Spark that soccer needs in the US

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by dmike, Jul 19, 2005.

1. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im pretty sure this has been discussed but im to lazy to search for the threads LOL. So what's gonna spark soccer to get bigger in the US. Hockey had their spark when they beat the Russians in the Olympics, Baseball exploded during the WW2 era, Ali taking Boxing to a new level etc. Will it take one specific athlete to make the sport popular?? Keeping in mind the American ecomy. If Soccer was even close to getting NHL revenue , MLS teams would have the liberty to get high class players with anything close to a NHL Cap. So what does soccer need to do to grasp this opportunity??? The MFL is already leeching off our market.

2. mac9579

mac9579 New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Pennsylvania
    what is the MFL?

3. yure323

yure323 New Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Necropolis
    Mexican football (soccer) league

4. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-3 new investors in Major League Soccer, who can build stadiums and present the sport to its fans in a manner that many US soccer fans are hungry for.

New blood and deep pockets to breakup the AEG hegemony is needed and would shake things up in a positve and much needed way.

5. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    I think it will be a combination of two factors:

- patience. Soccer is growing slowly, it will take time for the generation(s) of soccer haters/ignorant to give way to the generation(s) of kids growing up with the game currently. When these kids get to be adults it will grow.

- Other sports pissing off the fans. Between the steroids, players strikes and owners/players arguing over salaries/revenues when the money they are talking about is obscenely high. All of this alienates some of the fan base.

6. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Anybody who thinks that there will be some sudden "spark" that will cause soccer to explode in the US is going to be greatly disappointed. This sport will be built one team at a time, one stadium at a time, and one fan at a time. There are no shortcuts. Progress will be so slow that we will not even realize the sport is growing until we look back a few years and see the accomplishments. In the words of a (sorta) great philosopher--"Baby steps. Baby steps."

But if you want to be optomistic, look back on the last 5 or 10 years and see what has been accomplished so far. The number of SSS's being built, the continual improvement of the USMNT, a MLS team that actually makes a profit, the quality players who pop up out of each MLS rookie class--it's happening, just very slowly.

7. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    No kidding. I'm amused by the people who think that if the US wins the World Cup, soccer will suddenly supplant baseball as the summer sport of choice. My guess is that a World Cup win would result in a minor and temporary bump in attendance at MLS matches, but nothing long term. For long term growth, we have to grow the domestic leagues, one baby step at a time. A search for instant gratification will be as disastrous as it was for the NASL.

8. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it would help if MLB, NBA, Golf, Texas Holdem, and NFL would all just collapse :rolleyes:

9. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that it will speed things up, but I saw an interview with David Beckham the other day. He said that he was very interested MLS. Some more people with his influence on the sport could be a "baby step" in the right direction.

I've also been quite impressed by the huge crowds at the CONCACAF Gold Cup games that I've been able to watch. I seem to remember seeing somewhere, that there were like 65,000 fans and the double header Sunday between Mex v Columbia and Sud Africa v Panama. That's mind boggling for here in the US!

10. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    Perception. It's all about the perception of importance. Teens are greatly influenced by their peers.
    The sports media, when mentioning soccer on their shows, have to do it with fervor, enthusiasm. When they show team highlights, they have to talk about the highlights with a sense of excitement, seriousness and zeal. Just like they do for other sports. Just like they fall all over themselves when they analyze baseball and NFL football.
    In other words, they have to attach a label of importance to the sport.
    This has the ability to imbue the minds of youth with a perception of importance for this sport.

But when they denigrate the sport, when they treat it as "kiddish", well, guess what... only little kids will follow it. At some point in their life(around 13-15 years old), these kids will stop following soccer. I mean, for teen males growing into young adults, who really wants to follow a sport that is perceived by adults as, well... unimportant.
    They want to follow a sport that adults follow.

Bottom line: the sports media(i.e. your local news, national talk shows such as Sportscenter, etc...) has the ability, if they so choose, to influence the perception of a sport. Especially soccer, considering so many millions of kids played it.

I believe this has the greatest influence.

11. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    I think bbsbt is 100% correct.

12. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA
    well said

13. pienaldo

pienaldo New Member

Jul 18, 2005
    England
    I think it will take time....because as I gather the youth of america are huge fans of watching and playing soccer.....and in a around 10 years time (or less) the american national team will be a major force of football on the world stage.....

Or more short term would be if a player such as Adu would join a massive club like real madrid, Man u, chelsea etc would be marketable prospect in the states.

14. Joe Stoker

Joe Stoker Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Stokerland
    bbsbt said it. Whether it's the sinking of the Maine or Desperate Housewives, the US media can make anything "important" if it suits them... in attracting more advertising $$$. They'll even create something out of nothing (arena football) to that end.

Someday, IMO, the provincial media may find that the rest of the world has either passed them by (newspapers), or is ready to techno-swallow them whole.

15. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One big spark won't bring soccer to the forefront. We've had lots of little sparks so far, and, hopefully, we'll have many more in the future. Some of our sparks have taken soccer sideways - like the success of the women's national team. My sparks:
    - NASL
    - Pele
    - Soccer Made In Germany
    - Caligiuri's goal to send us to WC '90
    - WC '94
    - Michelle, Mia and the WNT
    - MLS
    - Win over Mexico in 2001
    - Landon and DmB
    - WC 02
    - Freddy

My comment about the women's team was only that it gave some people the impression that soccer was a girls' (sissy) game. I think the women's effort has done a lot for encouraging young people and women to become involved in the game.

16. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I don't think we can overestimate the effect of the population shift in the US either. As the Central American population assimilates into American culture it is likely that they will bring passion and ratings to the sport over the next generation. I think this falls into the patience category. Any way it goes, the next fifteen or so years are going to be really interesting.

17. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Well for starters: what about to fire any MLS coach that get whoop by 5 goals or more by Morelia or Pumas or what about have any foreing players in MLS paycheck subject to performance on the field that will sparks things up ;)

18. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would also suggest people invite their soccer-skeptical friends to an MLS or Men's or Women's National Team game, or have them come over to their pad to watch a match on TV. Most people that don't like soccer have really never watched a game from start to finish. They say it's boring and action-less. I try to point out that it's more exciting than watching a pitcher continually throw over to first base to keep a runner on, even though the guy is no threat to steal 2nd! Another positive is that soccer lasts for 2 hours (maybe longer if there is extra time or penalty kicks involved). Basketball and football are great, but when the end of games get dragged out with too many time-outs taken, it spoils the experience. I like most sports--I'm not real choosy about the event, but if it's on the tube, I'll catch some of the game at least, whenever possible.

19. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    As much as I hate to say it you need stars. The casual fan will be drawn top and recognize the game by the world class stars they see. Cycling has Armstrong and NASCAR has Gordon. When Freddy first came out the public were embracing the sport as well as him. When he matures into a world class footballer then you would see more soccer in the mainstream. Soccer isn't a one man game but you need those media friendly guys to take the sport to the next level. Beckham if American would have been the perfect person since he transcends sort. Another thing forget about Donovan(he attitude is just disgusting at times; his arrogance and fear of Germany), Beasley is a genius. Looking at his performances in the Champs League and the Dutch League, this guy isn't to far away from a big money move to a Spanish or Italian side. Plus the US has no star that the world idolizes (Beasley and Adu are going to be the first along with Eddie Johnson). Then writers and radio host bash the sport because the world looks down on us.

Also MLS and National Team don't do the sport justice. The game should be played with flair and a balance between attack/defense. The MLS often times slows the game down. One writer in Chicago said Real Madrid make the game more exciting because it is uptempo, much more than the Fire v Crew. Very few coaches in America also try to appreciate God-given talent, they try to muzzle it and play the conservative game. Nowak is committing murder in DC.

Kids dream to play in the NBA or MLB because one the sports are part of the American fabric along with the fact that you can make great money. Overrated Basketball players make $8 million a year, the best MLS player makes $900,000. It doesn't help people see the MLS as the minor leagues and Europe the big time. What's wrong with MLS being a training ground for the European leagues?

Winning the World Cup with flair will provide a major boost for the sport. Good publicity will only do the sport good. Many Americans see soccer through the events in Milan and the 1985 European cup. Adu has given the sport a new chapter. Also Nike and Adidas will be major driving forces for the game.

