Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    I think you are overstating Juventus’ recent fall. Up until the past couple years, they were a lock to win the league, and expected to make a decent CL run. They’re down right now, but I think they still compare favorably to the 4-7 teams in the EPL.

for me, if he gets a chance to go somewhere that’s clearly a step up, and willing to give him a shot at starting, he should consider it. But Liverpool, Chelsea, City, Bayern, PSG, Madrid, and maybe Athletico are the only ones I would consider to be a step up. Any others, like Arsenal, Tottenham, or inter, would need to offer a big raise to make a move worthwhile, IMO.

2. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    The BS crew is simply the best. Wes loses a place, manager says he's surplus to requirements, everyone hoping for a move to Southampton or Villa.

Regains his place, has a couple good games, and now he's ready to bench any MFer on one of the top 5 teams in the world.

How about everyone just chills and enjoys a guy starting and producing at a club level the likes of which no other American has ever done before? Or at least maybe wait more than a stretch of 4 games before we decide he's pushing De Bruyne out of the squad.

3. el floppo

el floppo Member

NY RB
    United States
    Dec 7, 2021
    NYC LES Evil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just read it on the internet, so it must be true.

How long before this gets picked up by soccer media?

4. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    I agree with all of this but, again, I don't think I'm overstating the decline of Juve because I'm only referring to the sporting side of things and they genuinely are a mess right now on the field.

That's just my opinion but I've watched almost all the games since Wes joined the club and I don't see them as very strong. Growing up, I could never imagine Juve struggling to contain Venezia or getting knocked out CL by a club like Porto. But on the other hand when everyone is healthy (especially Cuadrado & Dybala) and Sczezny is locked in...they shouldn't be as bad as they are!

Like many clubs, my low expectation about how quickly they rebuild is more a lack of confidence in current FO leadership than anything else. I don't see Nedved and the gang navigating the market during the ongoing pandemic to make proper changes to this squad. Maybe they'll prove me wrong :thumbsup: which would be great for McKennie.

Despite how crappy the team has become they've still maintained their reputation and prestige for the most part. The same can't be said of Arsenal or Tottenham who at various points in the past 30-40 years were undoubtedly elite or legitimate title contenders. Even Barça have taken a greater hit in the minds of most fans than Juventus

So there's that...it shouldn't be too hard to convince new talent to join the project.

dark knight repped this.
  5. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    #15355 schrutebuck, Jan 18, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    McKennie begins on the bench for today's cup match. It's a strong Juventus XI, but he's started a bunch of matches this month, so rotation is good.

Very considerate of Allegri to not completely overwork him before the international break.

6. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Just saw an old ESPN video about Wes made a gamble in his risky move to Juve. LOL. He is one of the best player in the team. How risky is that?!!

8. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Right when it happened doesn't equal risky today. Whether or was risky when it happened is debatable.

usnroach repped this.
  9. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Apparently many people thought he is not good enough to play for Juve. But Juve didn’t think so and they are the one who put their money where their mouth is.

Winoman repped this.
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    The move came out of nowhere. If I recall, he was supposed to be moving to Southampton and then WHAM...he joins Juventus.

He's surpassed every single expectation which shows he really belongs at a big club even if it's in a rough patch recently.

Winoman repped this.
  11. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    That's why I said it was debatable back then whether it was a risky move.

12. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    to me, worrying about it being a risky move seemed ridiculous at the time. WM was about the same age when he went from Schalke to Juventus that locatelli was when he got sold by AC Milan.

when Mckennie went to Juventus, he was a young player with plenty of experience and potential who was rough around the edges. And the 22.5 he was sold for was not a small amount, but it was hardly crazy given the market at the time. He wasn’t any sort of sure thing, but the fee Juventus paid was not enormous either.

NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  13. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
    Google translate seems to be struggling today, but this is a thread started about McKennie, yesterday, on Vecchiasignora. You can read what Juve's fans think.
    https://www-vecchiasignora-com.tran...=it&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

dark knight, orcrist and madvillain repped this.
  14. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
    Hmmm... no I did not. Why would you think that?

You said, you see lots of striped jerseys in Europe, implying how popular Juve are. I made a bit of a joke by saying they could be Newcastle United or Notts County jerseys, not necessarily Juve ones. Of course you know that Juve got their stripes from Notts County.

usnroach, superdave and dark knight repped this.
  15. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Gotcha, sorry misunderstood!

16. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soooo, glad to see Weston get a break during Cup action

Winoman repped this.
  17. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Cup games are for the back ups.

eric_appleby and russ repped this.
  18. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God bless Vespucciland!

(Thanks, and a tip o' the hat to Firesign Theater!)

felloveranddidanadu and russ repped this.
  19. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Some great discussion of Weston there from their perspective. My favorite quote was probably "a true American sportsman, gives it all on the field then the moment it's over is all relaxation".

PalmettoSpur, GreedyG, KenC and 3 others repped this.
  20. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "he has reset the neurons and is (finally) becoming a professional" :eek:

KenC, Winoman and madvillain repped this.
  21. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    For the most part their critiques and praise are spot on. Weston DID have a bit of a big head about him and he DID get involved in some fairly high profile off the field adventures both with club and country that at best were a distraction from his play and focus and at worst could have jeopardized the health and safety of his squad and himself.

It's not a big deal as long as the player matures and that is what has happened.

On the field their critiques are pretty much ours: final ball often lacking, sloppy with his passes on occasion, sometimes more bark than bite in his defending.

And the praise of his qualities: nose for goal, great in the air, plays quick transitions, busts a lung, plays with intensity for 90 minutes -- all stuff I think we'd agree on as well.

usnroach and KenC repped this.
  22. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They agree with us,so they must be alright!

Deeneaus, madvillain and CyphaPSU repped this.
  23. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP

Deeneaus, Dizi, russ and 1 other person repped this.
  24. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Some real clever minds over there.

Deeneaus and russ repped this.
  25. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
    "managed to lose another couple of kilos, he would be even better!"

"He has the physical structure to dominate in midfield, but he has to shed those blessed pounds"

"I think there was a wrong translation from feet and inches. For me it doesn't have 6 feet. It's 1.80 max with shoes on"

Yep, it's just like BS, Wes needs to lose some weight, and who thinks Wes is 6ft tall?

26. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pizza with ranch dressing,bro!Not great!
    ;)

KenC repped this.