Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. ChicagoVT

ChicagoVT Member

United States
    Jun 26, 2019
    majspike and mattjens repped this.
  2. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now Iling-Junior rumored to be part of the swap along with Weston

3. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Is anyone reporting this besides the Italian media? If I’m Aston Villa that’s a terrible deal. Douglas Luiz is arguably worth £80m+ and McKennie was pretty bad at Leeds and wasn’t exactly a world beater at Juve.

4. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Well, as Gorky alluded to above, there's also this:

Fab's technically Italian, but his reporting seems to have a bigger reach than the Italian media.

5. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    In addition to the Fab tweet, the best info we've gotten on England's side of the story was TuttosportJuve talking to Tom Collomosse, who is one of the more reliable journalists reporting on Villa in England. He said the move is credible because there is PSR/FFP pressure on Villa, and that Emery is looking for a midfielder who can play kinda like a mezzala, which the role that Allegri has molded Weston into.

There's also an argument for selling off quality to buy some depth. Neither Weston nor Iling-Junior are starters at Villa, but Villa are gonna have a busy schedule with the added CL matches.

6. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    New reports are mostly on England's side, but it's West + Iling-Junior + €20m, but Juve are pushing to lower the cash included. IDK about Iling-Junior, but that's closer to like €75-80m, depending on the value agreed on for him

7. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Interesting quote in that link:

McKennie, as you were saying, didn't leave a great memory in the Premier League with Leeds. Why would Emery want it so badly?

"In fact, Emery loves to play with four central midfielders, two in the middle and two on the flanks who center to create a block centrally. If McKennie is able to combine physical strength with commitment and technique, he could be very useful for the Emery's football".

8. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Still seems like BS at those numbers. I’ll be really surprised if this happens but would love for WM to play under Emery.

Roblar repped this.
  9. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
  10. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fab reports that there is progress on the deal:

Dizi, ChicagoVT, tomásbernal and 4 others repped this.
  11. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Another rumor I just saw bouncing around is that Villa are interested in a swap deal to a club outside of England because there are sell-on clauses for both City and Chelsea. "Swapping" for a lower amount of cash means those guys get less of the total profit from the deal. No clue how true this is, might just be nerds on social media speculating wildly

12. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017

I think Tom is less "powerful" when it comes to non-MLS deals, but confirmation that something is going on. I remain skeptical with 2 players swapped, as 3 sets of players & agents AND 2 clubs is a lotta negotiating.

superdave, RunthePoint, smokarz and 3 others repped this.
  13. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Not shocked a player swap is likely happening, Italian teams do it quite often, more surprised that it's 2 for 1

twoolley repped this.
  14. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Don't love McKennie to the Prem but I'm hoping for the best. The speed and intensity of play doesn't suit him IMO. Serie A is a bit more languid.

ChicagoVT, wsmaugham, superdave and 3 others repped this.
  15. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    Following the sport for 20+ years now, I recall numerous reports of our guys abroad being possibly involved in swap deals, but learned long ago that it almost never happens, and I began to rubbish 'trade' reports as soon as they came out.
    The fact that this may actually happen and Wes may be involved in a swap deal is fascinating to me, and I am sort of hoping it goes through now. Let's hope Wes surrounded by decent players in the Prem will go well, unlike the Leeds fiasco (in which Wes struggled, but was not aided by the fact that LUFC was a dumpster fire).

NorcalHockeyhooligan and rooted repped this.
  16. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is crazy.

But I'm all for Wes as Aston Villa.

tomásbernal repped this.
  17. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like a good deal for all involved.

18. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I saw Villa play a pre-season friendly against the Houston Dynamo in like 2012 or so.

Jack Grealish was there as a relative nobody, dude had the biggest calves I've ever seen on a human (at least proportionally speaking).

Brad Guzan was there too. Don't remember if he played but it was a neat experience.

twoolley repped this.
  19. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Huge calves

20. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Darts Keith! Darts!

21. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    TIFWIW.... 29 appearing on 'The Straight Red Card' podcast on Monday stated "Weston to Ashton Villa, go ahead and lock it in. It's gonna happen soon."

RecLeague Super Sub repped this.
  22. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    In addition to still being super skeptical of all 29 reports, I wouldn't lock in a 3-player swap deal until it actually goes through. Any purchase involving multiple players can get real messy real fast (ex: Keaton Parks being sold as part of package deal to Portimonense led to him having to sue his way out of his contract at Varzim). All it takes is one club whispering a better offer into one party's ear, and the deal falls apart.

There are so many reports from all sides involved that it's safe to say that talks are underway, but I won't believe anything is done until Weston is wearing claret and blue.

23. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Meanwhile, in Weston's other big story in the Italian media:

:rolleyes:

ChicagoVT and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Can't wait for the next Inter/Juve match

25. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    If Wes and Luiz swap jerseys tonight social media would go crazy...