Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    The relative quiet today makes me think yesterday's leaks got other teams more involved and Leeds is in a holding pattern until McKennie can see what Arsenal/Spurs/etc. plan to do.

dark knight repped this.
  2. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not ready for the national team IMHO. He needs to figure out how to make in-game adjustments when his preferred style isn't working.

3. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Member+

Oct 7, 2003
    Simsbury, CT
    I get that it's probably not the best spot for him to land from a sporting-perspective, but man it would make Leeds must watch TV every week.

Arsenal would be amazing even though he'd get limited minutes. The experience would be worth it!

Dizi repped this.
  4. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Not crazy about this move unless Leeds is taking it up a gear in spending like Newcastle have done recently.

His game is definitely suited to the EPL but I’m unsure if Leeds is the right choice. That could be 3 top US players and coach sinking together.

The one positive of this move would be having two thirds of our MMA midfield playing together at a club level building more chemistry. Robinson and Ream on the field together at the WC probably made each a little better than they might have been without the other.

Jumbalaya, dark knight and theboogeyman repped this.
  5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Still cannot imagine a world in which Wes goes to Leeds without a relegation release. Not that you want to be looking for a new club again after a few months in the EPL, but if his folks let him sign a contract that has him playing in the Championship... well, maybe they did let him take cash in an envelope from Juve.

6. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017

Fabrizio Romano seems to insinuate that the price-tag Leeds are hoping for is €30m or less. He also says that Weston is Leeds' top-priority, but they have a backup in mind (Azzedine Ounahi).

7. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Why would a club that is now….what…a few points out of the relegation zone….pay $30 million for a player that is purchased to ensure they aren’t relegated…then agree to a contract that requires them to sell said player if he fails to accomplish the very thing he was purchased to do?

Dizi repped this.
  8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    So he will actually sign?

The alternate is why a CL level player would go to a team that obviously could be relegated without a release clause?

9. NorcalHockeyhooligan

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, what scares me about this possible move to Leeds is IF they get relegated, I think the reputation of Americans in footie will take a bad hit. The US and individual Americans don’t have enough success to insulate themselves from the hit should Leeds go to the Championship.

But if Leeds can’t get Wes for 30M Euros or less, wouldn’t their back up choice Ounahi cost more than 30M Euros?

10. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Sounds like that's what Fab is saying... Leeds would prefer Weston because they think they can get him for less than Ounahi.

11. mattjens

mattjens Member

United States
    Jun 2, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This sounds like a deal that will get done.

12. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s very common. Most good players will not join any EPL team without an exit clause in case of relegation.

13. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Are we talking about Gregg or Jesse?

60611 and Dervos repped this.
  14. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm willing to eat my words but having watched both teams obsessively...If LUFC manage to close the deal I'd guarantee they'll avoid relegation. Full stop.

I would've never proposed this pairing myself but I'm pretty high on it now. It's extremely important to have the trust of your manager and feel wanted so I'm all in if Marsch & Wes are already on the same wavelength.

A huge hindrance to his success at Juve has been the age and lack of mobility in squad (full of many over the hill players who should've been phased out in search of fresh legs). He'd never have the same problem at Leeds since the core players are all pretty young. Everyone is anticipating he'll show good chemistry with MNT mates Adams and Aaronson but I'm most excited to see him combine with Rodrigo & Rutter to create opportunities.

I'm very optimistic about the trade and fully expect him to make a bigger move next summer (City? Liverpool? MUFC?). Leeds could be the perfect springboard for that...he'd have ample opportunity to prove himself in front of the managers and scouts of all the best English clubs. But if he chooses to stay for a bit and Leeds show similar ambition in upcoming windows I could see them rising to the top half of the table in all honesty!

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I am choosing to believe Dizi, cause why not?

Deep Wilcox and Dizi repped this.
  16. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    When Weston goes to Leeds he and Tyler are gonna tear it up together. And this dynamic is why:

LouisianaViking07/09 and Deeneaus repped this.
  17. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    [​IMG]

Dizi, Winoman and USA-Zebuel repped this.
  18. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    almost as entertaining as Mourinho - almost but not quite.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  19. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    This Transfer, if it happens, is a mistake FOR WES, but good business for Leeds. I agree with many who think Wes is too good for Leeds, and may have had chances to go to bigger clubs that play CL.
    That said, I think people forget Leeds is a MASSSIVE club in England (despite years fighting in lower leagues). They have amazing support and history. If the right ownership takes over, and it appears the SF 49’ers group is about to be all in and take majority, and if they invest and spend wisely, I could see Leeds becoming a big club again, competitively speaking. Maybe a top 6-7 club again.

It would be cool if our Yank trio could be a part of them rising to that level again. But it would take years and lots of moving pieces to fall into place…

21. Noriega7

Noriega7 Member

Newcastle United
    Dec 27, 2017
    What Club do you think he should have gone to?...

I think he feels Leeds and Marsch will offer him guaranteed regular football..Something that wasn't quite there at Juve.

Dizi repped this.
  22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Soon we may return to the golden years when UEFA playing Leeds fans were knifed to death in the Galata. Those were the days...

23. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    No CL next year for juve. I don’t see the need to wait for a CL club to come in and splash the money. Especially when juve will need the cash. Leeds will be a big pay day and he gets to ball out against the best competition each week. 1.5 years of showing off at Leeds should see him get a bigger club to give him the contract that will carry him through his prime and all the money he could ever need.

madvillain repped this.
  24. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Because that's how it works. The team takes on the downside risk, not the player. Not at a club like Leeds at least. And Leeds has 150 million or so reasons to try and stay up. Weston knows this, so it's not like he's going in expecting a relegation.

It's an exciting move. Weston performs wherever. He'll help them.

Dizi and Hobo repped this.
  25. NorcalHockeyhooligan

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [QUOTE="RecLeague Super Sub, post: 41145629, member: 336537 If the right ownership takes over, and it appears the SF 49’ers group is about to be all in and take majority, and if they invest and spend wisely, …[/QUOTE]
    I remember the free spending days of the Eddie DeBartolo years of the Niners. Mr. D did whatever it took to take care of the players and spent lavishly. Players credited him as part of the reason Niners were Team of the Decade.
    If they take over Leeds, I hope Niners owners will also do what it takes to help Leeds succeed.