Spector: Charlton v. Pompey, 4/17 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BuffloSoldier, Apr 17, 2006.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I think it's better that he plays all over the map right now, especially not in CD - he's still young enough to improve his game and on the wings he will have more time on the ball, less pressure to make the safe clear, more ability to get forward, more involvement in passing combos etc. - all skills that will help him even if he's eventually pressed back into central defense.

2. The Wisdom Cube

The Wisdom Cube New Member

Oct 7, 2005
    Clemson, SC
    I think he was at right back, as Luke Young is out injured right now. His right foot is his strong one by the way, so maybe easier to play there than on the left side.

3. Cpvault

Cpvault New Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Grover Beach, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone seems to be pretty optomistic that Spector will recover from a Dislocated shoulder in a few weeks. It doesn't quite work like that. I dislocated my shoulder 7 weeks ago in game--and because mine was a rare Posterior (pushed out the back) dislocation, my expected recovery time is 5-8 months--that's with no surgery. His recovery time will be based on a couple of factors:

1. Was it an Anterior or Posterior dislocation?
    2. Did the shoulder have to be re-set by a Doctor or did it reduce itself (which mine did reduce itself).
    3. How much soft tissue he ripped through
    4. Did he develop a Hill Sac lesion (compression fracture) on the humerus head, which is common in certain dislocations? I was told that if my Hill Sacs lesion was any bigger I'd for sure have to have surgery.

If it was an Anterior Dislocation he's looking at 3 months recovery minimum. Now, a separated shoulder (which involves the AC joint) can heal within a month or so depending on the severity. Just some info everyone should keep in mind!

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    What a load of cr... oh, nevermind.

5. The Wisdom Cube

The Wisdom Cube New Member

Oct 7, 2005
    Clemson, SC
    By the way, when they said this on the audio, they also mentioned that he had been taken to the hospital for X-rays. We'll know how long he'll be out for soon enough...

6. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CA webpage confirms a dislocated shoulder, but nothing else yet.

7. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who are these people? Spector is a good player, but he won't make the World Cup roster just because he sometimes starts in the EPL.

What bad games have Albright and Hejduk had in MLS? Both are consistently good performers in MLS. Which makes the comparison to Spector, who appears to be an inconsistent performer in the EPL, about equal.

Well, here I can't agree with you. While the EPL is one of the best leagues in the world and MLS is not even close, the thing about soccer is that there are a lot of good players everywhere, including MLS. A bad player in the EPL is at best a mediocrity elsewhere, including MLS.

But this debate misses the point, it's performance at the National Team level that matters -- only in extreme circumstances and close competitions will club play ever do more than get you in the door. Spector either established he is a contender in BA's eyes in camp or in National Team games, or he hasn't. If he has, his last minute form will be a positive or a negative -- depending whose judgment you believe. If he hasn't, it won't matter.

8. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    actually, I think Berhalter just got his ticket punched.

9. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    1. But Hejduk and Albright should because they always start in MLS? I know that is not the point you are making but you are making an issue of the fact that Spector doesn't always start - as if he did it would mean he is a better player. Spector would be a starter on any team in MLS

2. You must not watch much MLS if you think Albright & Hejduk are always good. Both bring certain things to a game. I actually like Hejduk because there is a role for him. But, Albright is a failed forward playing right back in a lieague where his attacking skills are able to overcome his questionable defensive skills. As good as he can be in MLS, he would probably be in over his head in the EPL because he would be too busy spinning around in circles trying to defend skilled & speedy wingers to get past midfield more than two or three times per match. Against Chivas the other night he spent 70+% past midfield and that played to his strength.

3. There are probably 15-20 guys in MLS that could do well in the Premiership but there are 10 times that in the Premiership that could do well in MLS. While there are exceptions to the rule, the general rule is that a guy playing in the Premiership is a better player than one not capable of playing in the Premiership. Neither Albright nor Hejduk look capable of playing in the Premiership at this point in their careers.

4. We tend to be the only nation in the world that believes this crap. We get fooled into placing too much importance on USMNT games because we play so damn many of them. But, the truth is, we normally play bad teams with less than half our best players, so judging anyone only (or even mostly) by what they've recently done on the national team is a mistake. An example is how many of us made Eddie Johnson a lock to start in the world cup based upon a bunch of goals he scored against concacaf teams. But, if we look at his club games over the past 1-2 years, they really haven't been so great. Now, as his luck has run out a bit with the nats, we are left with a huge question mark at forward and no real time to address it.

