PBP: Spain vs Italy: June 10 - Arena Gdansk [R]

Discussion in 'Group C - Spain, Italy, Croatia, Ireland' started by JaredSS07, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Playing with a striker from the start might help.

2. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe. But they looked better even with a winger in the second half. I'd like to see Lloriente play upfront. But who do they put on the bench? Too many great attacking midfielders. Tough for Del Bosque.

3. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Well a start is eliminate this 2 holding mid system that Del Bosque is married to. Add some width and put in Llorente.

It won't happen though. Del Bosque is too tactically stubborn, especially with his 2 defensive mid system (which he has used since his Real Madrid days) and his aversion to using Llorente.

As a Spanish fan it is very frustrating to watch as it seems like the team is playing with training wheels on.

4. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get the feeling it would help if Spain put a Spanish uniform in the back corner of the opposing goal, then Del Bosque tells the players to just pass to it. :thumbsup:

glennaldo_sf and JaredSS07 repped this.
  5. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Italy were better than expected, but that just wasn't good enough from Spain. Unsurprisingly, the 4-6-0 was an abject failure. They were far too one-dimensional and appeared to be playing in slow motion (passes were lethargic and players weren't moving off the ball enough).

I understand del Bosque has an embarrassing wealth of talented midfielders, but over-packing the pitch with them isn't necessarily the answer. Yes, Torres was wasteful with his finishing, but there was a recognizable difference when he came on. Strikers just play differently than midfielders; they know what runs to make. Those like Fabregas, Iniesta, and Silva are wired to check back and interchange passes, not make diagonal runs into space with speed. When they are the furthest players forward, Spain will struggle.

Arbeloa doesn't add any real attacking width. Put Sergio Ramos back out there and have Albiol or Javi Martinez play in the center with Pique.

Busquets is a black hole for me. I've never understood why he is an automatic starter for both Spain and Barcelona. He's a master of short sideways passes but little else. In general, the addiction to two defensive midfielders has quickly become a scourge in the modern game, breaking up free flowing attacking play. I'd take Busquets out and add a winger like Navas, who was lively today. And someone for him to cross to. By all means, use 'tiki-taka' as you're first strategy, but when it isn't working, you need a backup plan, and that's what Llorente can offer.

-----------------Casillas------------------
    ----Ramos--Pique---Albiol---Alba-----
    ----------------Alonso-------------------
    --Navas------- Xavi----Iniesta---------
    -----------------Silva---------------------
    ---------------Llorente------------------

Subs: Fabregas, Mata, Torres/Negredo

6. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    In a system with only 1 holding midfielder, it's Busquets over Alonso any day because he recovers the ball better, he's used to playing with Xavi & Iniesta, his "short" passes goes along with the spanish style of play (unlike Alonso's long balls) and most of all, Alonso has always played along side another holding midfielder while Busquets doesn't.

7. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Alonso cannot playing the holding mid by himself, that just isn't an option. Whether you like Busquets or not, he does the dirty work that nobody else on the team will (well Javi Martinez might but he isn't as good a passer as Busquets).

Doesn't really matter though as Del Bosque will go with the 2 DM system to his grave.

8. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Best game of the tournament so far. Italy actually look really good. Spain need to improve

9. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The first half was tactical but generally dire, hardly the best game.

The second half was much more interesting. Although I think the Holland Denmark game was better.

10. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I disagree. Have a strong feeling that the first half particularly and the whole game generally will be remembered for a very long time. It was so interesting to see two new approaches on display, Prandelli turning De Rossi into a sweeper and Del Bosque using a 4-6-0. There's a good write up at Michael Cox's site:

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/06...pain-start-with-no-striker-italy-use-a-3-5-2/

11. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    T
    I really don't think it will be. The first half was mostly forgetable. I enjoyed the second half.

Spain were not on top form and their passing was sloppy compared to usual. Italy played a solid tactical game. It was a poor performance from Spain.

The second half was one of the best so far, but there was plenty of bad football played.

I'd say Spain's formation was down to a lack of world class strikers. The coach simply realised that all Spain's best players are midfielders and went on overkill.

12. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    best international match since italy v germany semi in 06, congrats to both countries.

13. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Better than Russia 3 Netherlands 1 ?

Not even close IMO

14. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    2 sides who did what they planned. total control, like 2 perfect computer programs attacking eachother. ( a bit ott)