Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were rumors weeks ago that Juve was going to make the loan move permanent as soon as the transfer window opened. Why delay this ?

dougtee repped this.
  2. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    You say this as though that is a problem. The reason Weston was able to score the goal as easily as he did is because a guy named Ronaldo was trying to decide between the back post and the top of the 18.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    4.5 months after he joined and to think some folks thought he wasn't good enough for Southampton. It's a shame as I would have hoped he stayed at Schalke and had the team built around him. I'm so glad to have been so wrong. He really makes Serie A fun to watch.

4. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    They actually won’t have a choice at this pace. He’s on a % of mins clause and he’s way over.

5. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
    Why pay 20+mm euros now, when you can pay it later?

6. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really is an underrated league (right now). Admittedly, Serie A was in a bit of a rut for a few years and still have massive problems with old and decrepit stadiums. Teams are starting to give youngsters more of a chance and the culture is becoming less defensive and more attacking.

All to say, I can't wait for fans to get back into the stadiums to complete the experience. Would have loved to see San Siro packed last night or Allianz Stadium next Sunday against Inter, gives me chills.

Last summer, I went on my honeymoon to Italy and one of our stops was Florence and I was lucky enough to see the Fiorentina - Juventus match. Although the game was quite disjointed and lacked a lot of quality on the day, it was an unreal experience. The hate that the fans of Florence have for Juventus filled me with pride. My wife asked why I wasn't wearing any Juventus gear and I tried to explain why I couldn't and she didn't understand until we were walking to the stadium. For such an unremarkable game (playing quality wise) it was one of the best experiences of my life. If only I understood Italian...

I completely understand that people will probably have that same type of experience, even if it is on a cold night in Stoke. European nights at Anfield, Old Trafford, the Ibrox, Bernabeu, etc.

Apologies, bringing it back to Wes, I dream of the day that I am at the Allianz Stadium and Wes scores the winner against Inter and just to hear an Americans name being called out at my favorite club.

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Very touching and well said :thumbsup:

8. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why I love the sport. Thanks for sharing.

ChicagoVT, Deeneaus, madvillain and 2 others repped this.
  9. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Yup very entertaining to watch him and Juve. They’re playing much better football compared to the beg. of the season when it felt like: “let’s try to make perfect passes so we can all run less.”

I do look forward to his games more than I do CPs, Reyna’s, or Adam’s. Maybe it’s because Chelsea and BVB haven’t been playing as well and Adams keeps playing at RB where we’re loaded.

madvillain repped this.
  10. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the loan deal is until June with an option to buy, no need to put his transfer fee on this seasons balance sheet when it could be on next seasons. They have a contract that will make sure that he's with the club the entire loan period so no worries about him going anywhere. It's all about balancing the books.

11. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    The top of the Serie A table (Milan, Inter, Roma, Juve) is beginning to resemble the Serie A I remember from a decade or two ago.

Top 4 in the 2001-02 season was Juve, Roma, Inter, AC Milan.
    In 2002-03: Juve, Inter, AC Milan, Lazio.
    In 2003-04 : AC Milan, Roma, Juve, Inter.
    In 2004-05: Juve, AC Milan, Inter, Udinese.
    In 2005-06: Juve, Inter, Roma, AC Milan.
    [Then Juve were stripped of their titles and relegated.]
    In 2006-07: Inter, Roma, Lazio, AC Milan
    In 2007-08: Inter, Roma, Juve, Fiorentina
    In 2008-09: Inter, Juve, AC Milan, Fiorentina
    In 2009-10: Inter, Roma, AC Milan, Sampdoria

Basically the top 4 almost always included Juve, Inter, and AC Milan, and more often than not included Roma.

However, AC Milan have spent a solid majority of the past decade outside of the top 4; while Inter and Roma have spent half of the last decade seasons outside of the top 4.

12. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    1347245829069959170 is not a valid tweet id

ChicagoVT, orcrist, twoolley and 2 others repped this.
  13. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Because cashflow management is an essential part of running a business.

Take some courses in it. It'll help your career, whatever you do for a living.

14. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    A man who truly understands football.

I salute you sir.

15. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Speak of cashflow, you think Schalke is happy or pissed?

@goalteca
    ·
    Three Americans have made the
    @CIES_Football
    biannual transfer value list: 46. Giovanni Reyna - €78.9 million 61. Christian Pulisic - €69.8 million 95. Weston McKennie - €54.2 million

You'll never go broke buying for a dollar and selling for two, but in this case their dollar is now worth about double what they sold it for only a few months ago.

16. Gotberg

Gotberg Member

Nov 14, 2002
    Chicago
    Weston wouldn't be worth this without being at juventus. Win - win.

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I still don't get the betting woes of the early/mid 00s in Serie A. Why was Juventus relegated after all?

18. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    This is called spending cheap money.

KenC repped this.
  19. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm an old fart. Years ago, I spent a summer working in Munich, then bicycled to Paris. After some time enjoying that city, I took the train to London for 10 days before flying home. There, I was able to see an early season game between Spurs and the Hammers. Bitter rivalry, not that I knew it at the time. Great fun and experience standing in the, yes, stands. There were no seats in most of the old wooden stadium. Each team had some great players who were world cup winners in 1966. West Ham had Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters, while Spurs had Jimmy Greaves.

Well, because of some obligation or other, had to leave about 15 min early. Then next AM, I read in the paper that there had been a riot outside the stadium with cars burned and many mounted police brought in to break it all up. Yes, great time in a great game, but I'm quite happy that the wooden stadia are pretty much gone, as is most of the misbehavior.

ChicagoVT, eliwood, TarHeels17 and 7 others repped this.
  20. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Off the charts good....while acclimating to a new team....

shout out to all the people who thought he wasnt good enough for Juve hahahahaha

21. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The stats also match up nicely with the eye test. And I think he can still reach another level!

22. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    and to think that he is doing all that with poor tactical awareness! Amazing.

23. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Schalke? Beggars can't be choosers.

They're broke, with creditors demanding payment right and left, and the BL has some very strong powers for acting against clubs whose finances are not in order. They're rigourously enforced.

If you've had your hours cut and your wife's lost her job, you're going to sell the $15k BMW for $12k to make the mortgage payments and turn your kid's Ford Focus into the family car. Otherwise the repo man will take possession and sell it for $9k, minus fees. If the buyer makes some upgrades and the car is sold for $25k, that's your problem.

ChicagoVT, adam tash, usnroach and 3 others repped this.
  24. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, to put it another way, it's 100% Schalke's fault that they were unable to put Wes in a position to grow and succeed like this. Good players still need to be a on good teams- it's a team game.

ChicagoVT, majspike, wsmaugham and 2 others repped this.
  25. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Wes grew immensely at Schalke. That's how he got to Juve.