Southsiders Celebrate Caps New Logo on June 8!

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by Johnnie Monster, May 31, 2010.

1. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Well at least it's better than what they have had since 2001.

2. Darth Vegas

Darth Vegas New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Columbia City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It's unique in NA sports, it stands out from the beveled fake 3d angry animal landscape and fits very well with sort of the Vancouver aesthetic, the clean simple lines and all. Very classy. I could see it growing on people and standing the test of time.

3. Ted Lyons

Ted Lyons Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Tucson, Arizona
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what it's worth, I like it.

4. MrVancouver

MrVancouver Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Absolutely Love the new logo, have you guys seen the launch video for it?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAXomFcoPlY"]YouTube- Brand Launch Video[/ame]

5. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like the new 'Caps logo. I like how they incorporated the mountains into the "whitecap" theme. Simple, classy, very nice overall. I kind agree about the lack of actual "whitecaps" on the mountains is annoying, but it's still very nice. I think the idea floated a few posts back would work, but more like this:

[​IMG]

Congrats guys! I wish a certain oval shaped logo was still in MLS so I could see my team play the 'Caps in their sharp new look live and in person after this year :(

1 person likes this.
  6. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    [​IMG]

since the old link broke

7. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Krammerhead,

Any idea when the team is going to reveal their new MLS kits?

8. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    after i did the straight across "cap" i thought it would look better and fit the design better as an inverted diamond but was too lazy to redo my redo. great minds think alike. i think yours is perfect. it is really how they should have gone. not a big change but an important one. maybe they will adjust it, doubtful but you never know. maybe they'll see it and think, "oh, damn yeah we totally should have actually put a white cap on one of the mountains in our whitecaps logo."

9. Johnnie Monster

Jul 9, 2005
    Richmond, BC
    New kits revealed within a few weeks, but not available for sale until November due to Adidas' production cycle.

10. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    got to say, I love it. great addition to the league. WAY better than Seattles logo which still hasnt really grown on me.

11. Scadzz

Scadzz Member

Apr 2, 2006
    f=956
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I came over to say congrats on a great new logo but after seeing this 'redo' with the actual white cap I can't even look at the one presented today without thinking it is seriously lacking.

This one looks so much better, maybe if a large enough group of fans present this to your FO the change can be made because I feel (Yes, I know...who am I anyway? I'll go to my own board in a minute) that the subtle change makes all the difference in the world.

12. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    [​IMG]

This represents a simple, but - to my mind - absolutely necessary difference in the effectiveness of the brand/logo/badge. Upon seeing this, I immediately went from thinking, "Meh... they missed the mark," to "Simple, classy, effective branding." It is the difference between a series of three, random diamonds and a simplistic rendering of a mountain.

13. leftcoastkicks

Aug 20, 2009
    Vancouver, BC
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Nope, couldn't disagree more. Subtlety is better. We get that the diamonds represent mountains and water, but they're also diamonds, beautiful in their own right. Adding snow makes this logo look second division and second class at best. Keep it simple/clean.

14. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i am glad that the person who did this took my "the central mountain needs to have a whitecap" and my tweaked logo that had a straight cap and did it even better with the inverse diamond whitecap.

personally i think if the people involved in the VWC front office could go back a week and see this and their own and choose they would pick the slightly altered one. but having said that there is almost no hope that they will change it now no matter how much better and more impactful just this little change makes. it would be admitting they were wrong about something and made a mistake and i am pretty sure that new teams and branding don't want to be seen to have made a misstep (even if not changing slightly to make it a ton better would be a bigger misstep) right off the bat.

now unless somebody knows Lendruzzi personally and can make an appeal or the southsiders and whitecaps fans can start a petition to make the slight alteration i am afraid the new logo will be "good but it seems to be just missing something", instead of one of if not the best in MLS.

15. whiteymirbowl

whiteymirbowl Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Kamloops, BC
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I am not possitive, and havent really checked around much to see if someone else mentioned this, but i believe that 3 diamonds were to resemble the 'three sisters' which are three close peaks in the north shore mountains somewhere. I think

16. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    Ah, well... to each their own.

17. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does the Three Sisters Range have any meaning to Vancouver? It seems like a relatively obscure range far closer to the Alaskan and Yukon borders. If I tried attaching a meaning to the three peaks it would be for the three incarnations of the Whitecaps. Just my opinion.

18. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    People are reading way too much into this. What I have seen, gleaned, and physically heard from Caps staffers, is the following:
    The Peaks are a simple reflection to our Skyline
    The reflection is supposed to be reflective of the coastline
    The WV in the reflection might have been on purpose or might have been an accidental thing that works out great, I would think it was on purpose if I was guessing...

The name and meaning of the name, and where it came from, was talked about during the release.

19. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. BacteriaEP

BacteriaEP New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good looking crest. I can't speak for the Vancouver fans, but to me it seems clean, effective, and, most importantly (coming from what your crest WAS), classy.

I honestly hope the Timbers FO gives us something equally as good on Saturday, despite my wishing they'd just leave it be since it's perfect right now. Oh well...

See you guys next season... oh wait I think we still gotta whomp you guys once more this season. :p

21. netsan

netsan Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Toronto
    Clean and simple... Looks good close up and from afar. This will look like a diamond on a jersey. I wouldn't add any "snow" on the mountain. It will make it too busy.... The entire logo is built from the letter V, which yields the letter W.

How perfect to have V W on the bottom?

It's cool for sure... Thank god there's not a soccer ball in sight!

22. Capt.Tsubasa

Capt.Tsubasa Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Congrats!

Congratulations Vancouver, you really got yourself an awesome new crest!!! Kept your name, kept your colors, got rid of the cartoony toy logo you had before, and replaced it with a subtle, timeless and iconic new crest with a really unique shape. I really like the simplicity of it!! Looks great on the merch they put out, and makes it easy for supporters to reproduce it for flags etc.

And for those who are bothered with the font, I could see them have a secondary logo looking like this:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.