Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Transfer Guru Graeme Bailey on The Football Show on Sirus stated he is number two on the list for several big clubs in the EPL if they do not get the number one choice. Tottenham, Arsenal among those. Leeds and Leicester City being other teams in the race.

2. aeschylusdanceparty

NYRB
    United States
    Jun 3, 2021
    Well, it seemed like he had better options available. His choice though. Now they need to grab some results.

3. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gets his foot in the door of the EPL and with a team where he's their first choice and not their second or third so he's more likely to get significant playing time. Look good for months left in this season and your value only goes up in the eyes of the league. It's a gamble but he probably needs the infusion of energy the move will give him and getting away from the B movie that is Juve right now isn't dumb.

Not my choice for him long term but I think a decent gamble for him and he's willing to bet on himself.

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Realistically, tho, he’s got to have a relegation out, and I don’t know how much worse your bargaining position is jumping off an epl club on the drop versus an Italian club who may finally be facing serious financial reckoning. He’s jumping off the titanic onto one of the less stable life boats. But there are rescue ships - and sharks - in those waters. Eventually, in this market, quality wills out. Does he have enough time to show it? Hopefully, the lifeboat stays afloat and that question is moot.

(Upon rereading this post I can confirm it was not written by chatgpt, it just reads like it was.)

russ, WheezingUSASupport, Dizi and 4 others repped this.
  5. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    Presumably if he's number two for several clubs they may have the same #1.

Arsenal seems like a relatively good fit since Xhaka is getting up in age. At one point it looked like Partey's personal issues was going to make him surplus to requirements but I don't get that sense anymore.

6. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    This is my thought on the move. Honestly, anywhere but Juve is good for him, and even if Leeds do go down, he's had several years of CL experience and won a starting spot on a decently stacked team... others in the Premier League will want him!

russ, Mr Martin, Dizi and 1 other person repped this.
  7. Noriega7

Noriega7 Member

Newcastle United
    Dec 27, 2017
    Leeds United fits him to a T with their high-pressing all out attacking football..They will surely beat the drop with McKennie in the fold.

With Arsenal, not sure he'd get too many starts with Xaka and Partley.

Dizi repped this.
  8. bakerkdb

bakerkdb Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    I think Leeds fanbase is pretty level compared to many other clubs. But I do agree that Marsch needs points ASAP. I cant believe he isn't gone already. If they do drop all of our boys are too expensive to keep so will get sold on anyway. Might as well enjoy seeing the band together while we can. McKennie and Adams anyway, I think Aaronson is heading to the bench and its deserved.

Dizi repped this.
  9. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is not really the forum for this but I will just briefly say that it could pay dividends to have some of our core players training and playing together consistently. In the end, if Leeds is able to stay up and improve in the standings next season then I think this will be a win. Time will tell. I think Wes fits the Leeds Style of play to a tee when he is fit so I am eager to see what impact he makes.

Dizi and Anderson11 repped this.
  10. Nastrabrahmus

Nastrabrahmus Member+

Mar 29, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    It’s about his potential club so it’s absolutely relevant to here.

also, concentrated positions can pay off very well, but often burn everyone in the long run.

11. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see your initial point... the move to Leeds is a step down WRT Euro Comps as in there are none. But if the US is going to continue to develop into a legit Soccer Nation we have to start viewing multiple Yanks on the same top 5 Euro Team as a positive IMO.

Dizi repped this.
  12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    ‘just think, when Jesse takes over usmnt at least 3 players know the system.

13. aeschylusdanceparty

NYRB
    United States
    Jun 3, 2021
    If the US is going to continue to develop as a soccer nation it will be because the MLS continues to improve and US produces more and more top five Euro talent, not because fans agree or disagree on whether having 3 Americans on Leeds is good or questionable.

14. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just made my point... there is a finite number of clubs in Europe so it stands to reason if we continue to add more players in the top 5 leagues then we are going to have clubs with 3 Yanks on it.

Dizi repped this.
  15. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether or not there is intentionality to it, Marsch is padding his resume strengths that he can use to apply for the USMNT job.

16. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But a great move from a Yanks Abroad chat perspective. Very efficient watching, three top yanks plus a top coach.

Dizi and NorcalHockeyhooligan repped this.
  17. aeschylusdanceparty

NYRB
    United States
    Jun 3, 2021
    If Juve weren't utter financial shambles, no one would think McKennie going to Leeds is good. They were all already in Europe, we haven't added anything. Furthermore, whatever my personal opinion on three being at Leeds, or yours, doesn't make an ounce of difference to the US becoming a soccer nation. In this context we haven't added anything new to Europe, and this move was forced by Juve being terribly run.

FirstStar repped this.
  18. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Marsch was allowed to hire Chris Armas as an assistant this morning and is being given full license to sign players to fit his system.

I don't see any signs that he's even close to being in trouble.

19. aeschylusdanceparty

NYRB
    United States
    Jun 3, 2021
    Yeah I can't imagine at this point they would do anything before the end of the season. They seem all in on Marsch. And I agree with everyone saying they really should stay up, and I tend to think they will as well, but its not completely obvious at the moment.

Anderson11 repped this.
  20. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    So is Weston Rose in this scenario? Does that mean Jesse is Leo di Cap?

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Jesse is the ice berg.

aeschylusdanceparty repped this.
  22. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair point. However, results do matter here for the next month or so of games. I’ve still got concerns stacking players on Leeds and hope to be wrong.

23. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Are we all still pulling for Jesse’s success? Or has USMNT drama changed that?

24. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Honestly Jesse's success as a manager in Europe would do more to help the game than him failing and coaching the USMNT.

Jesse having success would honestly open doors for other American coaches

25. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want Wes at Leeds, but he's a big boy and gets to make his own decisions.