Pele shows the sport has a future plus 70,000 people showed up to see Man Utd in NY a couple years ago. Didn't MLS Cup final get 62,000 in Boston?

20. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im pretty sure Beckham would add another 3-5k fans to seats IF he was to consider the MLS. How the hell would any MLS team afford him though???? Even in his late 30's his name alone will still gain him a pretty hefty contract. I should of added more option in the poll but im kinda leaning now to the MLS impact.

and to follow up on Juan, MLS does need stars badly. America already has a soccer fanbase but we are not taking advantage of it. I know Chicago has a huge Polish community. How would their attendance impact if they picked up one of their popular players?? I know ChivasUSA has taken that step by adding some Mexicos old legends and now Palencia guy which is real popular amongs Mexicans. As bad as Chivas USA is their attendance will still be better than the majority of MLS teams. I guess some risk are gonna have to be taken cause the current cap just won't cut it when it comes to picking up better players. This is kinda unaceptable when the American Market can be easily leeched on.

21. Holla at ya boy

May 15, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think soccer commercials should be on alot more
    and does anybody remeber the 98 world cup ronaldo commercial

22. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone's pretty much on it. Stars are defintiely important. Sponsors and owners are important. But, I think that positive press on relevant shows may be the most critical.

The media thing is so obvious that I don't want to play on it too long. I've seen a couple of instances of positive Sports Center coverage (Beckham's first free kick goal for Madrid) and tons of bad. Mostly, it's just a lack. If we could quit showing fifteen angles of a throw to first in a game that already took up 4 hours of TV time, we'd have time for soccer. Plus, if there's time to show 18 different poker shows, strong man comps (i enjoy them), and the other crap on ESPN, then surely they can squeeze in more soccer. I have a hard time beleiving there's a bigger audience for that crap than for soccer on a SPORTS network. Poker's not a sport. Niether is chess. What's next, World Monopoly Championships?

On stars on sponsors: the two are intertwined. Hockey reall ypeaked in the mid-90s. At that time, you have Gretzky still shining (Beckham) and a new generation of stars entering the game. Nike put their hat in the ring and signed the explosive Sergei Fedorov. Fedorov's Nike commercials were all over the tube. This increased his exposure and the league's. You had a huge star begin play for a US team (Roy, Aves) and start a rivalry with one of the most popular teams (Detroit) and its hot Nike star. The NBA had the same thing cooking in the 80s with Jordan/Nike, Magic, and Bird. They still milk that strategy.

The MLS should benefit from the involvement of adidas. They've been throwing on more commercials which helps. Nike need to roll Donovan, Adu, and Beasley out every once in a while. Between the two, we could really see some great US advertising. Bring Beckham to the US, and you've got gold. He's already adidas' main man and I've seen him all over on the Gilette commercials.

On Beckham, he's been talking like the MLS is in the cards. He loves the US. Posh loves the US. It's not even a money matter to him. Besides, he's got sponsor money coming out his ears. In the US, there's potential for more sponsor money than Europe. Plus, there's the fact that he would be the modern Pele so to speak. I'd be willing to bet that shirts with "Beckham" on the back out number any other European player shirts in the US. Rumors say that Becks is looking at Chicago and LA. Hmmm, didn't he jsut play in those cities?

An over looked factor is the video game. A solid video game can do wonders for a sport in this era. I have to say that EA has steadily improved their soccer. Fifa street is a great American touch. I lured a soccer hater in with Fifa 05 and got him to a Menace game this spring. Now he watches soccer on the Spanish channel...

23. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'd defantely think it has to be the stars more than anything. MLS got more attention than its had since 96 because of the star power of Adu. Just think where golf would be without Woods. Now, because of Tiger, millions of inner-city and lower SES kid are able to have lowered self-esteem, constant frustration, and a lifetime of aggrivation that comes with playing golf.

24. Holla at ya boy

May 15, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh yeah I never would even see golf on sportcenter if Tiger Woods wasnt there

25. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    Can you bet on MLS? I think that could be a big step for soccer in America.
    Also is there any chance of the USSF stating their own channel?