Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. They hire agent/lawyer types to protect them. Then they get crap advice from them and it's their fault? It's BS to suggest 'they're adults and they should know' because their age has nothing to do with it. My grandparents are older and they wouldn't understand that aspect of pro athlete pay either. The athlete just wants to get paid and if it's presented to them that this is the way they get paid, then they go along.

This will be interesting as it unfolds.

Dizi repped this.
  2. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    One is more fun than the other

majspike, freisland, WrmBrnr and 2 others repped this.
  3. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Member+

Oct 7, 2003
    Simsbury, CT
    Would this 30 day punishment carry over to a new club if he is sold? Said another way - if this 30 day punishment carries over to a new club, I guess he won't get sold until the summer.

4. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    I agree that this is a big concern.

Regardless of how well players understood that the scheme was sketchy, it seems like they might feel pressured into going along with it. Even an implicit threat of retaliation or blacklisting would be enough to make most players think twice about making noise.

Dizi repped this.
  5. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Yes, the claim is that the 30 day ban would instantly go into effect for all players still in Italy, and that the Italian FA would push UEFA / FIFA to enforce the ban for players who have since been sold to other leagues. Spurs' new Managing Director (Fabio Paratici) is also implicated and would be affected by the ban.

6. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    Ugh, Fab reporting that Leeds-West talks are legit and happening at a fast pace. Not crazy about this one, but I knew the Arsenal rumor sounded far-fetched.

Man, Jesse really is going all in on the Yanks, local Brit criticism be damned.

WheezingUSASupport, Dizi, neems and 2 others repped this.
  7. usfootball20

usfootball20 Member+

May 15, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I brought up Leeds weeks ago. Leeds would be a good move. It’s a big club that is investing with potentially new ownership to take them back towards the top clubs.
    Top league. Roca hasn’t been that convincing. Other CM options are not good. Seems like a good place for our guys to play and develop.

zlatan_but_a_car and Dizi repped this.
  8. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wes does seem to fit the Leed mold in more ways than one. When in shape he has a pretty good engine, plays both ways, is tough, good in the air and is a Yank. The aerial threat in particular could really help Leeds as they seem to win a lot of corners and don't reap many benefits from them. Would be kind of cool to have dual Yank CDMs on a single EPL club. Might give the next USMNT manager another reason to try an alternative formation that a 4-3-3.

NorcalHockeyhooligan repped this.
  9. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree he would be an instant upgrade over Roca but I would expect him to be targeting a team in contention for Europe in the EPL.

Juventus cast-offs like Bentancur and Kulusevski have been useful for Tottenham which is an indication that that Wes should probably aim higher than Leeds.

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Moving from Juventus to Leeds, could he become their record transfer? I gotta figure his wages would double at the least.

11. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I would not like to see him go to Leeds. Count me out.

12. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    love it

13. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Not really, and not really.

14. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    1618011996565442561 is not a valid tweet id

15. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  16. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is not what Leeds needs. Their strength is already in their area of the field. Roca and Adams have good chemistry. They need another defender (lb prolly), possibly a backup striker.

The partners that made sense to me were

1. Arsenal on a clearance sale/buy low. They'd use him as a utility man. Find plenty of opportunities for him thru Europa League/UCL, Cups, & League matches at a variety positions because of fixture congestion. He could help them win a title.

2. A mid-table EPL club who's higher up the table than Leeds, who needs Wes more, and for whom he'd also start.

I hope Leeds gets out-bid by one of these types of suitors.

LouisianaViking07/09 and neems repped this.
  17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Leeds is one point above relegation.

We could have another Venezia situation.

18. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Would be highly risky. What if he goes there and they still get relegated? He might be good for Arsenal, but it would be the same story as Juve, a stable mid level club would be what he needed.

19. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    McKennie is good for a few goals. They need a guy like that, considering the two Americans they currently have playing a ton of minutes are about as likely to catch bubonic plague as they are to score or set up a goal.

20. rooted

rooted Member

United States
    Feb 22, 2022
    Driftless
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This Leeds-live article claims interest being driven by Victor Orta, who is said to have followed McKennie since Schalke, and makes it sound like Marsch is tangential...though even if accurate, the perception and criticism will be there regardless

zlatan_but_a_car and WrmBrnr repped this.
  21. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roca is clearly the weak link in that midfield.

22. RidiculousLichaj

May 18, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you watch Leeds? Just curious.

results are what matter at the end of the day, but they’ve been incredibly unlucky to not get more out of their performances.

don’t see them going down with the additions of Wober and Rutter. If they add Mckennie, no chance imo.

23. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where you and I differ is I don't think Juve was a bad situation, until they got docked the points so can't contend for the title or play in UCL next year. At Arsenal he'd be in position to win a (bigger) league title and be in UCL the following season. Probably have a better shot of winning it than this version of Juve ever did. While he carves out 2k minutes (if healthy) a season as a utility man. That suffices for me.

24. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's their 4th highest rated player in the metrics this season, and complements Adams well, so:

[​IMG]

25. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    a big club for sure - but one that could be in the Championship soon.