Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am loving the maturation of Mckennie's passing game, particularly his long balls.. Maybe he'll turn into David Beckham.

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    So are Juventus correcting their initial offer? They'd be crazy not to.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
  4. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    freisland repped this.
  5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    TSA trolling Wes?
    Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 7.54.35 AM.png

The Irish Rover, Gotberg, bct81 and 4 others repped this.
  6. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s actually perfectly logical. High level clubs only have one or two or three peers in their leagues. It’s a lot easier to succeed by being better than 2 clubs than it is to succeed by being better than 25 clubs. The latter is how Americans understand sports and it doesn’t really translate to leagues without any parity mechanisms.

In other words, compared to running the Denver Broncos or Denver Nuggets or Colorado Rockies, running Juve is playing on easy mode.

majspike and ChicagoVT repped this.
  7. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    I think this is overly simplistic... Juve is playing on easy mode because Serie A doesn't split media revenues equally between all clubs. The Denver Broncos, an NFL franchise, finished 12th in their division last season and had a losing record, and they will still get 1/32nd of the NFL's ~$7b per year TV revenue.

Udinese finished 12th in the 21/22 Serie A season, and according to a WST post, got little more than half of what Juve got for the 22/23 season from Serie A's ~$1b per year TV revenue.

If Juve is playing on easy mode, Udinese are playing on "x-treme" difficulty mode.

In the end, I think the job requirements are different: The NFL negotiates almost all financial deals (equipment, sponsorship, broadcasting, etc) on behalf of the teams leaving them to focus only on local deals and sporting decisions. Meanwhile, every club in Serie A has to secure their own equipment deals, sponsorships, broadcasting deals (if they want their international fans to be able to reliably watch every match), etc, which makes their yearly budgets a little more difficult to forecast. The NFL teams aren't actually competing with each other financially, they're just competing with each other at sports. The Serie A clubs are doing both.

ChicagoVT, AGomes and randomnoise repped this.
  8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    And as BS as some US sports orgs can be, there's way more corruption (and for sure was for a long time in certain Euro footie circles, that means there's a lot of decisions made for non-business reasons.

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Hopefully the United rumors are just that. Juventus needs to pony up and keep him. Prepare a North American tour and pimp him out for that.

Winoman repped this.
  10. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    FWIW, just this week in fact they announced there will be no North American tour in the summer. There is the new CWC which I'm sure factored in the decision.

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Some guy named Weston McKennie went 90 as Juventus tied Torino 0-0 in a game of no local significance that I can uncover. I missed the derby but apparently Dusan missed two good 1st half chances, putting one off the post. Not a lot of mentions of Wes, but this is encouraging: Weston McKennie and his new Puma boots and styled in pink looked very nice.

Bologna also drew so Juve lose no ground in their league spot.

12. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jond commented that he’s amazed how badly high level Euro clubs are often run. I posited a theory. This is a thread about a player at Juve. Udinese doesn’t have anything to do with it.

13. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    You made a broad statement ("It’s a lot easier to succeed by being better than 2 clubs than it is to succeed by being better than 25 clubs"), then picked a few examples of teams at random to compare to Juve (mayhaps you live in or have lived in Colorado? If so, congrats, Colorado is dope). I pointed out that comparing The Broncos to Juve wasn't fair because they didn't have similar sporting outcomes in their last seasons. When you compare The Broncos to a team with similar sporting outcomes in Serie A last season, you can see that The Broncos have it easier. However, this also means that sporting success !== financial success in the NFL, which is the underlying weakness of the theory you and jond are putting forward.

When an ex-player like Matt Millen is named CEO of The Detroit Lions and tanks their on-field performance, he's allowed to stay in his position for 7 years because it does not affect the team's ability to make money. When an ex-player like Ollie Kahn is named CEO of Bayern Munich and his team wins the league back-to-back, he is sacked because they won while losing the organization money. Ultimately, the centrally planned nature of the NFL's economy insulates teams from the financial impacts of sucking on the field, which makes the jobs of their administrative officers a lot easier. Thus, it is not easier to financially manage a club like Juventus when compared to teams like the Denver Broncos or Denver Nuggets or Colorado Rockies.

