Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I'll accept that, but when? Why not now? McKennie is not needed for Serie A matches - Juve's not going anywhere this season - and he's not needed for MNT matches until June. If he waits until after Copa to have surgery, his recovery will spill into next season. There's never a perfect time, so ...

2. mattjens

mattjens Member

United States
    Jun 2, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he had surgery now, he might miss Copa. My daughter had labrum repair due to a shoulder badly dislocated in a soccer injury, and was out for about 16 weeks after the surgery.

TimB4Last repped this.
  3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    #19903 TimB4Last, Mar 4, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
    No, I realize that (he might miss Copa). Assuming surgery can't be postponed until retirement, and successful surgery will cure what ails him, when should he have it? After Copa? The following summer? After the 2026 World Cup, and until then just keep popping his shoulder back into place?

ChicagoVT and tomásbernal repped this.
  4. mattjens

mattjens Member

United States
    Jun 2, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His shoulder will almost certainly continue to dislocate if he doesn't get it repaired, but it's probably not urgent. He'll just have to decide when would be the best time for him to be out for several months.

usnroach repped this.
  5. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with @TimB4Last here--right now seems like it would be an optimal time to do the surgery (I'm assuming y'all are correct in that it'll be necessary at some point in his career). However, he's clearly NOT going to have it now (unless it happens again, perhaps). It's ultimately a decision for him and the medical staff--and I'm sure the USMNT medical staff have/will share their opinions as well. No one can force him to do it, although it's certainly conceivable that the Juve med staff could be applying pressure for him to get it done soon.

6. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    You guys are forgetting that his team is in the middle of a difficult period, and top4 (while still likely) is not assured. Juve need him to be able to play if at all possible. It will likely depend on his pain tolerance and whether his shoulder stays in place the rest of the season.

usnroach, Namdynamo and freisland repped this.
  7. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    We're not forgetting anything. Juventus could start me the rest of the season - or better yet just play 10 v 11 - and still finish top 4.

Next season (league and CL) games will pile up again. Time to take the long view.

8. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    By "forgetting" I meant "ignoring" and that's what I should have typed.

Juve have gone 1-2-3 over the last 6 games. with the only win being over Frosinone, by a "corto muso". They're not playing well at all, and even if you grant them the fact that 2 of the losses were away games at Inter and Napoli respectively, it's still not a good trend and it needs to change.

I agree that 10 points should be enough, but they really haven't looked good in any of these matches. Milan, Bologna and Roma are playing pretty well right now and if Juve don't improve it's a possibility that they could drop out of the top 4, even if it's a slim one.

Anyway, no need to discuss this further, hopefully you're right and they will not have any problems.

usnroach, Namdynamo and TimB4Last repped this.
  9. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    You shouldn't have surgery unless you need surgery.

10. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Watched the latest Sunderland till I die season and Luke O’Nien tried to played through a shoulder that kept dislocating - do not recommend - he eventually had the surgery after trying that for a few months

ChicagoVT repped this.
  11. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Franz Beckenbauer play through the 1970 semifinal vs Italy with this injury? I shoulder to think how painful it must have felt....

Anderson11 and russ repped this.
  12. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #19912 russ, Mar 5, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
    It was in extra time.They had made a sub,so he had to stay on.

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Transfermarkt says his contract expires next summer. When are Juventus gonna have contract talks?

McKenniesWeah and ChicagoVT repped this.
  14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Cosmetic surgeons hate this man.

15. NorcalHockeyhooligan

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to the thinking of "it's not definitive until it's definitive" but here, I agree that Wes should have the surgery given what's probably going to be a jam pack schedule for Juve next season, and there isn't really anything left to play for this season.
    As for Top 4, I thought the Champions League was changing next year so now it's Top 5 that qualify...? Did I hallucinate that?

16. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The two top performing countries in the UEFA coefficient for an individual season get an extra Champions League spot for the following season.

Italy is currently one of those top two, and will probably remain so, but it's not assured yet as far as I know.

It's still a base number of 4 CL qualifiers for the top 5 leagues.

usnroach and NorcalHockeyhooligan repped this.
  17. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juve still have the opportunity to win silverware (Coppa Italia) for the first time since the Coppa Italia in Wes' first year. Not to mention that we continue to drop points while Roma, Bologna, and Atalanta still pushing.

Wes should in no way have the surgery now unless it's needed because he can't play to his normal standard. It should be done over the summer.

I know a lot of us don't want to hear that because of the Copa. Maybe he can have it after the Copa as a comprimise? Miss maybe a few weeks to start the season?

randomnoise and russ repped this.
  18. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about the rest of yall ,but skipping Copa to ensure another full healthy season with Juve is so obviously the best professional decision that I'm sure USMNT Twitter will shit all over it.

WrmBrnr, ShayG, Alemannia and 4 others repped this.
  19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    If thy shoulder dislocate thee, pluck it out.

(I'm rather disappointed in Wes for not taking his medical advice from the hive mind of our BS thread. Doesn't he understand Big (Soccer) Data?)

russ repped this.
  20. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    This was my thinking as well: if he really wants to play in the Copa, he could do it immediately after. It's a surprisingly short recovery period considering the scope of the surgery, with one journal article citing an average return-to-play time of 12 weeks. That would likely put him out until late September / early October if he plays in the Copa.

That said, I'm not sure his shoulder injuries are frequent enough to warrant this? His last one was almost 1.5 years ago, according to TM.

Allende72, russ and usnroach repped this.
  21. ShayG

ShayG Member+

Celtic
    United States
    Aug 9, 2021
    We’ve got players like Tillman and Cardoso who can step up and help develop quality depth to this team. And then Wes would be fully operational before the WC. He’s gotta take care of himself now.

Allende72, russ and Winoman repped this.
  22. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    I would hope he would be operational in two years. Did you mean Copa America?

23. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    The Copa America will be one of the biggest international tournaments Wes will play in. He is on track for likely two more World Cups and the CA will be the next-highest in prestige as well as the early run through for the upcoming World Cup.

I would expect him to want to play. The US needs to have a good tournament there and they him to play. He's one of the teams top couple of guys.

tomásbernal and CyphaPSU repped this.
  24. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How dare you disrespect the mighty Gold Cup as a competition. :mad:

25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    ...Or we lose Guam to the Commies and the Terrorists will have won?

I still got no idea what Wes should do about his shoulder, but if I'm his folks I'm prioritizing his ascendant club career over anything right now. He's starting to be talked about as one of the better B2B disruptor/joker mids in the game. That's worth both a lot of Lira and a lot of Footie prestige. i'm going to bet that "optimum club timeline" in a non-WC cycle will be Wes & co's main focus.

y-lee-coyote, usnroach and russ repped this.