South American Greats Who Never Played In Copa America/S. American Championship.

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Every Four Years, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Hi all, I just thought I'd start this thread after reading about Kaká and finding out that he shockingly never played in a Copa America. He was not selected for the 2011 or 2016 Copas due to injury, and also was not selected for the 2004 Copa at 22 as he was not yet a Brazil regular, or for the 2015 Copa. The one time he probably would have played, at the peak of his career (winning the Ballon D'Or and FIFA World Player of the Year Award that year) in the 2007 Copa, he himself declined to participate.

I looked through the top 11 scorers for Brazil on Wikipedia (unfortunately they did not list below the top 11) to see if there were any other major players who did not play in the Copa, and found that Jairzinho and Tostao never played in one. There were a few others who only played in one, but all had at least participated in one Copa other than those two.

Is anyone here aware of any other highly regarded South American players who never played in a Copa?