Southampton vs The Arsenal, Saturday, April 16, 2022, 1500 GMT

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by mebeSajid, Apr 14, 2022.

1. KevinJRogers

KevinJRogers Member

NYCFC | VfB Stuttgart
    United States
    Jan 29, 2022
    Clifton Park, N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that was miserable. It's too early to get drunk but come sundown there's gonna be a cork popped.

stlducks repped this.
  2. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If we're going to float 20 aimless crosses in again, honestly yeah, stick him up there. :ROFLMAO:

daedalus and Deep Wilcox repped this.
  3. KevinJRogers

KevinJRogers Member

NYCFC | VfB Stuttgart
    United States
    Jan 29, 2022
    Clifton Park, N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I just said on social, "Had you told me 10 days ago we'd drop all 9 points over these three games with the Champions League all but in our hands, I would have punched you in the nose."

I know we're thin, and we're obviously missing three massive pieces, plus lacking a striker. But no one can tell me we didn't have enough to beat at least two of these three opponents, and arguably all three.

4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm willing to see what the next transfer window offers. The current side has shown glimpses of really good play despite some glaring personnel shortcomings.

That being said, I hope the admins are monitoring him behind the scenes to see what he's doing to continue to learn his craft and learn from mistakes.

5. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well he played an actual LB at LB today, so that is something.

daedalus and Cop Shoot Cop repped this.
  6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We really have no idea how to attack

arteta making emery look like Cruyff

7. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    sometimes you gotta go full chris samba.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  8. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    that was my exact thought. it feels like the little bastard scores against us every single time.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  9. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    daedalus repped this.
  10. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
  11. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Out of curiosity, which strikers were viable in Jan. Realistically. I know we should have brought in someone even on loan but not sure who.

KevinJRogers and daedalus repped this.
  12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard for most of us to get too excited about a trip to The Bridge in 40 hours. And I bet it’s not exactly easy for the players either. But nonetheless this game beckons. Anybody interested in a very short term assignment as thread starter?

13. KevinJRogers

KevinJRogers Member

NYCFC | VfB Stuttgart
    United States
    Jan 29, 2022
    Clifton Park, N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I don't think the club gets enough credit for going as hard as they did after Dušan Vlahović. Just didn't work out, and probably for the same reason other potential targets wouldn't bite: elite strikers want to play in the Champions League.

So, we were kind of in a Catch-22 on that one.

Truthfully, I think the biggest factors in this slide are the injuries, though. Losing both Tierney and Tomiyasu was bad enough, and we've missed Tomi all along. But Thomas Partey going down was deadly. He's been our glue ever since he got fit and in form.

daedalus repped this.
  14. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

15. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Arteta’s record against Chelsea has actually been quite good. In his second game in charge Arsenal lost to Chelsea 2-1, followed by a 2-2 draw in the reverse fixture, before winning the FA Cup, Then last season Arsenal did the double over Chelsea. So while I’m not very confident going into tomorrow’s game there is a glimmer of hope.

16. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    I think Vlahovic was unrealistic and a waste of time. Mikel and Edu have no pull and can forget about high profile signings.

I wish they would because there are decent alternatives who are unwanted or are seeking a move (Øde last year as an example).

KevinJRogers repped this.
  17. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That overstates things - Chelsea were by far the better team in many of those games. The game at Stamford Bridge last season is perhaps one of the most unfair outcomes (xG-wise) I've seen in a while. We should have lost 4-0. The only game in which we were really better was the FA Cup final.

18. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think something we've neglected to discuss is that, after all the pushing players out last summer and in January, we've ended up with a pretty thin squad and are really vulnerable to injuries.

I think the current run of results is unfortunate (the variance is huge), but this team needs a lot more depth.

casoccerdad47 repped this.
  19. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    I think it was James on the Arsecast pointed out that sp*rs buying Bentancur (19m euros) and taking Kulusevski on loan (10m euro loan fee) allowed Juve to have the money to buy Vlahovic and meant they couldn't afford to let Arthur go on loan, which took away 2 options that Edu was pursuing. If that was intentional by sp*rs and they finish 4th, it was kind of brilliant.

Isak was available in that Arsenal could have paid the lump sum release clause.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  20. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    I can see Conte and the Sporting Director plotting this with they old club. Clever but damages us for not planning alternatives.

21. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    1516453717129707536 is not a valid tweet id

The Jitty Slitter and GunnerJacket repped this.
  22. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    [​IMG]

23. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There's absolutely a Lacazette problem, but it's not the one you think - he's fine as a striker who plays deeper and facilitates play, but when he plays deep he doesn't get on the end of chances. The problem with Lacazette is that Arsenal can't score when they're behind, and he's the primary culprit.

The Jitty Slitter and daedalus repped this.
  24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yikes. Just quantifies what we've been seeing the last 3 games and what's made me so depressed right about now.

25. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Tactics play a part in xG. When a team is set up to defend and counter against a better team, the other team is going to pile up shots and xG. With a back three and Tierney and Saka as wing backs that is exactly what Arteta did in the away game against Chelsea last season. While Chelsea had 19 shots in that game, only 4 of them were on target, making a 4-0 win by Chelsea improbable. I would suggest that Arteta gets credit for his tactics in that game, improving his record against Chelsea.

BTW, don’t you rate the home 3-1 win with the introduction of Smith Rowe and Martinelli when Aubameyang and Lacazette were missing? The xG in that game was approximately equal.