Southampton Saints vs Arsenal (FAcup) 23Jan2021

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by And_ROOS, Jan 19, 2021.

1. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    upload_2021-1-20_9-38-31.png

UK - January 23 - 12:15pm: @ Southampton (FA Cup) - BT Sport
    USA - January 23 - 7:15am: @ Southampton (FA Cup) - ESPN+
    CAN - January 23 - 7:15am: @ Southampton (FA Cup) - Not sure, probably DAZN
    AUS - January 23 - 11:15pm: @ Southampton (FA Cup) - Foxtel/BeinSports

And the streak continues!

A strong second half showing against Newcastle has us back on the winners list before a super quick turnaround for our FA Cup match with Southampton who won 2-0 this morning.

Don't think we have any injuries stemming from the match against Newcastle, but I would expect significant squad rotation considering we have Southampton again on the 26th of January.

Auba scoring goals is a big deal considering recent struggles, and Saka and ESR are immense. Big credit needs to be given to the defense as well as they have been rocks defensively and keeping clean sheets.

Hard to know who will be in the line up but I would imagine it would be kids and people not getting game time, leaving our first team to recover for the EPL match on the 26th.

Either way, lets keep the good times rolling!

I predict a 2-1 win, with Willian scoring both goals.

COME ON ARSENAL!

NorthBank repped this.
  2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring in the scrubs! Pepe, Willian et al. ;)

3. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    2 of my mates at work made a bet, with it being that Willian would be within 10 goals of Werner in the PL at the end of the season.

Right now Willian on 0 goals, Werner on 4, he is just holding in there.

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though we have to turn around in 3 days to play the same team in the league, I expect Mikel to put out a quality team for this cup tie.

Not least because this may be our best/only chance of qualifying for Europe... to win the FA Cup. Isn't that how we qualified last year?

That said, we still have to hope (and work!) for a top 5-6 finish in the EPL which should qualify us also. And league form should be much less of a crap shoot than winning every remaining match in a cup tournament.

5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rest esr and saka

Rotate the team massively imo

mebeSajid and maskito repped this.
  6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy, based on the tepid activity in here, this isn't exactly a hotly anticipated match. Oh well, all I know is that I'll be up by 7am for this one, firing up my Roku.

One idea, by way of Arseblog: Rest Tierney again for this one, which could go 120 mins, which he's already had to do in the last cup tie and play him in the league match on Tues. And give AMN another go at LB tomorrow, or even Cedric at LB. I like that thinking.

maskito repped this.
  7. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Super stoked that we brought an Aussie into the squad and a good chance that Ryan makes his Arsenal debut in this match.

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming you've followed him more closely than I have, how well do you rate Ryan? Quality? Strengths/weaknesses? Comparison to other keepers we know? (I've never really paid him a lot of attention when he's played for Brighton)

As for him starting tomorrow, that'd seem VERY unlikely to me.

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just noticed that Jerry Seinfeld is our referee tomorrow...

upload_2021-1-22_18-56-34.png

10. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    I haven't followed why he fell out of favour at Brighton but he won't displace Leno. However he has put in consistently strong NT performances over a long time and is a strong shot stopper and decent with his feet.
    Easily an upgrade on what we had, but probably not going to be as good as Emi was right before he left.

11. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I’m pissed we’re not playing a bird.

maskito repped this.
  12. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    what is the deal with that?

daedalus and maskito repped this.
  13. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  14. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    so it's leno between the sticks, not ryan. but, hey, we have 2 keepers on the bench. so that's fun.

if we aren't even willing to play maitland-niles during congested period, we should have cashed in on him.

i'm assuming willian is playing no 10? i don't mind that TOO much. i have been intrigued if it can work. he won't provide the movement that smith-rowe does.

why play holding instead of chambers? if he isn't worth a start, why not send chambers on loan to see if we can cash in on him?

good to see gabriel back.

i don't mind pepe getting time on the right here. saka can't play everyday and we need pepe to play for him to have any value come summer.

15. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    I keep thinking I'm not bothered about a cup win, but as winning would get us in the EL it probably is worth the effort. On the other hand, without the FA cup we might get a better league position. Just try and win every match, success breeds success!!

Great to see Martinelli back.

16. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Arteta said earlier this week he wasn't going to send Chambers on loan and that he wants to give him playing time. Could be a sign Mustafi is on his way out.

Also said Auba had a personal matter.

Hopefully Willian's last stand before Odegaard takes his place. Sucks that AMN is so buried in the doghouse.

17. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Southampton: Forster, Walker-Peters, Bednarek, Stephens, Bertrand, Diallo, Ward-Prowse, Armstrong, Walcott, Ings, Adams
    Subs: Lewis, Ramsay, Valery, Vokins, Chauke, Jankewitz, Watts, Long, Nlundulu

Arsenal: Leno, Bellerin, Holding, Gabriel, Cedric, Elneny, Xhaka, Willian, Pepe, Martinelli, Nketiah
    Subs: Runarsson, Ryan, Chambers, Luiz, Maitland-Niles, Partey, Willock, Saka, Lacazette

Both teams going into the match with strong line ups, happy that we are giving ESR the night off but brought can' complain that we brought along Laca, Saka and Partey as a "break glass in case of emergency" scenario.

Would hope we win, and we can give Partey, AMN, Chambers or Willock game time.

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morning chaps. Can't remember the last early early KO like this one.

COYG!!!!!

19. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    mustafi can feck off anytime he likes. but, if you want to keep him around and "wants to give him playing time" then, y'know, play him. not bury him in the bench.

i'm pleased auba - along with saka and smith-rowe - is out.

it's irritating. either he is good or he is not. if you don't feel confident in him, that wolves money could have been helpful. if you like him enough to turn down good money then he should be playing - and not bellerin who should be resting along with aubameyang, saka, and smith-rowe - and not wait until he agitates for a move before you give him playing time and pats him on the head to keep him happy.

i mean, between balogun and maitland-niles, that's a good chunk of change we're throwing away.

CarlosKaiser repped this.
  20. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    That was a good corner from Ward-Prowse.

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poor shot by Soares there. It was teed up for him with acres of space. And he blasts it WAY over and wide.

super gooner repped this.
  22. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No card????? c'mon ref

23. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    Walker-Peters should have been booked then.

24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martinelli OMG he was all alone in the box 10 yards from keeper, after a perfectly timed run on a FK. But he would've needed RVP-level technique to take that one out of the air over his shoulder. Oh well.

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait! Another long goal kick from Leno?! What is the world coming too?????