Spanish-language channels

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Kryptonite, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 Kryptonite, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    I'm trying to figure out if I can block the following channels from appearing in my on-screen guide:
    Univision
    Galavision
    Unimas
    Telemundo
    Universo

The only reason I would keep them around would be for soccer, which it seems like Univision Deportes has a lot of in HD.

Since I get virtually every ESPN other than Deportes plus FS1, FS2 and Fox Deportes in HD... are the five SD channels listed above worth keeping around?

I know those channels show the simultaneous WC matches, but I imagine those games will be covered by FS1 and FS2, so those don't count.

These channels used to be "soccer central" back in the day, but since Fox and ESPN picked up a lot of that stuff and turned it mainstream...it seems like they lost all their (semi)exclusive rights...and I remember having to seek out "hole in the wall" Latin restaurants that had these channels and sometimes charged a cover if you didn't buy that amount in food.

2. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    Have to ask, who is your cable/satellite provider that those 5 channels are in SD??? Most all providers I know of offer those in HD (with Galavision being the possible exception).

To solve your problem, if you have it, use the "favorite" option. You can place any channels you want as a "favorite" and have your guide show only those...

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only the last two can have World Cup 2018 games. The first three, which are Univision channels, no longer have the rights. Those three channels have less soccer with more soccer on Univision Deportes. The last two had CONCACAF WCQs and occasionally have Premier League games that are not on in English.

4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's U-Verse...one of the best for soccer, or at least the last I looked.

Oddly enough, the guide shows several Univision shows in HD (via the "HD" icon), but they're 4x3 SD displayed on my TV.

What I did so far was hide every channel I don't subscribe to plus the shopping/religious channels as well as the "SD duplicates" like ESPN-SD.

The list of channels I see when I press "guide" is fairly slimmed down compared to what it could be.

The last sentence by EvanJ tells a lot, however. Oddly enough, while U-Verse has both BeIN channels in HD, I get the English feed on my Go90 app. That plus a Chromecast was good enough for those away USA matches.

Looking ahead a few days:
    1/31

Univision has Pachuca v América at 5:55 and Santos Laguna v UANL at 7:55.
    Toluca v v León is on Galavision at 8pm.

I guess the channels stay.

5. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
  6. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where do you live? Even though the national feed of Telemundo, Univision, and Unimas are SD, I’d imagine the local affiliates are available in HD? Galavision and universo are not available OTA, so I think you’re out of luck there (although Galavision very rarely has football nowadays.)