Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was pretty annoyed that first he wasn't able to catch Kovacic, second Kovacic was able to keep separation from Wes when he was trying to grab him, and third because he wasn't able to do the first two. He didn't make the tactical foul to stop the counter and take the yellow card.

last year he ran down Duvan Zapata, completed a sick slide tackle and retained the ball. It is a little bit apples to oranges but I expected him to stop Kovacic one way or another.

Gacm32, adi21 and Winoman repped this.
  2. kumuyc

kumuyc Member

Nov 7, 2016
    For those that didn't watch the game, this is the play in question.
    To be fair to McKennie, Locatelli had a pretty dumb play few minutes earlier as well.

Gacm32, mace, usnroach and 1 other person repped this.
  3. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Kovacic is not "fast" but, he is great with the ball at his feet. Kovacic has a lot of successful take ons so he gets past a lot of guys.

Gacm32 repped this.
  4. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wondering if I missed a play. I remember this one. two minutes to go in extra time and you want him to go to the flag? He saw an opening for a pass and he took it. the timing of the pass was off and got intercepted in the opponent's own third. Give me a break, what he did was not a wreckless dangerous pass.

5. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I have to say I was expecting something quite different, more of a crossfield pass that led immediately/directly to a dangerous counter. The pass itself was pretty bad, but it wasn't a horrible decision - his teammate was open, the pass was there.

6. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    True, but if you fancy yourself as a Juventus-quality midfielder who counts as his strengths speed, closing players down, defensive acumen, and the like, then I think you have to do more on that play.

usnroach repped this.
  7. markandrew78

markandrew78 Member

Jun 10, 2007
    I absolutely want him to go to the flag. This allows the defense to reset or catch their breath. Also, if you run towards the flag and are able to retain possession by having Chelsea kick the ball out of bounds or even win a corner kick, the game is over at that point. I’m sure 99% of coaches would ask him to do the same thing.

usnroach repped this.
  8. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is my point, you have a chance to score with a passing lane inside your opponent's 18, you have to take it unless you are talking less than a minute to play. Two minutes of playing time is a lot of time.
    Juve's defense better be set when the ball is the opponent's third.

9. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's a weird one to complain about. Chelsea recovers the ball a couple yards away from where the corner is anyway, so this is a fairly safe part of the field.

majspike repped this.
  10. jmplautz

jmplautz Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Madison
    The pass was a solid decision. The execution was terrible.

Your final sentence is the key one. A team going essentially the full length of the field is on the defense.

11. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't a bad decision, just the wrong decision if that makes sense. For me, when they go over the film as a team, I'm almost positive that the feedback isn't going to be "nice idea, bad execution." I would bet that Allegri/staff is going to insist that he goes to the corner.

It is about the 3 points at that point, not a great pass to Cuadrado and then hoping he is able to create a goal scoring opportunity afterwards.

12. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Weston is playing as poorly as I've ever seen him. Hope he snaps out of it.

Gacm32 and markandrew78 repped this.
  13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
  14. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know so much if that was dumb but it was just a terrible pass way behind the target. Unfocused looking. He used to have at least one play like this a game back in the Schalke days. Lack of concentration.

15. kumuyc

kumuyc Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Well, for what it's worth, Cuadrado thought it necessitated him stopping the play by intentionally fouling Chilwell immediately and got yellow card for it.

16. chrisdon72

chrisdon72 Member

Feb 23, 2000
    He'd also played the full match while Wes had just subbed on. To get beat for pace in that situation just looks bad.

17. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder if Wes has any long term Covid effects from last spring?

18. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Thanks. From the commentary here I thought he gave it away at midfield. Yeah, maybe he should've time wasted, and it wasn't a good pass, but he gave it away 90 yards from his goal. BS gonna BS though.

adi21 and bballshawn repped this.
  19. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Would you guys be freaking out if Luka Modric got past him? Kovacic is one of the most skillful midfielders in the World he does that to a lot of players.

20. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He hasn't been the same guy for what seems like the entire calendar year. Whether it was those nagging injuries he played through in Feb/March/April or the last window or getting kicked around by Allegri as Juve have been crap, he's not in a good place right now it seems. Just hope he can figure it out.

russ and Winoman repped this.
  21. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one is doubting Mateo's ability and what he can do with the ball. For me, it wasn't an "ability/skillful" thing. He just showed more determination, which is alarming to me. It is not as if Kovacic dribbled him, Wes couldn't get ahead of him in a foot race with the ball and was unable to stop the counter.

Winoman repped this.
  22. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Certainly wasn't a criminal pass - but kind of a microcosm of WM right now: disappointing. Hard to be focused and sharp on the field when you aren't focused off. Hoping he turns things around soon.

Dante and usnroach repped this.
  23. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    I wouldn't call it freaking out, just making note of a play he could have done better on.

Freaking out is when I made the claim a few months ago that Cade Cowell would be bought by ManU for more than Bryan Reynolds. No one called me out on it though.

Ironbound and usnroach repped this.
  24. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    Damn! So... uhh... which thread did you make that claim in? Asking for a friend.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    IME people with chubby cheeks expand rapidly after 25.