Spector joins Charlton on loan

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Allamerican74, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
  2. Fulham Fan

Fulham Fan New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Bay Area
    This sounds exciting. Charlton is an overachieving team that puts a high emphasis on defense. Spector should learn a lot and get playing time, too.

3. Fulham Fan

Fulham Fan New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Bay Area
    Sorry, I treated this like a Yanks Abroad thread!

4. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not sure I like this. When Spector did play in the 1st team last year, he looked awfully close to being good enough for United. Did he learn nothing in the last year that would put him over the hump? Did we sign a new defender I'm not aware of?

5. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    ya haven... he sucked~
    probably could contribute to an MLS side.

6. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    He played well in his starts last year early in Man Utd's season..
    He was the fan's MOTM for one of them..

7. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also don't think it would be best to send out Spector unless SAF is really planning to sign another defender. I was in favor of his potential mid-season loan to Blackburn last season (which ultimately fell through), but I'm not so sure he needs this. Oh well, perhaps SAF sees some holes in his game that we don't.

8. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    oh well ******** me sweetheart, A FANS MOTM!!!.. sell ferdinand then and let this kid 'ave a go then~
    :rolleyes:

9. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    And the announcers also said "amongst all these seasoned internationals on the pitch it could be said Spector was the best player on the day..."

Just replying to the poster who said he played like crap.. which is far from true for any matches he played..

10. smock7

smock7 Member

Aug 4, 2004
    New York City
    So now I have to be a Charlton fan? Oh crap.

Good for Johnny, though.

11. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Well he's damn well better than that bald shrew Pascal Cygan.

12. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That's borderline trolling. My argument that he's close to being sufficient to play for Man Utd might be disputed. Sucked? I don't remember a single person who thought that at the time.

13. FCDallas96

FCDallas96 Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am excited about this move for him. He has all the talent in the world but lacks that bit of experience to put him over the top. I am just disappointed that the 2nd half of last year was a waste for him while playing for the reserves since SAF said that he was already beyond that level. I know that I will be catching as many Charlton games as possible now since I am a huge fan of this kid.

14. MikeyM

MikeyM New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Frisco, TX.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Good for Johnny. You only get better with experience. He will get to play in the Prem & get the experience. Good move. :)

15. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    spector joining charlton on loan is great for his development ..speactor is one young kids who is the future of the club along with rossi, daivd jones, chris eagles .pique, lee martin and so on ....1st team football CAN'T hurt him

16. listen_up_fergie

listen_up_fergie New Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Montreal
    Good news, Charlton are a decent club and Spector should learn a lot from his time there.

17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, I think its a good idea... Spector's almost ready for United, but he's not better than any of our starters yet, not Heinze, not Gary and he's a bit green to stick in the middle, not to mention the fact that Brown and Silvestre have tons of experience and some skill on him too. I think going on loan will give us a chance to see what he's capable of over a prolonged period of time and give him the exposure and confidence he will need to be a backup/rotation player next season and in the future.

18. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Great move for Jon, I hope he does well. I agree with johno said, he is behind Heinze in the pecking order but hopefully sometime soon Fergie will get the courage to put Heinze in the middle with Rio and put Spector on the left.

19. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Well, he's only behind Heinze in the pecking order if Al wants him to play left back - remember, Jonathan is a center mid "naturally"

20. listen_up_fergie

listen_up_fergie New Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Montreal
    A centre-mid? I thought he was a striker in his youth who got converted to a centre-back...I could be mistaken though.

21. BaaBaaBlackSheep

BaaBaaBlackSheep New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    Kaka-nada,uh,Canada
    Spector is able to play all over really haha. I think he started out as a striker, but then switched to mid but then was switched to defence lol. Anyways, good luck to Jon, first team football will really help him out. Can't wait to see him. :D

22. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    lol, no he's not.

23. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Oh please, lets not go there.. :rolleyes: :p

24. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Cygan's "badness" is overrated. He's not as bad as people make him out to be.
    As for Spector - he's not ready to start for United. That much is obvious. So might as well loan him out to Charlton.

25. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA

The odds are very strong that the majority of the players you mentioned will never manage more than 10 appearances each for United.

People are always excited by prospects - and they should be - but you're lucky if one in 5 "can't miss prospects" pans out.