Spain-Italy Quarterfinal Euro 2008 [R]

Discussion in 'Knock-out Phase' started by Pichi, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Casillas ya se merece su estatua en la Plaza Mayor.

Casillas already deserves having his statue in the Plaza Mayor.

2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    why are you offering them food :confused:

3. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't like to refer to it as a Jinx, just an unlucky streak for Spain I'd say. But Spain did not beat Italy just now, it was a draw decided on PKs.

4. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    QFT. There is such a thing as a sore winner. Learn to win people.

5. 1a Schnitzel

1a Schnitzel Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    so ladies and gentlemen, this might become one of the most exciting eurocups since decades. Defensive style is out, passion is in.

Okay, Germany might still be the only one here playing a somewhat traditional style. But turkey surely wont allow it to become a boring game.

I must say I am realy excited about the upcoming games.

6. Gandalf The Red

Gandalf The Red BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 23, 2006
    The mods pulled my pants down for that one but I dont care:cool:

7. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Some of the fans are but Buffon is a class act

8. Gandalf The Red

Sep 23, 2006
    sure why not, I will make them my special

wolfsbane soup:cool:

9. 1a Schnitzel

1a Schnitzel Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    nevertheless, was kind of sad to see those small spaniards trying to get around the huge and bombastic italian wall.

10. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bombastic?

[youtube]9IwJHaIg5po[/youtube]

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Nah, the Italians are a good team. They were outplayed today, but not by much. But the ref made several more mistakes in their favor than he did in favor of Spain. When that happens, it's normal for people to cheer if the seemingly most deserving team wins.

And that is the case. It wouldn't have seemed fair to me if Italy had won the PKs. Although their defence today was superb, and the counters were ok, that didn't make for interesting football.

12. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I don't know why Luis had Guiza shoot a PK, he hadn't taken one all season long in the liga.

Aupa Espanha y Viva Er Beti Manque Lopera!!

La Furia Roja!!!!!

Er Pichi

13. -RB-

-RB- New Member

May 4, 2008
    United States
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to Spain!!! While they weren't able to put one through in regulation, I'd have to say that at least one of the three occurances inside the box deserved a PK.

Anyway, I was happy to see Italy lose just because they had their time in 2006. I wouldn't necessarily call them classless, but they aren't full of class either. Buffon, as fiery as he is, is a class act.

Spain looked too hesitant today, hopefully they will come ready and loose against Russia.

Great job on the PK's, Spain!

14. JumpinJackFlash

JumpinJackFlash New Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Soviet Britannia
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    You do realise the mafias of Italy came over from Spain, correct? Seville to be exact. The Garduna.

Because two of them missed penalties? At the end of the day, if I had to choose between winning the penalty shootout in the World Cup final, making it the fourth World title, or winning the Euros again, then I'm pretty content with the situation. Most of the Italy fans who have come here have just said "Congrats to Spain".

The people here being classless probably only started watching football in 2004 (for example Gandalff the Red). If Spain manage to win their second ever trophy, then I'll extend congradulations to the team for it. But lets see what happens in the rest of the games.

15. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    because the money is good :cool:

16. Gandalf The Red

Sep 23, 2006
    I bet espn wouldnt offer him more then sky

17. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i think mods should close this thread adn start another one in maybe about 1 hour for hte people to calm down.

18. Gandalf The Red

Sep 23, 2006
    your right not once did I see the spanish backs overlap:(

19. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    we've cleaned up and infractions will be handed out to people who continue with the nonsense.

I am not closing the thread because, you know, some of us might want to actually discuss the game lol :)

20. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Just like your last world cup championship it was a draw decided by PK's but you kept the cup and France went home empty. I guess you guys will be going home empty this year!! It's good to finally win a game in PK stage. I believe that last time Spain beat someone in PK's was Ireland in Korea 02.

Aupa Espanha y Viva Er Beti Manque Lopera!!

La Furia Roja!!!

Er Pichi

21. ToBeAGooner

ToBeAGooner New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Im so pumped for Cesc, to be left on the bench in favor of Xavi and Iniesta, to come on, play well and ultimately have his countries dreams on his shoulders, to take that penalty so coolly was the class you expect from Cesc Fabregas.

I was really disapointed with the Italians, they have undeniable skill and class, but they seemed too timid to show it.

22. DonMancini

DonMancini New Member

Jun 5, 2006
    Montreal
    Haven't read the thread (at all) but I thought that Italy didn't really deserve to win. This was frankly a boring game and I thought spain had a slight slight edge throughout. Pirlo's absence was substantial as Italy were uncreative and spain going through seems like a fair result.

Good luck to you guys in the semis!

P.S. I was really impressed by Chiellini though, solid throughout.

23. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes, the WC Final was decided on PKs. I honestly do think that it comes down to a bit of luck. I'm not taking away from your progression or taking away from the way Italy won the World Cup. It's the mechanism used to decide draws.

But, my point was not comparing this to the WC Final. My point was saying the match ended in a draw. And so, Spain still have failed to defeat Italy in a competitive match since 1920. That's all I'm saying.

And, dont get too bummed about that Spainards. Today's match was the 10th game which extends that streak. It's nothing to brag about. And, of course at this moment, Italy have nothing to brag about. Good match, good luck Spain.

24. JumpinJackFlash

JumpinJackFlash New Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Soviet Britannia
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan

Its part luck, part skill.

The luck part is mostly with the keeper guessing the right way. But taking a good penalty is a skill; Camoranesi's penalty was good, Di Natale's was awful.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Now the Russians have a chance to study this game to disconnect Villa from Torres and the midfield. Spain tried what they did against Russia and Sweden so well: through-passes and Villa running to an open position.

In this game they couldn't make it work, not once. The Italians kept a flat backline, so offside stopped Villa. And there was always a defence expecting the run, so neither Villa nor Torres could find open spaces.

Very entertatining game from a tactical point of view. Italy played as they do when they think the team in front of them is superior: solid defence and counters. They can play very good attacking football against teams they know are lesser than they are, as they did with Romania.

At this point, Spain has to change the way they do things because their mistery has been decyphered. I hope Aragonés realizes that.