Speak English at World Cup

Discussion in 'France' started by MiamiAce, Mar 22, 2006.

1. MiamiAce

MiamiAce New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Miami, USA
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=362401&cc=5901

Hey guys,

Just wondering what some of our French speakers think about FIFA's decision to make English the official language between referees and players. To be honest, English is my first language, but I don't think this is right.

2. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    English is the most dominant language in the world. It is lingua franca to most countries.

What's the problem with that?

Choosing a language that most of the world can understand? :confused:

3. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I think its another example of American imperialism and the subversion of world culture through the exportation of the mass media and corporate influence through an indoctrination of the world's population by means of a capitalist free market economy which marginalises local traditions, languages, and peoples.

Thats what I think!

Oh yeah.... Vive La France!

:D

4. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't see why we need to institutionalize a certain language as the "official" one. The system has worked fine thus far. Who cares if the common language between the ref and team captains is Spanish? Let them speak whatever they want and get on with it.

5. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Well when France play Togo in the World Cup and the referee in charge happens to be from Belguim - I doubt he will start using English.

6. Pierre-Henri

Pierre-Henri New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Strasbourg, France.
    Refs barely speak anyway. They use gestures and the cards most of the time. And, unless they are colorblind, the players know what they mean.

7. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    True. If you watch any match (especially in England, which is probably the most diverse league in Europe) players and refs communicate just fine. Players know when they've commited a foul by a simple whistle, and football is simple to the point where hand gestures or pointing get across 99% of everything needed.

And besides, English, besides Mandarin Chinese (which doesn't really apply here), is the world's most widely spoken language.

8. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Exactly, and I'm sure FIFA knows this, so why the hell officially establish English as the language to be used? Again, the system is fine as it is...

9. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Correction its the most widely spoken first language.

And doesn't have lingua franca status throughout the world.

10. tino11

tino11 New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Karlsruhe - Germany
    Surely you mean English imperialism???

Otherwise the referees will be calling each other dog and they would be hanging 10, 24/7!

11. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I think this was a thread started merely to perpetuate the stereotype that the French hate to speak English.

12. tino11

tino11 New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Karlsruhe - Germany
    Well if they don't like it they can go on strike.....oh hang on.

13. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Ding ding ding ding!!!! We have a winner!

14. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Oh, and by the way, there are more Spanish speakers in the world then English speakers as well.

15. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    not so fast... first of all, it doesn't affect what language the refs will speak on the pitch. the priniple of putting together refs that speak the same language is already in use.

it's unfortunate that this is going to be a criterion for selecting officials, but most top level refs already speak several languages at the level they need to do their job; for example, collina's french was pretty good, and his english probably better.

and don't forget what FIFA stands for...;)

what really gets me is that the WC has to have an official everything, from a barfy official mascot to an official aspirin.

but the worst of the worst of the worst? the official beer... budweiser! in germany! now that's, sick!:eek:

16. Gnafron

Gnafron Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Lyon, Cx-Rousse
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    In the FIFA board there's even a well respected official incompetence. :cool:

17. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Amen. I'm surprised the Germans aren't rioting in the streets over that one. Hell, I feel like rioting myself!

18. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Qu'est-ce qu'il a dit ? :confused:

19. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    je ne sais pas. :(

20. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The idea being that the thread was started with the hope that it would stir up the French board into a WTF is this shit type of argument. Since nobody here really cares what language the officials speak, that never materialized now did it?

21. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    1. England has about 500 times the soccer economy of the US
    2. The English wrote the rulebook and an Englishman, by regulation, is one of the 3-person panel that must OK any rules changes
    3. I don't think that's what you think, I think it's what someone else thought, and wrote, and you are repeating. :D

Anyway I agree with you all, in seeing no need for any "official language"

22. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France