Spain NT News and Rumors (II)

Discussion in 'Spain: National Teams' started by Pichi, Aug 30, 2013.

1. zhe fulano

zhe fulano Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Jan 31, 2010
    Florida Keys, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aragonés did a fine job. So did Clemente, but I give the nod to José Camacho. Were it not for some questionable officiating, his team would have brought home the 2002 World Cup.

2. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Guess the NT will have a new coach for Euro 2020 as Lopetegui is named Real Madrid coach with a start date of after Spanish NT returns to Spain from Russia. Here are several articles in Marca in English: Article 1, 2 and 3.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Great timing... :rolleyes:

unclesox repped this.
  4. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    And the usual suspects are being mentioned as the successor, Michel, Luis Enrique, Marcelino etc.

5. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    I wouldn't mind Marcelino. Luis Enrique would be ok, not ideal but not terrible. Michel...no

6. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    :mad:
    So now what?
    I'm so pissed off right now and I'm not sure who deserves more of the blame: Lopetegui, Rubiales or Florentino. Trying to leave my club allegiance out of it I'm guessing Rubiales.

7. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    umm so his assistant takes over??

8. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

9. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    BBC says its Hierro after Lopetegui is sacked!

10. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    So much for commitment on Lopetegui's behalf, yes Zidane leaving caused the vacuum but this isn't a U-21 tournament this is the WC for crying out loud. Yes I would also blame Florentino who probably said take it or leave it and Lopetegui took it. He's only covering his ass at the expense of the NT. So much for biting the bullet for the homeland, but then again we are talking about Spain! I wish Fernando Hierro the best of luck and am sure that he will give it his all, his managerial career looks like this (based on Wiki)
    2014–2015 Real Madrid (assistant)
    2016–2017 Oviedo (2nd Div)
    He has been the NT Sporting Director since Nov 2017 which is a plus for this new position since he has had to help Lopetegui scan for talent.

Aupa Espanha y La Furia Roja!

11. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Amen!! Jose Mari Garcia comments on the Lopetegui signing by Madrid!

12. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Hierro has named his assistants for the NT.

13. zhe fulano

zhe fulano Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Jan 31, 2010
    Florida Keys, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hierro walks into a solid team that has some chemistry. He's smart enough not to mess with what has worked. He's not going to pull a Steve Sampson 3-6-1 surprise or anything even remotely disruptive.

I may be wrong, but I think this team at this point can just about run on auto pilot. Having played for as long as he did and as well as he did gives me faith that Hierro knows this. He'll make sure to cause no harm. With the talent on this squad that will be good enough.

14. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

15. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

16. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

17. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Now that I have had time to digest the poor play by the NT, I started thinking about how Spain which won their qualifying group and is out by the first round of KO, Italy who finished second never even got past the two legged playoff for a WC slot, and it got me wondering about how UEFA who wants to be inclusive as possible and rake in the money may need to tweak how they run their qualifications for future WC's. If one takes a look at the group that Spain had to qualify, Spain had the following teams in their pot (Country and FIFA Ranking): Spain 12, Italy 17, Albania 36, Israel 51, Macedonia 105, and mighty Liechtenstein 157. Except for UEFA and CONMEBOL (South America) all the other regions have one or two rounds where the minnows play each other and the winners advance until they get to the group stage. Maybe UEFA needs to do the same which would allow the minnows to play each other first and then move into another round or move into group play. This would allow the NT's to play less matches but against better teams in group stage, and allow them to use those extra international match days (which would then be available) to play friendlies against teams that the NT's figure would provide value add to their teams preparations. As an FYI here is how UEFA plans to run the Euro 20 qualification process. It is basically the same as they do for the WC qualification with groups of 5 and 6 plus the playoffs. Just my two cents worth.

18. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Seems like light years ago! I remember the PK's against Italy when Spain finally broke the spell and moved on! Aupa Espana y La Furia Roja!

19. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    What a wasted opportunity this world cup. It would have never been easier.

Anyway, exciting games I guess although I don't have much enthusiasm for them.

20. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I wonder why nobody in the press asked anybody who's idea it was to completely not attack at all when we were up 1 goal. The team seriously didn't even try.

21. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The ongoing joke is that the team is still out on the Luzhniki pitch passing the ball from one side of the pitch to the other. Nearly 500,000 touches at last count.
    :(

22. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
  23. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    First match will be September 8, away to England in UEFA Nations League.
    May have to sit through watching their players get knighted or some other type of reverence pre-kickoff if they lift the Cup in Russia. :(

24. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Thanks to our croatian friends we won't have to endure such a sight, thankfully.

unclesox repped this.
  25. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Looks like Rafa Benitez was approached by the RFEF for the temporary caretaker slot that went to Hierro. https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44873968