Southsiders Celebrate Caps New Logo on June 8!

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by Johnnie Monster, May 31, 2010.

1. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Here it is. [​IMG]

2. Hushx

Hushx Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Whitecaps fans, just saw the triangles - if you guys have uniforms which have an argyle pattern to it, such as so:

[​IMG]

I think it could work well.

3. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    They could have done better.

4. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  5. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sorry, I really don't like this. I'm trying my best but I'd be lying. This was the time to really come out with a good brand and they didn't pull it off in my opinion. A standard shield or circular logo would have been much better. Alas, it is what it is though and at least the name stayed.

6. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

ok. i vote for this. if you are going to accidentally make your logo look all symmetrical and dimaondy you could save it by having the fist argyle kits in MLS ... or maybe anywhere .. that would rock.

7. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Trust me when i tell that Seattle fans didn't like their logo at first.

8. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I like it, itsa different.

The most important things are the name and colours stayed the same.

9. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yea. I like it as well.

10. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    ok. a few things.

A. it looks waaaaaay better when the dark blue colour is part of the logo, ie on a white background, and not lost by being on an identically coloured dark blue background.

B. the font is a very clean and crisp look. a vast improvement over the current font.

C. if you are going to "change" the whitecaps iconography from "waves" to "mountains" (both of which apply to the term "whitecaps") then you HAVE to put an actual white cap on at least the central mountain. i mean that is just basic. not too much but perhaps an cm down solid white to the tip. just the central mountain.

D. i still think that part of the issue is that the exact symetry of the "reflection" throws the thing off a bit and makes it look "boring". not sure what could have been done. the more you see the bottom is light blue the better it makes it. perhaps the bottom colour needed to be a bit "brighter" to stand out more. still light/sky blue but perhaps a bit more vibrant or vivid or rich.

E. if they can tie in an argyle pattern to their unis and other gear, like celtic being known for their hoops or czech republic being known for their chequerboard pattern this might make the whole thing better.

11. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The diamond shape is cool. There are precedents

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the blue lightened up if the crest is any indication. You aren't going to be the white and navy blue any longer, but more along the lines of Manchester City's white and sky blue, but then I missed the presser, so they could have clarified that.

13. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The darker blue seems to have gotten darker from what I see. But I agree, maybe Man City blue and white will be prominent, too.

I was looking at Telus' logo, and they better go white (and blue, conversely) with that (if they are the sponsor). Purple and green won't be seen well on the darker blue.

Speaking of which, I was late to the UStream event. The kits weren't addressed, were they?

14. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The Caps have always been Light blue, Dark Royal Blue and White.

15. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually like it.

It is different, and stands out from the rest of the league's badges/crests. It takes on a shape/pattern not already done. The slight palatte change is much better in my opinion.

and wouldn't the white "mountains" on top of the lettering be the whitecap ? Seems so to me.

16. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would have preferred something like this instead.

[​IMG]

17. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think the interlocking diamonds look is a neat idea, and the font is good. The colours are good, and most importantly they kept the name.

I guess I am disappointed they didn't go either darker or lighter with the main blue, and that the logo is not shield style, and that the logo is quite dull. Just a bit more punch would have been nice, but again, interlocking diamonds is neat iconography.

My buddy Rob was walking by my dorm so I had him look at it (he knows nothing about the Whitecaps or soccer) and he thought it looked great. So I guess if it appeals to non-soccer fans, that's helpful.

Two big plusses:

1. IT COULD HAVE BEEN A LOT WORSE!

2. IT IS VERY UNIQUE and will help the Caps make an international brand.

18. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you think about it, the mountains and reflections are an overlapping V and W...

19. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You don't really have to think about it, the interlocking VW was intentional. =)

20. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I know.. :) Just multi-tasking so didn't finish the thought with "which is pretty cool". I'm still not overly excited about the crest, but I don't have to be.

21. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it it is clean and symbolic. I actually immediately thought of Werder Bremen which is of course just a single diamond, but I like the overlapping diamond look.

22. Johnnie Monster

Jul 9, 2005
    Richmond, BC
    I'm just back from the presser...

My first impression was.... whoa, hey, whaaaa?

5 mins later it had really grown on me.

From a tifo perspective, this is fantastic. the VW mountains / reflections will be very easy to replicate on banners and signage, which will encourage more people to take a crack at it.

Imagine this:

It's opening night at Empire.... and a massive set of mountains rises out over the Southside... and the wavy reflection scatters out underneath.

This will be sharp as hell!

23. SounderJunction

SounderJunction New Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Section 127
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this a lot! Congrats guys, on your logo. I initially was reminded of Borussia Mönchengladbach and, as someone else mentioned, Werder Bremen. The VW in the reflection makes it that much better.

See you on the pitch next year!

24. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Johnnie

Excellent point about the simplicity. A logo that is easily recreated is usually a very good thing for fans. I think logos should be viewed the same as flags, you want your banner to be instantly identifiable, and easily recreated. I think this hits the mark very well. I love my Sounders and our badge is fine, but I am a tad envious of the Whitecaps new badge.

25. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

like i said in the other thread i guess you could be right. it never occurred to me tho, with the reflection they just look like whole mountains to me. i wonder if most others think the same thing at first. seems to be the most common reaction.

this is more what i thought might make the difference:

[​IMG]

to me, even tho it is a very small and subtle change, says "whitecaps" even more clearly ... and it breaks up any potential monotony from the "mountains" being exactly symmetrical to the reflection.