Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    This sounds like a you problem :)

2. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Maybe a my computer problem, but I'm going to go with Google Chrome problem. Definitly not a my problem.

dark knight repped this.
  3. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess Google Chrome is seeing all the Juventus player names and thinking you are on an Italian sports betting site, then "translating" Quote to Odds.

russ, Winoman, dark knight and 1 other person repped this.
  4. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Hmm, good theory. Quote in Italian does translate to odds in English on google translate.

5. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    McKennie AND Weah start against Udinese in the YA match of the day. Looks like you would expect - 3-5-2 with Weah at RWB and McKennie as the RCM.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  6. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    Wes has had a great season, although the last couple matches Juve has struggled and he has not done much to change their results.

nonetheless, he is still one of their key players. I just hope he can start scoring a couple goals to have something to show for his efforts this season.

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    A lot of it is Allegri, a coach after my own heart: defense is first, everything else comes from it.

Which is the sort of philosophy that is under attack in Italy now. There have been several articles in the last four years attacking the concept. Since I'm partisan, I don't buy into them. But here is a good one:

https://www.rivistaundici.com/2023/01/13/juventus-allegri-difesa/

At this point, between risking going on the offensive to try to catch Inter (unlikely) and staying put defense-first to secure that Champions League spot 100%, he's picked the latter.

Some may hate him over it, but to me it makes sense.

8. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It makes sense if you are Roma, Napoli, Lazio. Not as the coach of Juventus who also happens to earn (7m net) significantly more money than any other coach in the league.

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    If you look at the games left, even before the Udinese fiasco, after the loss at San Siro you were not catching Inter.

10. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That doesn't take into account that Inter will likely have 2-4 midweek CL matches to worry about. I'm fine with being pragmatic and even leaning on the defensive side, it was the approach to those games. It never looked like Juve were up for it.

You're right in that it was always going to be a long shot to keep up with Inter, let alone over take them. After dropping points against Empoli, all belief seemed to go.

However, Juve was much much closer to Inter than they were to 5th place Bologna. They still are. Inter will like be 10 points ahead after their match in hand and Bologna are 14 points back.

11. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Really sucks for Juve but with that midfield they just are not potent enough to catch Inter. They weren't going to win the rest of their games 1-0, which is largely what they were doing on their win streak. Give Allegri credit for getting the most out of this team, but they gotta have more creativity than Locatelli and Kostic and Rabiot. Stinks that Pogba went down but not sure he'd have made much difference.

12. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, the midfield isn't good enough and unbalanced. Locatelli, Rabiot, and Wes are all too similar and not enough creativity. Everything has to be created on the wings. If Juve go down, they don't have enough ideas/quality in how to break down a bunkered team. I believe Max is at his wits end with this squad and there should be more to squeeze out of them. IMO.

madvillain and ChicagoVT repped this.
  13. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Good point, been that way since DiMaria went down and out. With Chiesa now battling chronic knee issues that wing play has declined. Weah is one for the future perhaps, but he's certainly not capable of the dynamic end to end runs of Chiesa.

Again, I give Allegri credit, he was handed a bad situation and will have them back in the UCL next year and at least the foundation of the next great Juve team might be in place.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Allegri's probably getting the most he can out of this team.

They'll have a better finish in the table than they've had in the last 3 years.
    Moving in the right direction.

Some good building blocks in place, but more still needed.

I'm not sure Weah or McKennie are on the team when Juve next wins the Scudetto.

15. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that Max has handled a very difficult situation at Juve better than most. CR7 leaving late in 2021 summer and being replaced with Kean, Chiesa going down with an ACL that same year. 22-23 having the club leadership resigning and being docked points, having them re-instated, and having them docked again after finishing 3rd on the pitch always being announced just before matches kick-off. This summer, only being able to bring in Weah for $11m as your only new player while losing 2 possible starters in CM between Pogba and Fagioli to bans.

With that said, I don't think the 3-5-2 is the best option for the players he has and I'm not sure why he continues with it. He has 2 CF in Vlahovic and Milik, while Kean can play through the center or on the wing. He has natural wingers like Chiesa, Iling Jr., Yildiz, Kostic, and Weah. Danilo may be better as a LCB in a back 3, but the dude still starts as the RB for Brazil. Cambiaso and Alex Sandro are LB's. Weah can do a job at RB just as well as RW at the club level and Mattia De Sciglio will be back as another RB.

This team should probably be set up to play 4-3-3 by now.

Circling back to YA, Wes has had a pretty great year even if his G/A don't show it, so I can't complain from his end.

TimB4Last, ChicagoVT and madvillain repped this.
  16. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
  17. gjackson2207

gjackson2207 Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    WM was injured. Shoulder maybe? Roughly 85th minute. Game tied at 2. Weah subbed in earlier.

18. gjackson2207

gjackson2207 Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The injury was a result of making an emergency tackle after WM had made a terrible pass. He does have both assists for Juve’s two goals.

19. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    His first assist was a thing of beauty.
    Shoulder out of socket? Was in a lot of pain.

20. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully it's not dislocated and wolverine can recover quickly.

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009

22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    #19872 freisland, Feb 25, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2024
    Both were really nicely threaded. Chose sleep over footie this AM, but looks like I missed a good game.

Cult of Calcio has Wes tied for 3rd highest on Juve, fwiw
    Weston McKennie – 6.5

An action-packed day for the USMNT star who delivered two assists to Vlahovic, but almost gifted the opponents a goal with a careless pass at the back. He rectified his mistake with a suicidal block, but it earned him a shoulder injury.

Timothy Weah – 5.5

Not a bad outing from the American but still lacks the final touch.

23. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    It’ll take Weston’s body about three days to heal a dislocated shoulder.

24. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Dislocated shoulder really sucks

25. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get advice from Martin Riggs.

LouisianaViking07/09 and usnroach repped this.