Southern Supporters Group??

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Alabama Soccer, Apr 8, 2009.

1. mls2atl

mls2atl Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, I personally think it looks much cleaner this way!!!

What colors is everyone thinking for the fan group? Black/Blue/Silver? Red/Yellow/Black? any other suggestions?

2. HoopsBhoyInNC

HoopsBhoyInNC New Member

Jul 24, 2007
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I have been told, no red. I think they like the silver/black/blue the best. I have to agree with them.

3. offside33

offside33 Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the other thread, they were talking about black and forest green, though I think forest green is a little to dark. By the way I like it fine with the states in it. For a suggestion, what if you lined the phoenix with gold or some kind of green?

4. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what other thread?

5. offside33

offside33 Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha, that's what I was like on the other thread when someone was talking about this thread. It's in the Atlanta section.:D

6. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. offside33

offside33 Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. HoopsBhoyInNC

HoopsBhoyInNC New Member

Jul 24, 2007
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. eintracht.19

eintracht.19 New Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Toms River, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hahaha. the south

10. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't decide whether this post is funnier because you're from New Jersey, or because you're a MetroStars fan.

11. HoopsBhoyInNC

HoopsBhoyInNC New Member

Jul 24, 2007
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always found this ironic, seeing as how (especially here in North Carolina), you Jersey boys (especially) keep moving down here.

12. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    we need teams in the south!!! :cool:

13. eintracht.19

eintracht.19 New Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Toms River, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in 1950, the population of my town was about 7,000. Today its 95,000. dont complain about people moving in. the people that just moved in next door to me still have north carolina plates

14. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    with the tradition of sports, sp college football in the south, it will be absolutely great to have an mls team somewhere in here, but the thing is, it will take a few more years to get the south ready for some pro soccer.

people in here loves sports but soccer is not there yet.

college sports are everything here and college soccer is not far behind, but an mls team is a different deal, mostly culturally.

i say is better to have a few more pdl teams and usl teams in big cities, then you can move up to mls.

15. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Talk about not having a clue :rolleyes:

16. ChicagoFC (FireClub)

Jan 25, 2009
    Logan Square
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how so?

is it because there are already USL and PDL teams?

because I'd say more USL and PDL support is what's needed, not teams.
    None of the southern teams average more than 5,000 in attendance. I'm not arguing for Minnesota or Cleveland into MLS before Southern teams. I'd just say that without attendance figures rivaling if not exceeding Rochester, MLS would be clueless to take a risk on these southern markets right now.

17. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    I was going on his statement that the South is not ready for pro soccer. Atlanta was a charter member of the NPSL/NASL (and outdrew St. Louis several times, which, in the 60s, was significant), and had teams in the ASL, AISA/NPSL/MISL2, Charlotte had a team in the ASL that was pretty well supported for that time, and both Tampa and Ft. Lauderdale did well in their day. The Mutiny had no owner, and Miami's owner, then and now, did not market the teams. Soccer is here, and has been for some time. If you look at the USL stats, hardly anybody gets over 5,000 (but Charleston hovers around 5,000 just about every year), and only three teams have had consistent averages over 10,000 (and Seattle wasn't one of them). The South is, and has been, ready for pro soccer for some time; all we need is an owner who is willing to take a chance. Heck, Charlotte might not even have to build a stadium, if AL Memorial Stadium could be salvaged. And Atlanta could play in the Dome until a new stadium cold be built, possibly shared with the Falcons (not ideal, but it works for the Sounders).

So, to say that the South is not ready is preposterous. You can't compare USL and MLS attendance, as has been stated ad infintum (and ad nauseum :D). A team in Atlanta or Charlotte may not draw 30,000 like the Sounders, but the crowds would certainly be much, much more than what the USL teams are getting (in Seattle's and Toronto's case, ten times the USL amount).

18. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was Toronto's attendance in the USL?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

19. njndirish

njndirish Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Notre Dame, IN
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm gonna be honest though, I think that set up has changed. Between when Toronto was announced to Portland/Vancouver, it has evolved to where there must be some kind of strong support in both the business and local community aspects.

20. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it has, but his argument was the attendance in the USL was a factor in MLS attendance correct?

I still think if Art Blank calls Dandy Don and says, "I'm building a stadium, I want in - let's talk", then DD says "Sounds pretty good"

21. Killakakam

Killakakam Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to see a team ANYWHERE in the south. If not Atlanta, I would really love to see a Charlotte team, but would support one anywhere (maybe not Miami).

Also, if you are a soccer fan in the south you should check out the Brotherhood of Southern Soccer (BOSS). At the moment we have an Atlanta focus, but this is mostly because the only truly active members are located in ATL. Also, seeing as no southern city has a good bid put together Atlanta seems to be the most likely (this could change and if it does the focus of BOSS may change). We have a focus of but not exclusive to Atlanta.

The Brotherhood is open to all southern soccer lovers. There are more of us than you think! Join the Brotherhood and be active in our forum!

forum: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1400

site: http://www.brotherhoodofsouthernsoccer.com/