Sparta Prague vs Liverpool-Europa League 1st Leg-Mar 7 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Suss, Mar 4, 2024.

1. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Kelleher
    Bradley Quansah Virgil Tsmikas
    Endo
    McConnell Clark
    Elliott Gakpo Diaz​

Virgil and Konate do 45 minutes each. Endo and Mac Allister 45 minutes each. Nunez plays the last 30 minutes. Szobo plays the last 30 minutes. Will Salah be available for the bench?

Get a decent result in Prague so we can finish the job at Anfield.

Edit: I forgot about Jayden Danns as an option. I would love to see him involved.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  2. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    going to be another rotation-based game as you note.

I think we may be looking to hold a draw in this game - or nick a win. I don't think it will be a walkover and even less so with the mix and match lineup.

3. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've only been to Prague once. It would be nice to go back, but Thursday is a bit too soon given I need to renew my passport. Oh well. The boys will just have to win without me in attendance.

usscouse repped this.
  4. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    With our injuries, there’s a decent chance you’d have made the bench.

5. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Cody's played a million minutes recently, and it shows. I'd give him the night off completely and let Danns do the 90.

edit: I'd like to see Joe get the night off as well.

6. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Bench??? He gets the start.

7. Binomial

Binomial Member

Liverpool
    Andorra
    Feb 5, 2024
    I'd start strong-ish and try bringing back a 2 or 3 goal advantage with the view to resting more in the home tie, also 1 eye has to be on City just 3 days later.

Kelleher, Gomez Konate Quansah Tsimikas, Endo Szobo Mac, Gakpo Danns Nunez

8. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think Gakpo depends on if we can get Salah back for Sunday. If Sunday can be Salah, Nunez, Diaz we can ask Gakpo to go again here. If Gakpo is going to start the weekend, I agree that he could use a rest.

I also agree on Gomez. I think he will start against City so he gets rested here.

9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Mo is training with the team today. :)

delaynomo and LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  10. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Oh-oh.

(See my post in the Injuries thread).

11. Binomial

Binomial Member

Liverpool
    Andorra
    Feb 5, 2024
    Jolly good.

The team are flying out in the next few hours aren't they? Be interested to see if he's included with the travelling party or if he'll stay behind at Kirkby to step up his training.

12. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Can’t believe he won’t get some PT before the City game

13. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Liverpool travelling squad:
    Gomez, Endo, Van Dijk, Konate, Diaz, Szoboszlai, Nunez, Mac Allister, Salah, Adrian, Gakpo, Elliott, Tsimikas, Robertson, Clark, Gordon, McConnell, Kelleher, Koumas, Quansah, Bradley, Musialowski, Mrozek.

14. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Score early, establish a rhythm, let the kids finish the game comfortably.

No injuries please!

YNWA

usscouse repped this.
  15. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Liverpool can reach two goalscoring milestones when they face Sparta Prague in the Europa League, while an impressive defensive statistic could also be achieved.

Liverpool are now only two goals short of scoring 1,000 under Klopp, while one more is needed to get to 250 in the three guises of this competition.

They have also scored in 51 of their last 52 games, which bodes well.

As an added aside, the Reds could keep a fourth consecutive clean sheet for the first time since April 2022.

Binomial repped this.
  16. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Speaking during his pre-match press conference on Wednesday evening, Klopp noted: “We obviously watched Sparta now and it was interesting, [it was] an intense week for them as well.

“Two games against Slavia [Prague], so obviously a pretty special week. One game, the cup, they won and the other game they kept the distance in the table with a draw, so that’s obviously very helpful.

“Since the manager [Brian Priske] is in, things turned around, which you can see. Becoming champions after such a long time, you can see that in the confidence the team is playing with, a clear idea, very intense.

“But our idea is always a little bit like [that] – and I don’t want to get it misunderstood – they never played us. So, as good as they are – and they are good – we will see how it will work out.

“How Macca [Alexis Mac Allister] said, we expect a really tough game, but that means we expect from ourselves that we will play a top game and if we can do that it is not a joy to play against us, so that’s what we hope.

“Sparta are obviously in a very good moment and I think everybody who is with Sparta would say the exactly the same.”

Klopp insisted there is no chance of the Reds’ immediate focus being fixed on anything other than Thursday’s assignment in Prague.

The manager continued: “As far as I know it is the only game we play tomorrow night so that’s the most important game we have. We don’t make any difference.

“We would not have won the League Cup, we would not be in the next round of the FA Cup, we would not still be in the Europa League if we would prioritise a competition.

“We never did – maybe it would be smart if we do it, but I am a bit dumb so I don’t know how to do that, and we go in each game with all we have and hopefully you will see that tomorrow night. That’s the target.”

17. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Clean Sheet?
    I thought it was a Klopp plan to give up an early goal so the team will fight harder in the second half then get the winner in the 93rd minute.

18. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found a pub!!!! (I mean it's London ..... it was a close call).

19. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Sounds like a joke - "how many Americans does it take to find a pub in London?"

20. Binomial

Binomial Member

Liverpool
    Andorra
    Feb 5, 2024
    Just hit Camden Town, pretty much every other street there has about 4-5 pubs lined up on them.

21. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With family blah blah near hotel blah blah. Etc.

22. Binomial

Binomial Member

Liverpool
    Andorra
    Feb 5, 2024
    Gone very strong has Kloppo, no messing around from him. He wants this quad.

23. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2024-3-7_11-1-35.jpeg

MO’s on the bench!

Ynwa

24. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think it’s more that he thinks his players need this game to be in rhythm for City. Klopp’s teams have always peaked when they are playing lots of games.

Rhythm is more important than rest is the conclusion I make from this lineup.

CB-West and Wingtips1 repped this.
  25. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    If you're a player, you want to be playing in all these games.
    You'll take it a bit easier on your training days so you can have your legs for the games.

That said, please don't risk Mo.
    Let him shake off the rust in the first 15 minutes of the citeh game than risk him here.