10. ChcgoStingInMyBlood

Jun 15, 2005
    I watched the Charlton-Middlesborough FA replay game and being the provincial American I am, watched Mr. Spector quite closely. It was quite an up and down game for the kid.

Ironically enough, the first Charlton goal started from a throw-in from Jonathan - he won't be taking any more of those any time soon whether he returns relatively quickly or not. That play actually really impressed me. He held the ball and faked a throw or two, or just changed his mind, before finally throwing it in. The fans were getting a little impatient and you could hear the start of some jeers, but he patiently waited for something to open up and then threw a perfect pass which resulted in a ball played to the scorer of the goal (can't remember who). He has been taking a lot of throw ins for Charlton, yeah I know so what, but if a guy is accurate and has power when doing that (and Jonathan does) that can be a very dangerous tool. I'm bummed about the injury as I think that is a thing lacking from the USMNT.

I was never able to verify as I missed the slow-motion replay, but I think he should have been given an own goal in the first half, although it was as a last-ditch attempt to clear a ball that had fallen to a striker on the other side in front of the goal. Of course, immediately preceding the goal, he was sort of looking around for something to do while Middlesborough built up the attack that led to the goal - he looked lost and I swear there was a man within 15 feet of him who needed to be marked.

On Charlton's second goal, he had a nice run that lead to the confusion by the Middlesborough keeper that caused an own goal.

Then, with his team down two and in injury time, he is banged up on a play near the Charlton goal, and goes to the ground - but out of bounds. He doesn't finish the game and Charlton has to complete injury time with only 10 men. An injury is an injury but if he is going to go down, do it in bounds and force the stretcher to come out and maybe buy your team an extra 30 seconds. Then he walks off the field when the game is done with a what appeared to be only a slight limp - I realize that coming to conclusions about a player's guts based on what you see on the television is dangerous, but I expected it to be a lot worse than a limp with the way he went down.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the guy, he is just 20 so we'll have to be patient, but at least he is getting his fire test in some big matches and that can only be good.

11. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    I'm curious, has it been said anywhere whether or not the alternates not named to the WC roster will also be called into the camp? For European guys it certainly seems plausible... I ask because I believe only the final 23 were originally in camp in '02.

Eddie Lewis might not be in camp on time because of the promo playoffs. Although Spector may be the only alternate that plays in Europe. Maybe Berhalter as well.

Sorry, but has there been any indication of this?

12. socrne1

socrne1 Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 12, 2003
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your joking here right?

13. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

No. No indication yet. Last time actually Vanney and Cher were in the camp although they were just alternates. (Remember Vanney was in france atthe time.) So possibly Spector will go to camp too. Maybe Pearce will join him. Or Casey. No MLS alternates though as you say.

14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    No news and now, stating the obvious, Jonathan's injury appears to be far more serious than a fortnighter.

15. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sorry for being the bearer of bad news guys. Came across this on ESPN checking on how the Canadians in England did today.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=365193&cc=5901

Spector's World Cup hopes in jeopardy

Chad Winger, Yanks-Abroad.com

Charlton defender Jonathan Spector has seen the rest of his season -- and potential World Cup roster spot -- thrown into serious doubt after having suffered a frightening shoulder injury in Charlton's home match Monday night with Portsmouth.

Spector would be stretchered off The Valley field after a fierce collision with Pompey striker Benjani Mwaruwari in the 37th minute.

"I can confirm that [Jonathan] has dislocated his shoulder," agent Steve Kelly told YA Monday evening. "He has already been to the hospital and the injury has been confirmed."

With only three matches left in the Premiership campaign and FIFA's World Cup roster deadline in less than a month, a full recovery seems unlikely, but Kelly took the cautious approach.

"It is still too early to know exactly how much time that he will miss, we should know more in the next few days."

"But at the moment it does not look too good."

Charlton went on to win the contest 2-1 behind second half goals from Bryan Hughes and Darren Bent.

16. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Ugh...

Get well soon Jon.

I wonder if he even paid attention to the Jamaica match and knew that his chances had increased? I'm sure he realized it a bit.

What a downer for him.

17. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would you say that?

18. owendylan

owendylan Member