South Melbourne FC

Discussion in 'Australian A-League' started by Keith312, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Keith312

Keith312 New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    I am trying to learn more about Australian soccer and the A League and I was wondering why South Melbourne FC are not competing in this league?They seem to have everything a big club needs.Anyone able to shed some light on this for me?

2. red_soccerhut

red_soccerhut BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 25, 2005
    South Melbourne are no longer in the national league because they only cater for people of Greek descent and exclude people from all other ethnic groups.

The A-League creators specifically created a competition which embraces all Australian football supporters not just sections like the old NSL did. The old NSL failed pure and simply because of this.

South Melbourne "Hellas" as they call themselves, now play in the Victorian Premier League essentially the same competition where they came from before the old NSL began in 1977. The club is doing well according to all reports but won't ever get back into the top flight because of its history.

Hope this answers your question adequately.

3. Keith312

Keith312 New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Thanks for the reply,that is the information I was looking for.

4. Aussiez

Aussiez New Member

Nov 18, 2005
    They have an image problem here for various reasons. They are in alot of debt and have had plenty of finacial problems. They have a huge greek population to draw support from in Melbourne but have struggled to draw much support. Their best years are behind them.

5. football-dave

football-dave New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Japan
    Yes SM had an image problem! But that was totaly unfair I attended every home game for years often with my wife (japanese) and not once was made to feel unconfortable. And no trouble ever came my way. A true shame, due to the stigma an unmarketable team:(

6. MVFC

MVFC New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Melbourne 5-0
    Bollocks.

Reply red_soccerhut? :rolleyes:

I wouldn't beleive everything you read champ.

They are a Greek backed club, no doubt but they don't exclude or 'only cater for' the greek community. There best player is a Turk.

7. UkeSuperstar

UkeSuperstar New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Melbourne
    I'd agree with MVFC on Non-Greeks being excluded. I know a lot of greeks who support them obviously, but I also know a lot of non-greeks (our family friends are English and they support them) who go for them.

However, I did once think that being Non-Greek (I am Ukrainian), i'd be excluded, but I found out that this is not the case. A club which fits more too the other description, would be Preston Lions.

Not a maco? Then get the ******** out of there before you get stomped.

And MVFC, Hope to see you at SMFC's first season game in a few weeks :p.

Also, just quickly. Another greek oriented club is Heidelberg United. I can tell you now half there fans are Italian :p.

8. Champagne Football

Champagne Football New Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    However, you'd have to agree that South Melbourne have a huge marketing problem as they are perceived as a Greek club and would never be able to get around that. It would be very difficult for them to grow their membership.

9. MVFC

MVFC New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Melbourne 5-0
    Melbourne is the 2nd (3rd now?) largest Greek city in the world.

If they were in the A-League the potetial fan base is there.

10. UkeSuperstar

UkeSuperstar New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Melbourne
    Agree 100%. Just saying that as far as with the exclusion thing, that wasn't true.

Ethnic tied clubs don't work in a National Competition. Simple.

11. Champagne Football

Dec 5, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    First you said South Melbourne wasn't just for Greeks... and now you're saying they would have a large potential fan base... of Greeks.:rolleyes:

12. MVFC

MVFC New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Melbourne 5-0
    SMFC is not 'just for Greeks'. Ie. our little friend above saying his ****** gf was never felt anything buy content at their games.

That said they are a Greek backed club - no doubt. Melbourne has a huge amount of Greeks and If they ever did make the A-League (which wont happen) the potential fan base is there.

13. gullaci(mvfc)

gullaci(mvfc) New Member

Sep 22, 2005
    melbourne, aus
    Which best player? U talking about Rama?
    The few times i made it to south games (ex-carlton fan), the atmosphere was great, friendly, no problems.
    The problems are for the large part taken out of proportion - a mate of mine wasnt allowed to go to any victory matches because of the "ethnic tension":confused: , which is just insane.
    South is a predominately greek club, yes, but by no means are other ehtnicities excluded, and i think that in a few years we might find south in one form or another, playing in the A-league.

14. sherrinator

sherrinator New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    still has the second largest amount of greeks/greek descent in the world, right after athens.

15. MVFC

MVFC New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Melbourne 5-0
    • Rama - yes.
    • Hellas games were (are) a great day/night out I reckon.
    • Your mate who wasn't allowed to go to the Victory game due to "ethnic tension" has some issues buddy :eek:
    • I highly doubt the South Melbourne will play in the A-League in the next, say 10 years.

I heard the other day Thessaloniki went past us? Could be wrong.

16. Champagne Football

Dec 5, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Athens -> Thessaloniki -> Melbourne

http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/info.cfm?top=161&pg=1643

If that WC warm-up game against Greece is played in Melbourne, I wonder who Melbourne's Greek community will support?:rolleyes:

17. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    South Melbourne used to be my favourite club. Melbourne Victory are now my favourites.
    Some of the players from South Melbourne are pretty good. I only wish that the Melbourne Victory could recruit them.

18. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    What's wrong with that? I don't see a problem with it. Melbourne is a multicultral city. Good to see that SMFC do see it that way.

19. MVFC

MVFC New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Melbourne 5-0
    We have enough Hellas players thanks.

SMFC --> Melbourne Victorys feeder club.

Then again, you don't have much idea.

The idea of the new league was to have teams supported due to people being passionate about their city/town. A supporters base was sposed to be build around this concept - not having a Greek side backed by the majoity of Greek fans.

SMFC won't play in the A-League in the next decade at least, if ever.