Dervos, russ and smokarz repped this.
  14. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    https://www-calciomercato-com.trans...r-il-rinnovo-di-mckennie-ecco-cosa-filt-37919

This... feels like a nonsense story. Basically, the report says that Juve made a new offer to Wes to keep his current wages for a "season or two", and Wes' people rejected it. The nonsense part is at the end of the story, where the author claims (via Google Translate):

"Weston has received some interesting offers from both MLS and Saudi Arabia, a new contact with Juventus is expected in the next few days which could become decisive."

MLS, IMO, would be unlikely simply because Weston's salary of $2.6m (this is net, pre-tax Wes is on $3.5m) is already on the high side for MLS, and anything that comes close to "Bradley from Roma adjusted for today's market" wages would put him near the same level as Messi and Insigne. I know I've been vocal on this issue, so I want to clarify that I know this transfer is within the realm of possibility, I just think it's super unlikely. I don't think it makes sense for the current version of MLS, and I don't think the teams with open DP slots are ambitious enough to sign Mckennie for silly money. But it's entirely possibly that MLS does MLS stuff to get Wes to Dallas or LA or any of the "cool" cities.

But Saudi Arabia? Lol, even Wes isn't that thirsty for cash.

Other outlets that are parroting this reporting are mentioning interest from BuLi and PL along with a €20m pricetag.

15. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Member+

Oct 7, 2003
    Simsbury, CT
    Wes' agent wouldn't be doing his job if he wasn't testing the salary options in other markets to use as leverage in negotiations with Juventus. Certainly doesn't mean Wes wants to go to MLS or Saudi Arabia.

16. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He could also "do a Henderson" and go to Saudi Arabia for 12 months and then look to move back to Europe. Of course, Henderson had been a free signing . . .

I agree that it's unlikely, but agents have a job to and it's down to the player to decide which of the options they generate to accept

17. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    I wish every big soccer thread had a post making fun of Mat Millen.:inlove:

Deeneaus and irvine repped this.
  18. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Didn’t henderson end up walking away from all the money by not completing his contract and regret the move? WM does not seem like the type that would do this to me.

19. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    TFC likes the big Serie A signings. :thumbsup:

20. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    ??? He's not going to be the main man anywhere, but if you think he's been just rotator or depth at juve then you haven't been paying attention.

Deeneaus, ChicagoVT, don Lamb and 7 others repped this.
  21. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know how much leverage Wes has here. If he wants to play CL footy, he might need to stay at Juve. Juve want him to sign, otherwise, they will be pressed to sell him on. They ought to give him a small raise, but he likely wants to get paid for the insult of him being loaned out as not good enough for the required standard. What CL team would want him?

It is probably a sticky situation, and i hope Juve come correct with the next offer. I wonder if they have FFP issues?

22. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    He asked to be loaned to Leeds. He and Allegri both said this.

superdave repped this.
  23. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sounds like he is going back to the epl

24. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah I wasn't commenting on the Leeds situation per se. I just don't see many CL caliber teams that would buy him for anything other than squad depth. I like him and I know what he can do and how he could be an asset to any team, but I am not sure that is the same perception shared by top level decision makers.

25. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Not FFP, but a bunch of significant financial issues hitting all at once. Remember that barely more than 3 years ago, the ENTIRE Juve board resigned after getting caught doing a number of significant financial crimes. Back in February of this year, they announced a €95.1m loss for just the first half of THIS season, which was attributed to the loss of European football from the sporting penalties handed down for the aforementioned financial crimes. This is compounding a miserable last 5 years for them (from a financial perspective).

Looking to the near future, they're currently considering potential investors in the hope of raising around €200m in cash. At the same time, one of their largest sponsorships (JEEP logo on the kit) is set to expire in June. And to add a tiny droplet to an Olympic-sized pool of financial pain, CAS ruled today that Juve must pay CR7 €9.7m plus interest because Juve "accidentally" underpaid him a few years ago. At least they ruled that Ronaldo didn't deserve the full amount he was requesting (€19.5m)?

Personally, I think Juve will offer Wes a salary bump after they secure a CL spot for next season. Until then, they're probably gonna keep planning for worst case scenarios... Chiesa and Alcaraz are also allegedly having drawn out renewal talks (Alcaraz is on a loan-to-buy deal from Southampton and Chiesa's contract expires in 2025 like Wes).

y-lee-coyote repped this.