Southsiders Celebrate Caps New Logo on June 8!

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by Johnnie Monster, May 31, 2010.

1. Johnnie Monster

Jul 9, 2005
    Richmond, BC
    NEWSFLASH: The Vancouver Whitecaps are unveiling their new MLS name, logo and colours on the morning of June 8.

To celebrate this historic day, the Southsiders will be hosting a very special event later in the evening at one of our partner venues in downtown Vancouver. There will be guest speakers, video presentations, a ton of prizes and much, much more!

It will also be the FIRST EVER opportunity to purchase Vancouver MLS scarves, t-shirts and other merchandise featuring the club's new logo!

Two pairs of tickets will also be up for grabs to take part in a special Whitecaps bus trip to Seattle to watch the Sounders play DC United at Qwest Field on June 10.

Visit and join the Vancouver Southsiders Facebook group for additional info later today. All are welcome to attend.

2. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    Can't wait to see what it is. I expect it to be nothing but class, coming from the Whitecaps organization.

What are the chances the Iron Shiek will come here and say "I knew it all along?"

3. Darth Vegas

Darth Vegas New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Columbia City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    100% ish.

New name? did I read that right? Is it going to be something along the lines of subtracting an FC, changing it BC Whitecaps or what? The would not change the name Whitecaps would they?

4. Johnnie Monster

Jul 9, 2005
    Richmond, BC
    I'm sure it will be a variation of Whitecaps... but the current "Vancouver Whitecaps FC" has all sorts of ties to USL / PDL / W League.

It will be the same deal as what happened in Seattle. Old name in a new light, etc.

5. TheIronShiek

TheIronShiek New Member

May 31, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I am not allowed to post things before they become public anymore. So, I will just say it is great this is announced and looking forward to it.

6. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

If they rename the club the "BC" Whitecaps they can go f**k themselves.

7. Johnnie Monster

Jul 9, 2005
    Richmond, BC
    That means YOU, Bella Coola! And go stick it, Invermere! :D

You're quite right though. It's VANCOUVER's team. We don't need to pander outside the region.

8. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I recall reading an article stating they will keep the whitecaps name so it probably be a different variation.

Currently the name for the team is Vancouver MLS. So Whitecaps would be a new name for the team anyways.

9. leftcoastkicks

Aug 20, 2009
    Vancouver, BC
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That's all you can say with any authority. Thanks for playing Shiek. Game Over. :p

10. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008

it aint over until the fat lady sings!! he may be side-lined for awhile

at least he kept the interest flowing and sometimes had a new view to things-- not saying he was always right, but he did keep the talk going

and it concerns me that people get sooo narrow in their scope of vision that true discussion does not take place or is watered down or in BIG SOCCER"S case-- eliminate the source because it rankles a few people

it always dangerous when groups must all be the same way, thing the same, chant the same, drink the same, sing the same-- or be an outcast, not a true supporter, just a fan as some1 recently said--

its soccer version of church, always a dangerous thing IMO

11. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think Telus is our shirt sponsor. There's a countdown clock on their website saying - Unleashing on June 8.

http://www.telus.com/

12. Johnnie Monster

Jul 9, 2005
    Richmond, BC
    As someone on the Southsiders board pointed out, the countdown clock lands in the middle of the night June 8. Tech blogs are also saying this has to do with some new HTC smart phone.

13. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ohhhh.....just checked that out. It looks like they will be launching the HTC Desire/Triumph that day.

I'd rather see an entertainment company sponsor anyway, although money is money!

14. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great! Sooner the better. Not to much longer guys, see you in Houston.

15. Johnnie Monster

Jul 9, 2005
    Richmond, BC
    For Immediate Release
    June 4, 2010

MONUMENTAL CHANGE COMING TO VANCOUVER'S SPORTING LANDSCAPE
    Southsiders leading the charge as Major League Soccer prepares to take the city by storm

VANCOUVER - As billions of soccer fans across the globe obsess over every precious second of the 2010 FIFA World Cup this summer, the Vancouver Southsiders are hoping to unleash an epidemic of "football fever" right here at home.

"Vancouver is about to be blindsided by a massive cultural change of unbelievable proportions," said John Knox, president of the Vancouver Southsiders, a growing supporters club which has been rooting for the Whitecaps (formerly the 86ers) since 1999.

"When we look at what has happened in Toronto and Seattle, it's abundantly clear that the arrival of Major League Soccer next year is going to spark incredible changes in our city. For years soccer has played third fiddle to the Canucks and Lions, and we've been conditioned to sit quietly in our seats clapping along to a pipe organ or a jumbotron. In 2011, it all changes. Vancouver will evolve from a city of fans, to a city of supporters."

