Spain vs. Holland - June 13, 2014 - Salvador [R]

Discussion in 'Group B: Spain, Chile, Australia, Netherlands' started by Furnaccio, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, Kahn made one blunder in entire tournament but it was in the final and it cost Germany the WC in 2002. At knockout stage one bad moment can cost you everything.

condor11 and Asalieri repped this.
  2. Stuart McCall

Stuart McCall New Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Club:
    Everton FC
    I like Fernando Alonso. I like Jorge Lorenzo. And I like the sexy ***** who's silly enough to marry Ramos. Aside from that, there is nothing about Spain worth liking. That was a fantastic destroyation of them this morning.

3. itysoccervideo

Jun 6, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
  4. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Spain played naive, indisciplined, rash football. They lacked defensive cohesion and the intelligence at the back. They are so stuck in their ways they showed low tactical adaptability.

5. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I like you my friend but this was not a fluke win. Spain is a shell of themselves and Hollandexecuted a great game plan which took it to them.

6. rickumali

rickumali Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Arlington, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally totally agree. I watched it in slow motion via DVR, then over and over again on the evening World Cup wrap-up shows. It was indeed a thing of beauty!

7. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Instead of pretending you're an expert after the fact, how about you give us all you're predictions so we can see for ourselves you're amazing football iq.

I can tell you one thing for certain, knowing that english is probably not your first language, it is still pretty obvious by reading you're post you are certainly not the sharpest person.

8. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    In terms of talent this is one of the worst holland sides in over 20 years no real expectations were laid out for this team other then getting out of the group. But in a way I think that's a good thing. I will try not to overreact to one game. This is a long marathon not a sprint.

9. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    its not worth it to reply to you, but if you want my accurate predictions, here is a taste:

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads...13-2014-cuiabá-r.2005361/page-2#post-30382285

10. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    How can you say that? LVG has selected a bunch of talented, up and coming young players to complement the magic a trio of truly world class stars. That is his M.O. and has brought great success every where he goes.

11. a good referee

a good referee New Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    congratulations to my favorite neighbours

hup holland hup

12. Sranang

Sranang Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Suriname
    Good job by Holland for sure! Do not count out Spain just yet. Although I do think the side is a bit too old.

Van Persie goal.... What else can be said? Highlight reel!!

13. FanVideo

FanVideo Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Costa penalty legit. As others have pointed out, if someone slides under you and you step on him, it's still a foul, akin to tripping.
    Iker fouled at the 3rd dutch goal. Ridiculous non-call by the refs.
    Guzman should have seen a second yellow in minute 35.
    Costa's so-called head-butt could have been either red or yellow, it wasn't really more than a soft touch. But just for the act of it a harsh ref could have given a red card. Though yellow would have been more appropriate IMO. (Of course he saw none.)
    All in all, I'd say this was pretty much a ref-induced result.

Then again, there's no denying that the first 2 dutch goals were beautiful, especially that of RvP. Don't think Casillas is to blame at either of them. At the first, he came out to close the angle, as he's supposed to. Not his fault RvP lobbed so beautifully. Also, I don't think the spanish defense was at fault either (for that goal). Just great work by Blind and Van Persie.
    Also, it's Spain's fault they didn't put it to rest in the first half. Their usual problem, create many chances but miss most of them. Looks like if you meet an inspired Holland, and also have some bad luck with the refs, that can cost you.

So most likely they get a rematch with Brazil of the confed cup final. Let's see how it plays out in the real thing.

14. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Oh brother. Who, with a straight face, can call a 5-1 shellacking "a ref-induced result"?

ElasticNorseman, Conifeertje and Yañez repped this.
  15. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    He's right. One call was a ref-mistake. Should have ONLY been 4-1 :D

HomietheClown, Conifeertje and VFish repped this.
  16. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Alright, we'll give back the perfectly valid third goal, but only if he admits the PK was dodgy at best. :cool: Final score four-nil.

Conifeertje and zahzah repped this.
  17. burton

burton Member

May 12, 2004
    Somewhere in Europe
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Official...Robben fastest player of all time

Faster then Wallcot

[​IMG]

18. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I kind of agree with the assumption. Comparing individual players, the only squad we've sent to the world cup that had less talented players was the 2010 team, although significantly more experienced.

A world class manager does seem to make a lot of difference. Scolari, Van Gaal and Hitzfeld have been able to out maneuver Del Bosque with lesser squads.

19. FanVideo

FanVideo Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Given that Guzman should have walked out, and the big error at the 3rd goal, yes, it is. At 2 - 1 it's still open. At 3 - 1 very much less so.

Anyway, one possible outcome, Spain take out Brazil and Holland lose to Croatia. :) It's a long shot, agree, but not at all impossible.

20. Simmer

Simmer Member

Feyenoord
    Netherlands
    Oct 23, 2009
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    De Guzman's first yellow was very easily given so it wasn't a big deal.

The penalty was a fluke in my opinion but Costa pulled it off convincingly.

Our 3rd goal could have been a foul but Casillas should have done better I'd say.
    In that area he should be in command but he totally lost the duel so his own fault.

21. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    FanVideo, please enjoy some fine Dutch cheese with your whine, compliments of LVG and the boys in Oranje:

[​IMG]

22. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm not saying they are not talented or without talent but compared to the 2010,2006, 1998, 1994 WC holland teams and I saw all those teams plays live this team is the least talented holland side. Nonetheless they still have stars whom I love Robben and Van Persie and many talented local dutch domestic league players which is heartening.

23. FanVideo

FanVideo Member

Apr 26, 2014
    To be very clear, I'm not saying Holland didn't deserve to win. As far as we can know, they would still have had the first chance with good officiating. Just that Spain would also have had a good chance themselves. So, the refs did screw it up but not as much as in other games. That's football.

That's irrelevant. But I do agree that what the ref did is pretty much the norm, even though that's written nowhere in the laws. Most of them would, in such a situation, caution the player verbally first, tell him something like "dude, next time you're out", unless the offense was too blatant which wasn't the case.

No way. So Van Persie (I think) runs into Iker and blocks him to get to the ball, and he's supposed to somehow "win the duel" ? That's just the point with the keeper protection area. You don't have to make way but you may not run into him.
    In this point the refs totally screwed it up. Luckily for them it didn't matter that much since Holland made it too convincing.

24. Junren Yeung

Junren Yeung New Member

Jun 8, 2014
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Hong Kong
  25. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    random question - anyone who went to this game who has any extra Brahma beer cups with the team logos on it?

i left mine in brazil and would love to secure just two extra beer cups from this game. if anyone is willing to sell them (at a reasonable price), i would love to buy them.

just need 2 or 3

PM me if you have any left over!