SPECTOR ARTICLE-SouthLondonPress-9/9/05

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by 2ndstarright, Sep 11, 2005.

1. 2ndstarright

2ndstarright New Member

Feb 29, 2004
    The Chi
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Fifteen words and most of a sentence before using "massive" or "brilliant." Could be a record.

3. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A young man with a very firm grasp of reality. Maybe we here should listen to him when he states that getting into the charlton side is step one, playing there throughout the season is step two and then, only then, does he hope that BA might take a look at him for the cup. Maybe this sort of logical progression, sensible outlook, can serve as an example to us all.

Nah. Start him now, Bruce. :D

4. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Start him now Bruce? Are you nuts?
    Sure he was full of promise a couple months ago, but that's ancient history. Sure maybe he wasn't starting because he was injured, but he's healthy now and if he still can't get on as a starter, we may have to face facts that he isn't going to be the defender we all expected. It's too bad as he looked like the real deal, but apparently now is washed up.

Ok, on the serious side. One of the things I've always liked about Spector was his confidence and composure with the ball at his feet. He's looked like a good defender but there are tons of defenders out there with the physical tools. What sets Spector apart was his mental game - particularly for a young player.
    It's nice to see that carry over into an interview where he lays out a logical progression for his career.

For what it's worth (not much), I do think he's got a chance to be on the World Cup roster in Germany.

5. Granitza78

Granitza78 Member

Aug 13, 2003
    So. Fla
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jon is a great talent no doubt.

Unfortunately, his POOR performance in the 2nd round of the under-20 tourny should give BA some pause before adding him to the final '06 WC squad.
    I'm certain BA would want a more experienced fullback on the bench in Germany, not someone who could fold like Jonathan did in Holland.
    Granted, he is smart, skilled,quick and will get some first team time with Charlton, but the stakes are going to be too high to put him on the field next summer.
    He WILL be our 1st team LB in 2010, 2014 and probably 2018! Jonathan will be Great!

6. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I am getting so sick of this bashing of USMNT possibles. Did the KID have a good game v. Italy? No. Did he have a bad game? Absolutely. So let's talk about the cause for his poor performance......He was injured in the first game for the US team and was playing his first game back from that injury. So while he had a bad performance, one shouldn't judge him based solely on the performance. Period. Plus he was playing CB, not right or left back like he would with the USMNT. Plus it is not like Vanney tore it up v. Guatemala or Hejduk has been fantastic with the USMNT backing up Dolo. Everyone has their positives and negative performances.

7. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Actually, he was injured and should not have played in the game, you are right. But the manager wanted to play him... obviously felt that Spector at 50% was better than any other altenative. Don't get me wrong though... I think the coach was nuts for doing that.

8. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Hopefully we start to learn that lesson. Poor Nate Sturgis had to sit for a 75% Spector despite having a very good tournament. I'm sorry but we have the depth not to play injured players.

9. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone who thinks a curly haired mullet looks good cannot possibly have a firm grasp on reality

10. Granitza78

Granitza78 Member

Aug 13, 2003
    So. Fla
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jonathan could have shown his grasp on reality by telling Sigi - Hey I'm clearly not up to par - let Nate play instead. Jonathan DIDNT do that and it showed his lack of maturity & experience. God forbid he pulls that off in Germany next summer.

11. jägermeister

jägermeister New Member

May 18, 2004
    Hannover
    Sturgis sat while Dalby played. Ugghh.

12. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What people fail to mention is that Spector has a mullet. And it's very, very important to have someone with a mullet on any soccer team. The lack of a mullet has been holding my Metros back for years.

Of course, Gooch has that hideous cornrow/mullet thing going. That might count. Either way, you have to admire someone with the guts to combine the two worst hairstyle of all time. That takes some balls.

13. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I suppose if you met him face-to-face, you would inform him of your low opinion of his hairstyle?

http://photobucket.com/albums/b74/sachsen/US vs Mexico 9-3-05/?action=view&current=Gooch.jpg

14. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    And if Pedro Martinez had told Grady Little he needed to come off the field, the Red Sox would've won the ALCS a year sooner and probably taken the Series. Was Martinez too young and inexperienced?

Bottom line is that no competitor is going to say he's not up to play. That's the coach's responsibility. That's why European soccer writers and broadcasters speak of players "failing a fitness test" before a game.

15. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back when I was a journalist I asked Ron Artest if he knew he was the dirtiest player in college basketball. No offense to Gooch, but I'm pretty sure I'd find the sack to ask about his (ridiculous) hairstyle if the situation warranted.

ps - Just because someone is large, black and wearing a do-rag doesn't make him intimidating. Particularly when he's hugging a pudgy little cracker like the one in the picture you linked.

16. LittleMaradona

Feb 25, 2001
    What's the worst that could happen? He's going to fly off the handle and punch you for asking, at which point you can turn around and sue him for a cool mil.

17. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That "pudgy little cracker" is my son.

Asswipe.

18. Sir Nigel Sorebottom

Sep 14, 2005
    Takoma Park MD
    This is Post of the Year material. Or at least, post of the last few hours.

19. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    vote for pedro