Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Ah, I misread your post, my bad. Yeah, I find this one strange as well, but I also don't think Wasserman would "overplay their hand". They're new to European soccer, but not *that* new, and they're pretty far from Raiola in terms of their clientele.

2. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see. For the record, I understand why Wes may want that and maybe even demand that. It seems that Juve offered him a salary worthy of a squad player because that is what he is viewed as, whether right or wrong.

We all want to see Wes make more money, because this last year of his was great. Hopefully Wes crushes at CA and a team at the level Wes is looking at makes that offer to pay him!

I will admit that I need to take a step back and remember this is YA. To YA, Juve is the bad guy here even if it is just business.

ChicagoVT and zlatan_but_a_car repped this.
  3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That is something that grinds my gears. How does such treatment affect a young man in his psychology? Cannon after the kerfuffle with Boavista was not the same. His upwards trajectory was stunted. Musah after the Valencia mistreatment (including racism by the fans) also seemed broken.

It cannot be good for your head to be treated like that.

ChicagoVT and bct81 repped this.
  4. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

THIS ^^^^^

However, I am sure Wes sees himself as a starter and believes he should be offered a salary that is appropriate for a starter.

I guess they can agree to disagree in their assessments of Wes' contributions and ablilities. Probably best that they go their separate ways, amicably.

twoolley and usnroach repped this.
  5. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    This is where mental toughness comes in. You just can't succeed if you're mentally weak and not able to deal with adversities.

zlatan_but_a_car and usnroach repped this.
  6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    A team offering a player a salary decrease is a team telling a player to go look elsewhere. A player with Wes' pedigree and last season should not have any trouble matching his Juve salary. Whether he wants to play chicken with Juve and wait till he's free is a negotiation/career strategy choice, but there's no way if Wes just wants to get paid he can't beat Juve's offer.

Will be interesting to see how close to the wall either one of them is will to go. If Juve really feel they can't use Wes, it's absurd for them to turn down a fee and still pay Wes' salary. I know why Wes' folks are playing tough here. Juve got no cards, except they can waste a year of Wes' playing career if push comes to shove. Juve seem (like too many clubs, of course) an oddly managed organization.

7. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gah. I remember starting a post stating he was likely coming back to MLS a while ago, but didn’t post. :ninja:

I don’t see him pushing to shine at Juve again this coming campaign. I wouldn’t be interested in having to prove myself in yet again for a club that clearly doesn’t want me. Thought he was better than Rabiot for Juve this campaign as well - so interesting watching Rabiot with France though. Different player.

Will be interesting to see where Wes lands. We’ve been following him abroad so long now, it will feel strange if this thread gets locked because he came home. Guess that goes for Puli and Tyler too, whenever they come, but Wes is my guy. Been all over Europe watching him play!

Hobo, twoolley and Suyuntuy repped this.
  8. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    exactly - I wonder how much of his mental state during CA is affected by this - you have solid season with Juve and then this happens - Wes is human - as much as he is a pro and can tune out the noise - you have to think that it has to be a a bit of a downer (this is his career after all) … hopefully a good manager out there will see his potential and will want him. Worst case - seems that maybe the Cincy discussion is about putting him in a happier place ..

Suyuntuy and mattjens repped this.
  9. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edited your post …

haha

10. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? Giuntoli joined the team in July 2023, before the players returned from the summer break. Not to mention that everyone knows he was already having conversations with Allegri and Juve's management before his official start date. He even travelled with the club to the US.

11. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's why I brought up Raiola. Juve pretty much only did that with him since he made a lot of deals happen for Juve as well.

Wes' agent is Cory Gibbs, seems like he may have overplayed his hand a little.

ChrisSSBB and Rossonero23 repped this.
  12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    In what world is not taking a pay cut after a successful season "overplaying his hand?" I ain't no pro sports agent, but I have worked for a long time in an industry of highly-paid IC types who do contracts every couple of years and if your current employer offers you a salary reduction after a productive year the SOP would be to counter pretty high to register your "nah, ain't playing that" position. I continue to think Wes holds most of the cards. I don't believe a year of "disgruntled bench player about to be available for nuthin" hurts him as much as Juve won't want to forgo a fee and still pay his salary, but I am not a footie back office type. Still expect Wes to sign someplace this summer that is not Juve.

13. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    He was there because Pogba wasn’t cleared to play on the tour by the medical staff despite traveling with the team. I linked you to a report from Agresti prior to the tour that McKennie was included in the Bonucci group as “players Juve didn’t have plans for in the 23/24 season”. Albanese’s narrative today is that Weston’s performance during the tour was part of what convinced Allegri to reconsider. I don’t understand why only some reports on these subjects are valid even when they come from the sources you say to trust.

Deeneaus and neems repped this.
  14. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I googled a while back if this site was reliable. What I found from Juve fans on Reddit (I think) is it used to be a good site, but then it got sold and turned into a site/ X account that just puts out crap to get clicks. Doesn't seem reliable.

15. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Wes career on the downturn

Tessman and Johnny stock rising.

I've never quite liked ranch sauce.

16. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Is ranch americas Vegemite? I’ve always thought it was really sweet peanut butter.

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, starting middle on the 3rd place Serie A team is indicative of a nose dive. People b so silly sometimes.

ChicagoVT, superdave, wsmaugham and 2 others repped this.
  18. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's just life. Many people deal with significant career challenges across industries. These guys have it easier than countless people we all know living paycheck to paycheck.

Successes persevere and push thru. They find a way. Failures don't. World doesn't care about feelings.

That's the reality of it. You can feel sorry for yourself or you can brush it off and get on with it.

zlatan_but_a_car and usnroach repped this.
  19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's different when you're in your own country with family and friends nearby though.

20. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant the agent requesting a payday for himself was overplaying his hand, If you've read my other posts, I've literally said he deserves a pay bump. I've said it multiple times.

ChicagoVT, superdave, Dizi and 1 other person repped this.
  21. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're the one questioning why Giuntoli would make a comment about McKennie saying he wouldn't be privy to the details.

Despite Agresti's tweet about him not being part of Juve's plans and not traveling to the US, McKennie was still training with the main group. Agreti's postdidn't say he wasn't training with them, just that he wasn't in their plans. He stated that Bonucci wasn't going to train with the first team, he said nothing of the sort about McKennie.

22. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a bit of a stir when it was bought out. The guy that bought it is from Liverpool and admitted he's not a Juve fan, it was a business transaction.

The guy that sold it took some time off, then came back and is now posting as

usnroach repped this.
  23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Got it. I doubt, however, that will be the sticking point. Again, I'm not in the sports world, but in the arena I work the "stars" and "starlets" - if you come to them after a relatively successful year at their job with a pay cut without some really compelling financial reason, the negotiation is going to be unpleasant. You're basically telling them go someplace else, so the idea they would then work with you in any way, shape or form is silly. Even if just a negotiating ploy it poisons the waters and you're gonna end up with unhappy folks.

wsmaugham repped this.
  24. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Fwiw on the MLS front Tom Bogert said on his YouTube channel last night that the deal isn't close but it's concrete enough that Cincy has reaches out to Dallas (who owns Wes's rights) to let them know that there is some sort of possibility of them signing him.

As for Wes abroad, sounds like a big issue is financial in terms of where he sees himself and where teams do. And even teams in England are gonna be a bit more careful with transfers due to PSR

Also while online isn't indicative to the whole fanbase, but the Leeds experience complete with Wes's idiot friend absolutely was noticed by multiple fanbases I'm England

25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001