Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Howdy - I've already requested that be dropped as a topic - happy to take more heavy handed measures if necessary.

2. aeschylusdanceparty

NYRB
    United States
    Jun 3, 2021
    I think Juve bought Weston just because he is a swell fellow

CyphaPSU, KenC, USA-Zebuel and 1 other person repped this.
  3. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Their fans have a nickname for him that is endearing when he's playing well and perhaps a minor insult when he's not: "snacks".

That's perfect, he does have that chubby, cherubic face.

The thing the separates the elite players from the merely solid or good ones is if course consistency. There was an awesome post a few pages ago about the few times a US player has had that 'world class' form and it's not been often. If Weston can sustain this form throughout the year he can start to be considered a true heir to Vidal at Juve.

russ and dark knight repped this.
  4. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on Pogba.

------------------------Locatelli
    --------McKennie-----------------Pogba

^^^ is a midfield that I would love to roll with. All three have different characteristics that make me believe it would be very balanced. Locatelli as the person to dictate play and tempo while also being more than capable defensively. Wes to be the b2b midfielder with late runs into the box and Pogba being the creative midfielder who adds both goals and assists.

5. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and Pogba doesn't have to worry about being a leader if he is on Weston's team

Just watched the Fiorentina game and WM was playing at a higher speed...

ChicagoVT repped this.
  6. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a lot of truth to it. HIs current wages are €14 million though, which Juve has stated is too high. Raiola has indicated that he's willing to take a wage cut as long as they offer him a 3 year deal. Allegri loves Pogba and Pogba loves Allegri, they had a great relationship together at Juve.

Pogba at Juve the first time was great, not sure how it would be this time around. Maybe he would find that magic again, or maybe ManU ruined him permanently. It's a risk though.

russ repped this.
  7. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    To be fair, I'm not sure ManU ruined him - he had an active hand in it. Or perhaps I should say inactive sometimes disinterested hand in it. I don't know if his arrival would be good or bad for WM's development. If it means he has to stay back and play more defensively to cover the messes Pogba often creates, I'm not sure that's a positive. Nowadays it seems Pogba is at his best when he has a 2 players in 1 Kante' next to him.

HScoach13, theboogeyman and russ repped this.
  8. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think McKennie, Pogba, Locatelli and one other could work.

Mt Stone@ and dark knight repped this.
  9. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Busio of course.

Mt Stone@ repped this.
  10. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He definitely would not have the same high wage demands.

11. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless Pogba is a different player for Juventus than he is for ManU, don't bet anything on him. The guy is more up and down in his performances than any player I've seen in any sport. He's truly among my favorites when he is near or at his best, but he does nothing to help the team at all other times and, during about 50% of those other times, he really drags the team down. I've finally come to the conclusion that he is incorrigible and a permanent non-fit for ManU. Good riddance.

golazo68 repped this.
  12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It's so weird when a player as obviously talented as Pogba is so erratic. I don't have a strong opinion how going to Juve at this point would affect him or the team, but it would still be cool as heck for Wes to play with him. Resurgent or erratic, he's still an incredible player in moments.

majspike and golazo68 repped this.
  13. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fairly good deal for Juve to replace overpaid Bosmans Rabiot and Ramsey with overpaid Bosman Pogba IMO. At least you have the chance that Pogba returns to form/cares while with the other two, they are what they are. (or aren't, really)

KenC and usnroach repped this.
  14. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    And Rabiot and Ramsey replaced Bosman Emre Can

KenC and usnroach repped this.
  15. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    Ramsey is a shadow of the player he was. I really liked watching him as a neutral as well.

Mt Stone@ and usnroach repped this.
  16. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I hope they let McKennie go straight back to Juve. That makes the most sense. It’s best for Wes, Juve and ultimately USsoccer. He’ll get the extra days back with his club and be ready to go for Juves next fixture.

Winoman, wrench, gjackson2207 and 8 others repped this.
  17. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, please! Big run of matches coming up as well. Lazio, Chelsea, Atalanta.

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Wes is becoming The Prince That Was Promised

felloveranddidanadu and Rossonero23 repped this.
  19. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was Claudio Marchisio (il principino) ;):thumbsup:

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Griff

21. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Think the Tottenham rumors are crazy unless they’re offering him a significant wage increase, though perhaps a….social young man such as Wes would prefer the London scene.

From a sporting perspective it makes no sense

22. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless Conte has a specific need for him (i.e., as long as this is not some crazy idea coming from Spurs management without Conte's input).

Winoman repped this.
  23. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And he has reportedly departed camp to go back to Juventus.

24. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Either way, he's about due a wage increase. He's a starter getting paid like he's an academy grad first breaking into the squad.

25. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    I'd like to know why he didn't get a pay raise (or a greater pay raise) when Juventus decided to complete the purchase of him after his performances last year. Seems to me Wes' agent did a poor job negotiating that (upfront when he was still on books with Schalke?)

I could understand if there was some doubt once he arrived (and he was on a certain wage at the beginning), but once he 'proved' himself last season- became a mostly-starter....something in his contract should have scaled his pay much higher than this (current)