a right-back/d-mid, so he might wind up being ahead of Spector on the depth chart.

As for the center of defense, El Kakouri is a decent central defender who can also play as a d-mid, which he might to if Charlton sell Matty Holland, which has been a recurring rumor this summer. Fortune is regarded as an up-and-coming player and has shown flashes of brillance along with having absolutely awful stretches as well. Perry is a veteran who's starting to show his age and he's mainly been used as cover in case of injuries.

My bet is that Spector will do well to make the sub's bench at the start of the season, with El Karkouri and Fortune as the starting pair in the center of defense and HH and Young on the sides. Hopefully if Spector shows enough in training or if El Karkouri has to spend more time in the midfield, Spector will get some starts and a chance at earning a place in the First 11.

In the past, Curbs has been reluctant to play youngsters. Considering that Charlton has only bought young players so far this summer, I hope that we'll see a change in that area. If so, it can only benefit Spector.