Special Olympics and ending the r-word

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Cabster22, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Cabster22

Cabster22 New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Special Olympics is trying to put an end to the use of the "r-word," or retard, in an inappropriate context.

From CNN.com:
    What do you guys think? A movement you can get behind?

2. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I would be sad to see it go. Though if it dies, 'Something About Mary" gets even funnier.

3. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Raising awareness is always nice, but nobody can make a word go away. It just gets driven out of polite company, and often takes on an even more negative connotation due to the taboo. And even if you could accomplish that intentionally, what would be the point? Words don't create disrespect; they just reflect it. As long as people react to disabled persons with disgust, fear or derision, then it won't matter what words they use. The attitudes have to change, not just the words.

EDIT: Also, these campaigns sometimes backfire. I remember I used to laugh a lot at these ads on the subways about people with developmental disabilities. I'm sorry, but they were funny.

4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Why do you people always miss the sitters? FYP. :D

5. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The funny thing about language is that the word "retarded" came into common usage as a non-derogatory alternative to the previous clinical terms "idiot", "imbecile", and "moron", which had gained too much of a derogatory connotation. Probably "retarded" ad "retard" are going to eventually join those words and only be used as a general "you're stupid" put-down pretty much disconnected from their technical meaning, and the polite replacement terms will gradually drift into derogatory usage.

6. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a retarded idea if there ever was one.

;)

7. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    This is only getting attention because the right wing retard PC police are still trying to make an issue of Obama's rather funny joke.

8. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Ridiculous. There will always be another word coming down the pike...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvdJFnb5spo"]YouTube - Theres something about Mary - "I work with retards"[/ame]

9. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    "Exceptional, my ass."

[​IMG]

11. m1150

m1150 New Member

Mar 3, 2007
    "Retarded" started as a politically correct version of words like "idiot." Whatever they replace "retarded" with will eventually find its way into jokes and wind up just as offensive as "retarded." Then they'll come up with another word for the same concept, and so on.

This is what Stephen Pinker calls the "euphemism treadmill."

12. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Yeah and anyway, "JeremyEritrea" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

13. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    rofl

14. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    I'd wager that the "PC police" are left wing and not right wing. You really think that a good ol'boy cares about someone else's feelings?

15. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    Don't ever use the word 'spaz' around a Brit, or you'll look a right c_unt. They hate that word.

16. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  17. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    $5 bin at Walmart this week. Me thinks I will pick one up.

18. shinyyy

shinyyy New Member

May 24, 2006
    Hamburg
    That's actually a really good heads up for me. Does it mean something else to them?
    This whole thing is pretty stupid anyway. Even if 'banning' a word stopped its usage, it doesn't stop cruelty to retarded people(yes i will continue to use the damn word) and TBH, retard is about the least cruel term you could come up with.

19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Actually, with the combination of hard consonants, the balanced "r's", and the flowing assonance of the vowels, it kind of does roll off the tongue. But that's the sort of thing you'd expect a short-bus passenger to miss.

20. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pshaw. Everyone knows the Shriver family is at the heart of the vast right-wing conspiracy.

21. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Whatever, retard.

22. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Social psychology experiments have demonstrated that the reverse is actually true as well: you can change attitudes by first changing behavior.

I've always disliked the use of "retarded" as a pejorative. It's grossly unfair, and there's absolutely no doubt at all that the word is chosen specifically for actual meaning. It's an ugly slur.

23. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My daughter came home from high school with a card saying "use the other R-word: respect". I've already caught her describing someone as "full of respect".

24. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Insulting people would be much easier if instead of telling me what I can't say, I could have a list of what I can say. Examples illustrated with pictures would be helpful.

25. Cabster22

Cabster22 New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Washington, DC

It's not about being PC - it's about having respect for people with intellectual disabilities, and accepting a group of people who are frequently bullied, lampooned, and socially isolated. If the word is hurting feels, I don't mind stopping using it.