Toronto joined the MLS in 2007, and routinely sells out the 22,000 seat BMO Field stadium. It has a season ticket holder base of 16,000 and a waiting list of an additional 14,000. Seattle's MLS club started play in 2009 and draws an average of more than 29,000 per match at Qwest Field.

Knox said Seattle's numbers are particularly encouraging, because more than 30 years of attendance data proves Vancouver generally outdraws the Emerald City when they field teams in the same league.

"If you walk into a pub in Seattle, their customers are all wearing bright green Sounders jerseys and you'll see soccer highlights on the TV sets instead of the Mariners game. In Toronto, red supporters scarves are becoming more common than Maple Leaf jerseys. These cities have come alive through top flight professional soccer, and the teams have become incredibly significant parts of their community identities. As lifelong soccer fans, the Southsiders are drooling at the prospect of this kind of change coming here. It's a dream come true for us."

Vancouver Whitecaps FC are unveiling their new club logo at 8:30 a.m. PT on Tuesday, June 8 – watch live online at vancouvermls2011.com/announcement. To celebrate this historic day, the Southsiders will be hosting a very special event later in the evening at Cinema Public House (901 Granville) to formally kick off their MLS membership campaign.

"Prior to entering Major League Soccer, Seattle and Toronto fielded teams in the league Vancouver presently plays in, and their supporters groups were comprised of a few dozen really dedicated guys," Knox said. "Since moving up to the proverbial 'big league' those groups now number in the thousands. We want to be in the thick of things when the same movement takes off in Vancouver."

Knox said the Vancouver Southsiders celebration at Cinema will be Vancouver's first-ever opportunity for fans to purchase Vancouver MLS merchandise featuring the new logo. Items for sale will include team scarves, T-shirts, hoodies and other apparel.

Also on hand for the evening:

- a Q & A session with Whitecaps FC CEO Paul Barber. Mr. Barber is the former executive director of Tottenham Hotspur, and former director of marketing and communications at the English Football Association. His transfer to Vancouver sparked international headlines, and he will be answering questions about his plans to turn Whitecaps FC into a globally recognized and respected soccer club.

- a few words from Whitecaps head coach Teitur Thordarson. The Icelandic tactician will share his thoughts on how supporters groups like the Southsiders actually do make a difference for the players on the pitch. Some Whitecaps players will also be in attendance.

- a presentation of some cheeky viral videos courtesy of the Vancouver Southsiders

- the Southsiders will be holding a raffle for a massive pile of prizes, including Vancouver MLS-branded merchandise and tickets for the special Whitecaps bus trip to watch the Seattle Sounders play DC United at Qwest Field on June 10.

Anyone interested in joining the Vancouver Southsiders are encouraged to visit their website at www.vancouversouthsiders.ca or seek out the official Vancouver Southsiders Facebook group.

- 30 -

16. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I watched the match on tv and during halftime the Shaw girl asked Lenarduzzi if he could give a hint to what the logo will look like and he hinted that there will be water and mountains in it.

17. TheIronShiek

TheIronShiek New Member

May 31, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    water and mountains in a Whitecaps logo.. how shocking!:D You really have the inside sources.

18. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, it could be anything regardless of the name right? Hell we don't even know that yet. Those of us not in the know don't have a clue. Frankly, I wouldn't put water and mountains on any football crest unless it's going to be done doing a traditional styled design or at least the original wave crest.
    I'll obviously wait and see first before even commenting if it's going to be good or not, but I can't help feeling a bit pessimistic after hearing that today.

19. TheIronShiek

TheIronShiek New Member

May 31, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    The new logo will be liked by the general audience I suspect; but long time supporters may not like it. We will see how it pans out.

20. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    When Seattle revealed their badge some people didn't really like it at first. The long time supporters will just have to get used to the new logo.

21. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i am still kind of hoping they go with a wave/mountain logo in the Haida native art style ... the Canucks logo and the Olympic medals looked so good why not?

are they really not going to be Vancouver Whitecaps FC? i thought they had already decided to go with that as the name?

22. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    They haven't officially announced the name yet. Right now they are currently called Vancouver MLS.

23. TheIronShiek

TheIronShiek New Member

May 31, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    If they change the name to "Vancouver FC" that would be horrible. I would be stunned beyond belief if they dropped the word Whitecaps.. i consider that almost impossible for them to do something like that.

24. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    Barber doesn't seem like the the type to alienate an entire fan base.

25. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The only way i could see them not using whitecaps if they weren't able to due to not having the rights.