Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Member+

Oct 7, 2003
    Simsbury, CT
    Good lord. Why does McKennie attract so much hate for the dumbest reasons?

He's literally one game away from dropping a 60 yard pass onto Vlahovic's chest for a pretty damn important goal for Juventus against Lazio.

I'm glad McKennie is such a laid back guy - this stuff has to be a constant drain on your spirit.

neems, bct81, WheezingUSASupport and 4 others repped this.
  2. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

oh ya.

3. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    complete irrelevance ....

former West Ham United player commenting on a former Leeds player who now plays in Italy for Juventus .... said former Hammer who is now a commentator for Italian TV ...

classic - trash current American player (just crap on a non Euro player) to UK publication to raise clickbait and revenue for your current gig on Italian TV - "all press is good press".

Di Canio must have some tax issues and he is pulling a Nicholas Cage ....

what a tool.

60611 and USA-Zebuel repped this.
  4. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    To be fair, I think Di Canio was speaking as a pundit on an Italian broadcast, and I think his point was that a number of Juve starters aren't good enough for this team to win a title. (Naming the American who just returned on loan from a relegated team is just a lazy way to illustrate that point.). Leeds outlets just pounced on the McKennie quotes because their fans take a special delight in anything negative surrounding certain former Leeds players.

5. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Call me crazy but I have 0 problem with Di Canio's comment or the timing of it.

I love Wes and he's doing fine right now but he'd probably be a squad player if Juve were title contenders. However, the reality is...they're far from it and Wes is the least of Allegri's problems as he rebuilds the squad for future success

If Di Canio, or Juve supporters, truly expect the team to challenge Inter for the scudetto right now they are in for a looooooong and frustrating year ahead

6. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wes relives his best moments for Juventus

7. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I’ll stick with ditsy, thanks.

majspike, ChrisSSBB, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Juve is two points from #2 though (better GD than Milan). It's early to say much, but they don't look "far" from it right now. If that were the case, we'd have to say Inter is going to be the runaway champion.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  9. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Un americano è fino
    due è sfidando il destino
    tre, sei morto, bambino

11. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the quote, I don't think he is entirely wrong. Gatti, McKennie, and Miretti is not a particularly strong side to compete for titles.

With that said, Milan broke Juve's winning streak with Calabria, Kessie, and Saelamakers making up their right side.

freisland repped this.
  12. ChicagoVT

ChicagoVT Member

United States
    Jun 26, 2019
    The timing of the quote is weird though. Wes is playing very good football right now. He looks great in his RWB position. Miretti is having a tough time and got subbed out at half and Gatti just scored one of the most embarrassing own goals I have ever seen. Wes doesn't belong in that group. The negativity towards him is dumbfounding. He could score a goal a game and arrogant Serie A/ Juve supporters still won't accept him. They just seem like lazy comments not actually based on reality. It's frustrating. There are plenty of other guys in the Juve squad right now you could complain about, but not Wes.

Mason16, nbarbour and Deeneaus repped this.
  13. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bringing up his Leeds failure is weird and certainly not needed but once again, I don't think he is wrong about the quality of that right side and frankly much of the squad.

14. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But something that shouldn't have to be said, why in the world would a company be using someone like Paolo Di Canio as a public personality? He should not be anywhere near anything of importance, he should be a nobody and shouldn't have any platform to have his thoughts amplified.

neems, nbarbour, Casper and 8 others repped this.
  15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    #19315 freisland, Sep 26, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2023
    Nothing would make me laugh harder than Wes and Juventus in a battle for the title come May. Paolo is a dumb crazy, creepy pig. Why anyone gives people like him the mic, when there are much smarter crazy creepy pigs is beyond me.

Meanwhile, McRanch’s Lecce ratings fwiw.
    Eurosport: Tied for team high 7
    Yardbarker: Tied for team high 6.5
    Who scored - 5 highest 7.1 (Rabiot top, Locatelli, Malik, Danilo also higher…)

16. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights

17. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So proud of him.

neems, 60611, Dervos and 5 others repped this.
  18. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    occasionally we serve ourselves by remembering that commentators get paid to talk, not to be correct, and for their bosses the goal is to get attention and clicks. People like Di Canio get the mic because the public wants to see the car crash.

Part of the public anyway, and the part that just wants to see or hear about the game has to suffer along because their attention ‘proves’ that the formula works.

usnroach, jmplautz and Dizi repped this.
  19. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Sassuolo having a moment. Beating top two teams back to back.

ChicagoVT, neems, freisland and 2 others repped this.
  20. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Played well again today. Another hockey assist with a wonderfully weighted chipped ball across the box. I recall he had a game recently when he was involved in all 3 goals in the game. Weah is clearly the backup now.

neems and DCU1984 repped this.
  21. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its maddening that its either/or between wes and weah....makes no sense to me....they are so different as players

ChicagoVT, nbarbour and Winoman repped this.
  22. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also very surprising that Weah would come in at 1-0 to shore up the D...

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I saw this was tied and wondered if they would pip. Good for them, keeping thing interesting.

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Maybe, or it could be amazing that we have 4 players as regular contributors to top-3 Serie A clubs, with two of them being legit lock-starters... I mean, I'm old enough to bask in the unexpected glory of it all for a moment.

russ, usnroach, ChicagoVT and 4 others repped this.
  25. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no me too im old enough too....i would take it over not

BUT

wes and weah are not similar players and the coach using them as a pair with only 1 being allowed to play at a time is ludicrous

they are national team teammates....the chemistry they would have would be beneficial to the team...plus they arent very similar in terms of skillset...its just weird.

ChicagoVT repped this.