Spain-Italy Quarterfinal Euro 2008 [R] part 2

Discussion in 'Knock-out Phase' started by Oscar, Jun 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  2. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  3. J.C.80

J.C.80 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    The funny thing is that even Völler and Klinsmann admitted their faults :D

Do you want more from that world cup? The dive against Van Breukelen? The penalty against Czechoslovakia?

4. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    If you're not sure... do you really think you should be opining about contagion of different languages in neighboring languages?

Gotcha.

Sincerely,
    Dr. Uclacarlos
    PhD Hispanic Languages and Literature

5. Albirrojo

Albirrojo Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Yes, you are very kind: I largely have worked in Castilian Spanish in business and with friends.

I like watching the Passion of Christ movie because bits of it, are in Latin: to an Italian speaker, the Latin really must seem about the same. I know, I know, Latin has more difficult conjugations they say, even the subjects or adverbs get conjugated do they say?

I saw the other day someone was talking about the game that was Sunday: Cain and Abel the person said.

French, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, of course, Italian and other languages are the Romance (NeoLatin) Languages, they take from Latin but they also have their own unique qualities, I am not a historian but I always thought that the native language (of say Spain for example) and Latin sort of merged during the days of the Roman Empire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_languages

In fact, this wikipedia article in a longer way, says that, like in Gladiator, the Roman Empire conquered all those places, the language Latin went and the languages kind of merged together.

I guess, though, Germanic, Saxon, English, whatever they call those languages, didn't quite meld together with Latin, but some of the others did.

It's late now to make comparisons, but whether it's reading www.lequipe.fr or www.gazzetta.it , it isn't hard to get an impression of what they are talking about. The Gauls, the French language, seemed complex to me, but it is mostly just a matter of practicing.

6. laudrup

laudrup BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2005
    Va a ser que no.

7. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    All I said was Italian came before Spanish. FACT. Please show me a contradiction. Spanish could have stemmed from Italian, but not the other way around. FACT.

8. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This has become the "who pwnes who" in Nerdsville.

[​IMG]

9. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    :rolleyes:

Sweetie: Catalan separated from vulgar Latin before Florentine did. Surely you recognize the fact that an Iberian language spoken and written in the kingdoms incorporated by the Spanish state -- which gained much of its wealth and political power from Barcelona -- would have a much larger impact on the growth and spread of Castillian.

It really didn't, btw. But it certainly had more of an influence than the Florentine dialect, which wasn't adopted by the rest of Italy until the founding of the Italian state in the mid-19th century.

You're talking out of your ass.

You have no idea what you're talking about. No Italian city-state held dominion over any region of the Iberian peninsula. Castillian and all the dialects/languages of the peninsula grew independent of Florence. The fact that you're insisting that Florence had a linguistic presence in Spain is beyond believe in its ignorance.

Just shut the f**k up already.

10. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Exactly.

closed