Southern Supporters Group??

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Alabama Soccer, Apr 8, 2009.

1. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta does make the most sense. It could draw fans(not necessarily to the games but TV viewers at least) from all over the large MLS void that is south of DC and east of Houston. The support would stop at Central Florida though. Tampa and Miami/Ft. Lauderdale have USL and also still have somewhat realistic hopes of getting at least one of our MLS clubs back sometime in the future(possibly distant, but MLS will at least be back in South Florida at some point). The likelihood of places like Birmingham, Nashville, New Orleans, etc. getting a team isn't very good so it is probable those places could throw their support behind an Atlanta based MLS team.

I hope it happens because MLS is ignoring a HUGE market in the Southern US, and it was foolish to act so hastily with the two Florida clubs when several others were no better at drawing fans*cough*KC, Dallas, SJ*cough*

2. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    I would be for Atlanta and Miami having MLS teams. Tampa too, for that matter. But having a team in just Miami would not cover the Southeast at all, just the lower part of Florida.

3. HeMan

HeMan Member

Jun 5, 2006
    Earth
    There still needs to be a team in Atlanta, Miami, Tampa Bay/Orlando, Nashville, and Carolina.

USL1 would be good for Memphis, Birmingham, and New Orleans.

4. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta and Miami have a decent shot in the near future. Throw in St. Louis and Montréal and those may very well be the next 4 MLS teams. NYC2 is a bit of a wild card there. I'd like Tampa Bay to get their team back too but that's a longs ways off. MLS is probably gonna stick with conference play, so 24 teams is a realistic number maybe 5-10 years down the line. Montréal, St. Louis, Miami/South Florida, Atlanta, NYC2 and Tampa would be a nice way to get to that number.

5. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    No Military-Related names please. That's just stupid.

6. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Member

Nov 30, 2004
    GA Boy in DC
    I agree to a point because I don't believe that any city in the south (FL excluded) other than Atlanta has a chance to get a team. For that reason, I envisioned a southern team that everyone from Mississippi to NC can support similar to the Braves regional following.

InterSouth Atlanta FC!

7. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

8. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay I keep thinking about a name for a Southern Supporters Group even though Im not 100% convinced a Southern MLS team will capture the support of the South. The Battery will be my number one team while they are in existance at whatever level.

But whatever, I keep coming back to name the League of Southern Gentlemen (LSG)

okay go ahead an crucify me now ;)

mikey

9. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    That sounds great. We can meet up at your house and smoke cigars while reading leather bound books in our armchairs!!!!!!!!

Maybe a bit of Whiskey? Not too much though! The wife says we have to be home by 9pm! Don't want to be rowdy!

10. frodoguevara

frodoguevara Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte Eagles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean like the Battery:D Had to get a dig in there sorry.

11. frodoguevara

frodoguevara Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte Eagles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mikey I'm not going to Crucify you , but I will heartly shake your hand, and say that is a great idea for a name! It's edgy. I can't believe I'm agreeing with a Battery supporter! :eek:

12. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we can all get similar get ups to this [​IMG]

of course we would have to "clockwork orange" it up some. maybe some Doc's and chain wallets. of course the cane is a must as is the white hat and black tie. Alright maybe im going a little too far

13. ATLSoccer

ATLSoccer New Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Roswell, Ga
    Agreed 100%. All this branding talk is useless. You can call the team "The Team of the South" until you're blue in the face. It won't mean a thing unless the team actively markets throughout the south.

14. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Why? What's wrong with it? :)

15. MPoole

MPoole Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The name's not bad, and besides my wife makes a mean sweet tea and an awsome pulled pork bbq. ;) On the flip side, we would be the most gentile of the supporter's groups. The Colonel outfit would make us the least intimidating soccer fans in the world.

"Come Houston Dynamo, let's have a nice friendly game of foosball"

16. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do like the name. I think it has a ring to it as well as encapsulates some of the finer qualities of the South,

my crucifing remark was more to the fact that im not sure I would support an MLS team just because they were based in the South. I know Im the minority but like I said, I'm a Battery fan first, Im sure there are others who would think similarly in Cary, Charlotte and Wilmington. Sure I will probably watch with interest but in a head to head the Battery would get my support

But if the League of Southern Gentleman is be a confederation of supporters from the South, with an aim of showing that the South has dedicated soccer fans and could support an MLS team, Im in.

As far as image, Im sure I can come up with a logo with some edge to it.

17. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some reason I'm picturing Colonel Sanders with a ball at his feet. Not sure that works, but it would be funny.

18. ATLSoccer

ATLSoccer New Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Roswell, Ga
    Well, if we want to get the League of Southern Gentlemen going, what we should do is get some banners made, and maybe a flag for each state and plan a get together at the friendlies in Atlanta. Garber will there, let's show MLS that the south is a viable region for MLS.

19. Blackbox

Blackbox Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Indiana/Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is no one thinking the "League of Southern Gentlemen" is a mouthful and a bit too corny? ;) At least shorten it to the "Southern Gents"...

20. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Southern Gents is pretty good.

21. ATLSoccer

ATLSoccer New Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Roswell, Ga
    It sounds cool to me. We could have the official name as "League of Southern Gentlemen" and just use "Southern Gents" for short.

22. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think people will be confused of "league" - wait they have a league just for the Southern teams?

Southern Gents- that's got something.

23. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I can just see the crowds of black and hispanic people wanting to join:rolleyes:

24. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [mg]http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/5682/sandershzv0.jpg[/img]

The Colonel welcomes all.

===
    What is the percentage of minority support among all MLS teams by ethnicity?

25. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 2007, MLS fans were 40% female, 10% black, and 25% Hispanic. [source]

the Hispanic fan base may be increasing; in 2004 fans were reportedly almost 50% female, 10% black, and 17% Hispanic. [source--PDF]