Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    All the guys we have in Italy could have found places to play in England for better wages instead. And none of them look like they are in a hurry to leave. McKennie just wants to be paid. If Juventus would/could pay him he's stay.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Italy was Pulisic's fallback.

As soon as he gets a nice offering from the EPL (and he may get one sooner than we think), he's outta there.

Which won't be good for him. Pulisic is physically more fit to a league like Italy.

usnroach repped this.
  3. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Come on Arteta, go ahead and make the call.

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm dubious that if Italy paid the same as England most players would take Newcastle over Rome or Birmingham over Milan, or the British game over the Italian. We don't have much history in Italy, but that is changing rapidly, from Rossi to Bradley to CP to Wes to Weah to Busio to Musah to Tessman Italy as a realistic landing spot - and US players as realistic additions is beginning to create a virtuous cycle that I'd expect continues a bit.

Pegasus and adam tash repped this.
  5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    https://www.blackwhitereadallover.c...ntus-aston-villa-2024-serie-a-transfer-rumors

Romano says that the two clubs are close to an agreement, going as far to say that the two sides are at the “final stages” of negotiations for a deal that would see Douglas Luiz come to Turin in exchange from Weston McKennie, Samuel Iling-Junior and €20 million, according to previous reports. That player-plus-cash package from Juventus is reportedly enough to add up to the value in which Villa has for the 26-year-old Douglas Luiz, who has a reported €60 million price tag attached to his name.

---
    Iling-Junior is valued at about €20m. So that means Wes is being valued at around €20m too. That's low, his Transfermarkt value is €28m.

6. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Even if moving from Torino to Birmingham required? Actually CP is thriving in Italy.

7. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

How does a guy that played a total of 1,100 minutes with only 2 goals and 3 assists in TWO league seasons be valued at $20M Euros?[/QUOTE]

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I don't know either player's actual value, but taking that December 2023 article as gospel to then extrapolate everyone's value in the deal is a bit... well... not well referenced. There are more recent articles suggesting Juve valued Wes at ~25 mill Euro, which seems reasonable. Indeed a couple of recent articles (Old Juve etc.) put Illing-Jr at 15 mill...

usnroach and gjackson2207 repped this.
  9. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    He's 20 and English ;)

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    [/QUOTE]

most recent articles have Juve valuing him at 15 mill, which is still high, but a bit more realistic.

zlatan_but_a_car repped this.
  11. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Now that makes total sense

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  12. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By our players you mean, typical American player profile.

Italy is great for Puli. Would likely be great for Gio too. I think Balo would do well there as well.

13. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Nah, he's liked by the core players. Whether he's respected by them is a different story.

14. ChicagoVT

ChicagoVT Member

United States
    Jun 26, 2019
    I hate to see Wes's time at Juve end. I do think he could get a lot of playing time at Aston Villa though. No one on the roster currently is levels above Wes. I hope it all clicks for him if this deal happens cause we all know that if something goes wrong the American will be the first to be blamed, especially in England.

nbarbour and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    Italian salaries are usually 'after tax' while EPL salaries are before tax, so would Wes really take home more with Aston Villa?

What would he have to be paid to net more with Villa than he did with Juve?

usnroach and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was an exemption for foreign players in Italy but I think that's ended.

AGomes repped this.
  17. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    That exemption didn't help Americans as much as others because we're taxed on foreign income unless we pay foreign tax that offsets the American taxes owed. So not having to pay Italian taxes means Uncle Sam would get his.

ChrisSSBB and eliwood repped this.
  18. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Beatles wrote a song about this situation.

russ, FC Tallavana and Winoman repped this.
  19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Still theoretically allowed a player to pay the lower US rate - assuming the Italian rate was higher (and the offset is almost never 100% due to, uh, Congress and BS and stuff), but yeah, not as good as paying nothing which would have been the case for some players, perhaps.

FC Tallavana repped this.
  20. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    English club fans suck. Italy is a better life day to day. If I was choosing between (1) gobs of money that set me for life in England and, (2) 1.5 that amount in Rome or Milan or Turin, that would be an easy call.

21. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I said that backwards. But you get the idea.

22. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I’d be glad to see him in England again, Serie A has always been a bit boring for me.

23. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    For you, maybe. I would happily take Birmingham, England over Rome, Milan or Turin. I don't know if it's still the case, but the lunch buffet at Pizza Huts in England used to have ranch dressing for the salad bar.

Edit: I did some research and there are some posts online saying the ranch dressing was removed from the salad bars. Sad.

russ and superdave repped this.
  24. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Those british freaks eat pizza with mayo

russ, McKenniesWeah and Mt Stone@ repped this.
  25. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Drag