Speaking of college (NCAA dead period)

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by sam_gordon, May 28, 2020.

1. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
  2. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    College coaches are not allowed to meet with prospects on or off campus, and they are not allowed to go out and watch games. It keeps the coaches home, and they are doing it for obvious reasons.

This dead period does not affect their ability to talk on the phone. So they can still call 2022 grad's on June 15.

3. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
  4. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Limiting contact. That's all NCAA is trying to do. Limit people coming to campus. Limit coaches going out in public to events, who then may go back to campus.

Can't say I've seen much leadership from NCAA [ever], so this is a big step for them.

If recruits were actually serious, they could have done A LOT for their own recruiting over the last 12+ weeks. Sadly, the small sample that I've communicated with does not point to positive recruiting by the prospective student-athlete.

5. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    I'm concerned about a rising junior. He has no idea where he wants to play nor what level he wants to play. He is in communication with one coach in NC who said he liked DS's highlight video and he's going to camp there next month (assuming the camp is held).

We have another highlight video we need to finish, but we did a "120 yards with " video and his sister interviewed him and posted that. It's gotten 41 views, but some (if not most) are just family & friends.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  6. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rising junior, plenty of time. It’s not a hard process. I can help any time.

CornfieldSoccer repped this.
  7. winster

winster Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Club:
    Besiktas JK
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the NCAA was concerned about spreading the virus so much as maintaining competitive balance. If some coaches aren't allowed to get out and recruit (either by the states or their schools), but other coaches can recruit, that would constitute an unfair competitive advantage.

8. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This "dead period" is done for one reason, and one reason only: $$$.

The NCAA needs to get bowls and most importantly, March Madness in. If they don't get them in this year, it could be belly-up for NCAA. All incentives are there to keep football and men's basketball playing to get the money coming around.

The more that players are in/out of campus, coaches doing the same, etc. the more likely schools and programs are being shutdown and quarantined. Limit all that, so football and basketball can go on and NCAA gets their payday.

upper left repped this.
  9. charlessoccer

charlessoccer New Member

Manchester United
    France
    Oct 20, 2020
    This is a great resource if you have kids going through recruiting during the dead period and still want to remain competitive. There are a ton of options now to basically use video to cover many of the aspects of recruiting (e.g. Trace's camera system but the Trace iD for recruiting is blowing up with more kids relying on video). Also...
    • Taping training sessions and sending them to coaches
    • Traveling out of state / guest playing for showcases if your state has shut down soccer
    • Relying more heavily on highlight videos
    • Building stronger virtual relationships with coaches (lots of Zoom meetings!)
    https://traceup.com/recording-soccer-games-recruiting-dead-period