SPECTOR:Joins States Side

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by 2ndstarright, Sep 30, 2005.

1. 2ndstarright

2ndstarright New Member

Feb 29, 2004
    The Chi
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Fantastic. The left back spot is there for the taking. So is the backup right mid spot.

4. kylesoccer

kylesoccer New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    god bless america. please keep him for the panama game so i can see him play live. Hopefully somebody with get the practice information and i can see him practice as well

5. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    well spector played in the last match of the semis wcq...

so panama is the last match of the hex, and I suspect he'll play...

the big queston is whether it's as a sub or whether he gets a start?

6. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    I'd like to see him start and get a full 90 in. Would be good in order to get a better grasp of his abilities.

7. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just excited that chicago has become the 51st state. Spector is from arlington heights, chicago. Actually come to think of it that would make illinios a red state. That sucks!

8. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    That is great news. I hope he has two great games for the NATS and then breaks into the Charlton line-up upon his return. We will get a chance to see what he can add to the team. I am looking forward to it.

His preseason injury was very unfortunate.

Ha ha..... I didn't know Chi-town was a State either......

9. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    I'd be surprised if spector got used in saprissa, at least not as a starter...

I think the way arena uses multiple players over two matches in a few days, I'm elaning towards spector getting a start against panama, assuming his camp is reasonable.

10. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    While you are probably right I would much rather see him in Saprissa. Costa Rica are still playing for something and it will be in a tough environment. I'm sure Arena has heard from everyone how Spector never gets rattled. Well, now is his chance to see if that is true.

IMO, it would be stupid not to play him there since he will only be 20 when the World Cup starts. Do you really want to take a 20 year old defender to the world cup without seeing how he performs under pressure?

Some might argue that you should bring players along slowly so as to not blow their confidence. Well, did it screw up Gooch's confidence when he was abused in Mexico City? Hell no! Instead, as if a light switch had been turned on, he realized what he needed to do to be successful in those types of matches.

11. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    i'd rather see lewis at left back in sapirssa...

12. RSwenson

RSwenson Member

Feb 1, 2000
    I'd rather see Lewis at left mid (especially if DMB is not used)... Lewis as a LB is a reasonable choice, but a second or third choice, IMO

(don't get me wrong, Lewis is a real pro, but put him in a position where he can do what he is best at)...

rand

13. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would put Lewis at LB instead of LMid in anticipation of continuing to use him there when DMB is healthy and available. And with Convey coming in, it's not as though there isn't a good option to be using ahead of Lewis at the wing midfield position.

14. Shackleton

Shackleton New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    N. Texas
    I think Lewis is the USA first choice at left back because of the lack of other qualified candidates. Hopefully, Arena will play him in CR. He's the leading candidate to be our starting LB at WC and should get the experience of an away game to a motivated, qualified opponent. Hopefully, Spector gets the start against Panama.

15. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he plays in the EPL. He played with Roy Keane and practiced plenty of times against Rooney,I highly doubt you can rattle this kid.

16. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They toss bags of piss at the player in the EPL?

17. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No if you f*** up Roy keane will piss down your throat and rooney will breathe on you.

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    No reason to bring Spector in unless he's a real '06 candidate. And if he's a real candidate, let's not baby him. Start him in Saprissa, let's see what he's got.

19. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What you are saying is that playing in, arguably, the best league in the world will not help the kid when coming against playing in Costa Rica?

Also, as the last person said, if he is a contender, which I think he could be, for 06 at LB, then put him in the fire's pit from the get-go...

20. Beck11

Beck11 New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Nashville/Knoxville
    Oh man, playing against R. Kelly and Shrek can prepare ANYONE for ANYTHING.

21. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope---people only do that on some of thse Boards ;)

22. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

just so everyone can re-read that

23. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    actually, roy keane is great at developing young players. During the man u-Bayern mun. match keane was playing center back with spector on the left and he was doing a great job directing and encouraging JS. But, playing in the epl can prepare you for pretty much anything that come his way and playing at a high pressure club like man u will add to that. So in CR the fans a rough but, the competition not quite as good. In the EPL the competition is high but, the fans don't throw piss.

24. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Personally, I'd like to see him go the full 90 in both games. And, considering he can play either outside position or in the middle, I see no reason why he shouldn't be able to find a spot for both games. He's probably our #1 defensive prospect who hasn't seen substantial time, so if anyone needs to see the field back there, it's him.

And, considering he did get some time in a qualifier earlier before conflicts and injuries kept him away, I think Bruce does indeed have plans for the boy. I expect him to make the Germany squad at the very least as a guy who can back up either outside back spot. A defensive guy with his ability to play any position in the back four could make him a very valuable back-up, even if he doesn't grab a starting role, which wouldn't really surprise me either.

25. Slingerfan1977

Slingerfan1977 New Member

Sep 6, 2005
    I think Lewis will be a factor in his playing time in these two games. If Lewis is called in hopefully they will split the games.

I haven't seen anything yet on Eddie's call up.