Special One is thick

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by davisplaid, Aug 23, 2006.

1. davisplaid

davisplaid New Member

Aug 5, 2002
    durham
    Apparently the idea of seperate competitions is beyond him, as he keeps mentioning league form which other than placement in the following season season's competition doesn't matter. I realize he's special, but any ftard could see that Chelski have not done anything in Europe. Beating Citeh didn't change that. Didn't he know of thier lack of success whne he signed up. Why not let Arsenal be seeded first becasue their name starts with an A.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=376840&cc=5901

2. kireinatenchi

kireinatenchi It's getting old

Jun 5, 2005
    The glass city, Ohio
    What an idiot. I'm just so sick of him.
    He gives me a serious headache.

3. Milkman

Milkman New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hilarious how quickly he "forgot" the way the competition works - the same competition that got him promoted from Porto manager to Chelsea manager... he's talking about how teams that progress are lucky and not the best in Europe - well Porto winning the Champions League in 2004 is the very definition of a team being lucky and not being the best in Europe.

4. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore

Funny how some people forget, isn't it?

5. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    i don't think it's that unreasonable. i mean, as you've noted, league positioning does matter in champions' league matters. it determines not only who is eligible, but also determines who gets into the group stages automatically, and who has to qualify.

if league form is the criteria for getting the 'better' teams through to the group stages, then why is it unreasonable to utilize the same criteria to get them to the knockout stages? i mean, there's a reason they don't use some uefa coefficient to determine who has to play qualifying matches, right?

i'm not saying that they should change it, by any means. and i am as amused by mourinho's whining as much as anyone. but it doesn't seem all that rediculous to me. if all he's saying is that the system is flawed, i can't really disagree. for my money, i'd prefer a straight, unseeded, take-what-you-get draw like so many domestic cups have. but if there is a purpose to seeding, then mourinho's right.

6. davisplaid

davisplaid New Member

Aug 5, 2002
    durham

SEEDING is based on how you've done in UEFA competitions....which is perfectly reasonable. Bayern Munich should be seeded based on its performance against other European clubs, not because they run through the weaker Bundesliga every season. At any rate as you point out, there is an arguement to changing the seeding (even if its bollocks) but what makes Jose a c*nt of this highest order is his failure to understand why things are how they are as if football started in 2004.

7. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    of course. you always look the tool when you wait until after the system has worked to your disadvantage before you register your criticism of the system.

8. Andes

Andes New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    I don't know what he's mourning about? Afterall.... Isn't him supposed to be the SPECIAL ONE?

A manager so SPECIAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLL, to go alone his sugar daddy's massive finanical back up, why he should care Chelsea is seeded or not? Even if he had to play Barca, Real Madrid, Inter in the group stage, for a manager so SPECCCCCIIIIIIIIIAAAAAAAAAALLLLL, his team should have no problem to qualify shouldn't they?! :D :D :D

9. DougG_ATL

DougG_ATL Member

Jul 5, 2005
    metro Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amazing how, after all of Richie Abramorich's cash he's spent and how many world-class players they have, Mourinho still shudders at the mere idea of playing Barcelona. He's so deathly afraid that the Catalans will give his team a beating, yet he acts like Arsenal are a Division Two team.

With lesser monies available to him, he'd be scrambling for Chelsea to finish mid-table.

10. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stopped listening to or caring about what Mourinho said a long time ago. It's all nonsense anyway.

11. goonsquad

goonsquad Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We really need to shut this guy up by ramming some goals down his throat when we next meet Chelsea.

12. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "For me, being champions is more important than the past for seeding."

I love how winning the Premiership LAST SEASON is more important than how you did in the CL LAST SEASON. He has a weird definition of "the past".

"Liverpool were champions and over 30 points behind Chelsea in the league, not even in the top four in the Premiership."

Didn't they go through his vaunted team to do that? Seems to me that if his "ranking at home determines CL quality" Liverpool shouldn't have won.

What the "Special One" cannot accept is that while money buys championships in the Premiership (where over the course of season being three deep in internationals is a huge asset) he cannot lead his men to victory in tournaments.

Sir Alex took superior assets and wona a triple, Jose can only win a war of attrition in the Premiership with his millions. Someone is having a bit of tophy envy I think.

13. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From your mouth to God's ears!

14. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just know that if Chelski do well in the CL this season, fail to win the Prem, and would be seeded over a Prem team that finished higher in the league Moaninho will be claiming that the CL seeding is perfect the way it is. :rolleyes: