Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Juve are paying his salary...:coffee: With that said, I sure hope for Juve and the USMNT that he is healthy for the rest of the season as well as the gold cup this summer, he brings so much to both of those teams.

ardubois3 and madvillain repped this.
  2. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Did you see how excited De Ligt was when McKennie scored? I couldn't quite capture the full emotion in a single frame, but I did my best:

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 3.27.29 PM.png

3. Gotberg

Gotberg Member

Nov 14, 2002
    Chicago
    Isn't that Ramsey?

4. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... he also appeared to yell at him twice towards the end of the game. Perhaps some animosity there... but I always think it is a poor look when teammates rag on each other too much during a game. Save it for the locker room. Wes is giving it his all for Juve and even his coach admits he is playing thru pain. He scores, has several key passes/steals and you are up 3-0 w/ 10 minutes to go and you are calling out Wes for positioning? Seems over the top.

5. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was his best game in a couple weeks, even outside of the goal. And it was as a box to box midfielder, not that hybrid advanced role he often plays for them. Just really good across the board.

He was a defensive nightmare, scored, should have scored again, beautiful through ball that CR7 could have finished his hat trick on, won a number of second balls, and otherwise tidy and neat in the central midfield. Love it.

Gacm32, glutton4Bolts and madvillain repped this.
  6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I was one who had questions about Wes' ability to move up into a more technical team/coach but he's done a really good job. They still feature his "athleticism" but he has quietly kept the rest of his game up to Juve level as well. He's really played this about as well as anyone could wish. Full credit.

KenC and madvillain repped this.
  7. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed Danilo yelling at him as well. I think they wanted him to come for the ball when they were under pressure and he didn't really make a definitive move. That's one thing I think he needs to work on. His off the ball movement in the Juve defensive half isn't good. He could do better in showing for the ball and providing an outlet. I get a sense sometimes he doesn't want the ball in tight spaces. I've noticed it all season.

8. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    I don't think Pirlo wants him doing that. That's Arthur or (in theory) Bentancur's job. Weston is capable of that, but he's better in the more advanced positions for various reasons. I believe the first two games Weston played as more of a central holding mid and it didn't work at all. Then Pirlo moved him into the attacking wide mid / run the ******** around role that's been working pretty well.

@usnroach What is your definition of a successful season at this point? Probably Italian Cup title and UCL qualification right? The Porto match is a bonus? I would think that's a fair start to Pirlo's career, although losing the Scudetto after 10 in a row stings a bit. Serie A is no joke this year tho, lotta good teams and players.

glutton4Bolts repped this.
  9. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Danilo complained because he didn't put the pass where he wanted it and he slipped trying to get to it. He was also being pressured by two players and only had a tight window to pass in. But IMO his spacing has been fine because he is NOT playing CDM. Also... I think he has been close to fantastic at passing in tight spaces this season after the first couple of games (in which he was playing CDM). Just my $.02.

10. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word. You beat me to it.

11. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Danilo was trash for large stretches of the game and was pinging passes into Juve's version of the left field bleachers quite often, so he can look in the mirror.

But I don't take anything from it other than Juve have high standards for each other and rightfully so. I like Juve, it seems a class place honestly, regardless of the product on the field's quality, which from what I can tell even in a "down" year is pretty good.

usnroach and Magikfute repped this.
  12. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point and you're correct about Danilo. One thing I'll point out on that play and see if you notice it the next game. Wes quickly passed it back Danilo when he needed to take a touch or two instead and then release the pass. When he gets the ball in his defensive half he almost immediately tries to one touch it away. It's almost like he doesn't want it and his off the ball movement always seems tentative. Like if you watch him he doesn't try to lose his marker or move to an open space. Again I only really notice that in the Juve half off the field, he plays differently when attacking. See if you pick up on it in the next match.

usnroach and justinpaul10 repped this.
  13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That's something I've also noticed when he's played with the NT.

Weston is the type who always seems to give his 100%.

14. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Maybe? Not a Juve fan. I was at work, and was looking away when the goal was scored. As I looped that 10 seconds, the commentator was saying "De Ligt really wanted it" or something like that, so I assumed it was him. But he was about as pissed as I've ever seen a player be when his team scored.

15. Freddie Adu

Freddie Adu Member

Mar 6, 2003
    NYC
  16. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    This was a big game for wes because he started in a traditional box to box role. As opposed to the hybrid role. And it was great that he played it well. I hope he gets some games alongside Arthur when he comes back.

That's also the reason why he had to get back and show himself more to the CBs and goalies when playing out the back. He absolutely has to work on finding the ball more in those situations. It's one of his remaining weaknesses caused by playing any dour schalke

Gacm32, Winoman, usnroach and 4 others repped this.
  17. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    1363972984982110214 is not a valid tweet id

Gacm32, wsmaugham, mace and 6 others repped this.
  18. IIIwitnessIII

IIIwitnessIII Member

May 19, 2006
    You people are so soft. Taking screen shots of players for not celebrating a goal to go 3-0 up, analyzing different times players showed frustration towards Wes, just stop.

Ronaldo hit a shitty free kick in the first half that hit Wes and he screamed at Wes twice for not getting out of the way lol.

Shit happens. Wes is a big boy, he can handle it.

ChicagoVT, Gacm32, usnroach and 4 others repped this.
  19. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
    During the game, I thought De Ligt was complaining that the defender had hit the ball with his arm.

ChicagoVT and russ repped this.
  20. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    That kind of attitude is what's delivered 7 straight titles for Juventus, as well as God only knows how many straight seasons in the elimination rounds of the CL. Thinking it's over the top get you Roma.

Back in the 80s, Johan Cruyff's Ajax were 3-0 up at half-time, and ran out 4-0 winners. Cruyff responded by tearing into them in the dressing room, fining the entire squad for "insufficient competitive spirit" and, for good measure, dropped four players - goalscorers included - for the next game.

usnroach and madvillain repped this.
  21. Gotberg

Gotberg Member

Nov 14, 2002
    Chicago
    You were correct, it was De Ligt. They seem to be good friends via social media, so I wouldn't read too much into it.

22. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex

Wes maps are the best maps.

[​IMG]

23. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A successful season at this point is winning the scudetto and coppa Italia and CL semi-finals. I would be content with a trophy and CL semi-finalists. No trophy and out against Porto is obviously a non-starter and Pirlo would be gone.

I think the most realistic outcome is Coppa Italia Champion, CL quarter-finalists, and second in the league. I think most Juventini will be upset about losing out on the 10th scudetti in a row, and I would be one of them. It has to happen at some point, I would just hate to have that happen with inter being the ones to do it. With the most realistic outcome, It is hard to call it a successful season when Juve have won 9 in a row regardless of a new manager and lowering the average age of the squad. That isn't how the organization is run and what makes Juve the most successful team in Italy and one of the top 10 in the world.

KenC and madvillain repped this.
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team of the Week:

1364247965133635587 is not a valid tweet id

ChicagoVT, KenC, wsmaugham and 5 others repped this.
  25. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too many posts to quote IRT the de Ligt thing and Wes being yelled at but this is my thoughts as a USMNT and Juventus fan. de Ligt ended up doing a fist pump after the above screen shot signaling he was happy about the goal, I believe he just wish he would have been the one to score. Any more reading into that is wrong, IMO. After watching every game and every single piece of content the Juve media team has released, I don't think there is anyone that doesn't like Wes maybe frustration of a player losing their spot to him (which is extremely normal, I think most people would be upset if a new and younger player comes in and takes your spot).

As for him getting yelled at for making the wrong decision or not being in the right place, I don't know what to tell you. A lot is expected of Juventus players (now more than ever), and I have no issue with Danilo complaining about Wes playing the ball behind him or MdL giving Wes an ear full about proper positioning to help keep the teams shape. It won't be long before Wes is doing the same and I 100% believe that it will be expected of him as he becomes more comfortable with the language and system.

ardubois3, DMTerp02, KenC and 8 others repped this.