Spain-Italy Quarterfinal Euro 2008 [R]

Discussion in 'Knock-out Phase' started by Pichi, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matto_per_calcio

Matto_per_calcio New Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Obviously, you don't know much about football. Just jumping on the bandwagon perhaps?

Italy has not played catennaccio for a long time .. so that comment is silly.

Italy plays defensive but also offensive. Both elements exist in the Italian game.

Italy does not dive more than any other team, in fact I've seen more diving and crying from Portugual and even today with Villa (Spain, in case you are new to football). A yellow card was given in fact. Open your eyes!

Roma is a nice place! Would rather be there myself now!

Have a nice day.

2. x2thez

x2thez BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 14, 2008
    Football won today, where are those cocky italians now ? hahahahaha

3. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You're wrong the Spanish fans have all the right to gloat, you know damn well it would be the same if the Italians would have won, as for the Italian haters that's another story and should be on another thread!!

Aupa Espanha y Viva Er Beti Manque Lopera!

La Furia Roja!!!

Er Pichi

4. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They are undefeated and haven't conceded a goal in Euro 2008.

5. drc003

drc003 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off, the people being rude and immature are not the only people complaining about Italy's anti-football. There are plenty of neutral observers with loads of football knowledge that would rather not have to sit through another match of Italy packing it in.

I'm not saying Italy have played every game ever in this manner but they have done it way too often for most neutrals. Today they were in the old 4-3-2-1 for much if not all of the game and it was pathetic. You say Italy's defense was amazing but I disagree. Amazing defense is when you play with a little more initiative and still lock down your opponent. Playing with 7-9 field players constantly behind the ball is good defense as a result of tactics. However it is also based on tactics that will leave you with very little chances to score and basically hoping you can win on pk's. It's ugly and isn't going to be appreciated by many out side of the teams fans who are employing it. Even some of the teams own fans hate it.

I've heard many complain that it's jealousy and hate. Of course there are the sad people who are like that but that is just a part of it. There are also neutrals like myself who love many of Italy's players but are bored to tears by most of their National team matches. Why does Brazil have loads of neutral fans when they are 5-time world champions?

6. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's quite possible to be a gracious winner. Maybe you'll learn how some day.

Regardless, congratulations on the game. Spain deserved it more than Italy did, but it went down to the wire.

7. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Wondering why they suddenly didn't play as good as in their last games, but basically knowing Russia deserved to win that game. Media also used that dumb "maybe we should have played our starters in the 3rd game to not ruin the flow" reason to get at van Basten a little.

8. Gandalf The Red

Gandalf The Red BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 23, 2006
    We gloat because they will be back next time doing that canta...... cintacoca.... You know that boring as crap football.

And I says its disgusting because they are one of the titans of football being as big as it is.

But they also have the talent to play so much better

9. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. :)

10. x2thez

x2thez BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 14, 2008
    lol, Spain made the whole world happy tonight :)

11. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We? Since when did you become Spanish? Is the bandwagon comfy these days?

12. elvesuvio

elvesuvio Member+

Feb 6, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Congrats to Spain...
    I knew if we managed to get to the PKs, we'd be done...but that is the game. It sucks to lose like this but sucks to lose at all.

Why there is even a discussion about England on this thread I don't know or understand...Maybe the English should worry about getting a decent team together and qualifying for the WC2010...its only 2 years away and you know, Beckham isn't getting any younger.;)

13. -Fifth CharM-

-Fifth CharM- BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2007
    Come on now .. that's a lie and you know it. Since when is offensive football lobbing the ball the lone striker while defending with 10 players.

Di Natale was down outside the pitch but rolled back on the pitch just to stop the play. The referee didn't see anything. Spain should have been give TWO penalties in regular play. The referee didn't see anything. Toni dived several times in the Spanish box. The referee didn't see anything.

Claiming that diving & cheating isn't a important element in Italian football would be like saying there is no corruption in the Italian football or Italy in general.

14. Matto_per_calcio

Matto_per_calcio New Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Hey! Appreciate your comments. I did mention in my original post 'Where was the attack?' so I agree that all defence and no attack is awful. I also stated emphatically that I was disspointed in Italy. The team has a lot of talent but there is a lack of creativity and urgency. Thats the best way I can describe Italy's problem. Lack of key playeys and Donadoni's dilemenas contribute. For me I can appreciate good defencive tactics but that should not preclude good offensive playing. In my mind, you can do both (like Germany perhaps?) but we just didn't have much on the attack. There was too much caution in today's game and I saw it on both sides. It was a frustrating game to witness.

15. President Ike

President Ike Member

Manchester City, NYCFC
    United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    NYC, USA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've officially purged my support of Italy as a team. I already lost some support over the past World Cup, even though they won, but, the display today just ruined my taste for the way they play as a team.

drc003, is 100% on point. I've supported Italy, but I found myself wanting Spain to win as the match went on, and as Italy has played in this tournament.

Glad to see the Spaniards defeat them and purge their string of bad luck in quarterfinals.

16. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You forgot to remove them from your team list.:rolleyes:

Aupa Espanha y Viva Er Beti Manque Lopera!!

La Furia Roja!!!

Er Pichi

17. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Start another thread for continued discussion, this one is wayyyy overdue closure!