South Africa Lodging Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by Palermo10, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose its never too early to plan, right?

For last year's World Cup we booked a hostel about a year in advance, and during the time we stayed there, they were actually charging other travelers double pricing.

If you are in the know about where to stay in South Africa, please let us know. I personally have never been there, and while we don't know the groupings until we actually qualify, I would like to pick out a home-base city first.

We were looking at staying in Cape Town but it is so far from all other host cities, so maybe Johannesburg? How does that work as far as transportation to the other cities?

Host Cities:

Cape Town
    Port Elizabeth
    Durban
    Nelspruit
    Rustenburg
    Bloemfontein
    Pretoria
    Polokwane
    Johannesburg

2. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Where to Stay - South Africa 2010

I'm planning on running an ultra in Durban next June - mostly because I want to run the race, but with the additional purpose of checking the place out before 2010.

I don't plan on making any arrangements until I know where the USA is playing, but I will likely do what I did in Germany: find a place that is central to the venues they will be playing in - from the list of cities, my guess is Pretoria or Jo'burg will fit the bill.

3. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ah I hate these threads, all it does is get me more excited, and we still have three years to go !

I made all my arrangements after the draw was done for germany 06. I might try and do the same thing for south africa, because trying to get back to the city you are staying at in the middle of the night might not be a good idea in South Africa. I will most likely try to book hotels in the center of the city, in the safest location, but near all the action.

4. therealjdj

therealjdj New Member

May 30, 2006

that is so true. not sure how easy/safe it will be to get around in SA after a game. especially when you are drunk and all pumped up about the US victory...

5. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Luckily, I have a friend who has a house in Cape Town. Yea, it's far from the other host cities, but it's a free house!:p I was also told by him that flying is the best way to get around SAF, anyways.

6. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000

I've already started faxing my ticket application to USSF! :)

7. yeroc25

yeroc25 New Member

May 25, 2007
    SF
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Things may change by 2010, but Jo burg is currently one of the most dangerous cities in the world. I have a few friends who lived in SA for a while and cautioned on traveling to Jo burg. I would go with Cape Town or Durban.

8. The Wisdom Cube

The Wisdom Cube New Member

Oct 7, 2005
    Clemson, SC

Just keep in mind that South Africa is three times the size of Texas, and according to my calculations, about 3.4 times the size of Germany... Some venues are be pretty close to each other, but others aren't. Here's a good map and link:

[​IMG]

http://www.safarinow.com/cms/2010-fifa-world-cup-/irie.aspx

9. hoboken16

hoboken16 Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fair point on the size difference, picking a central point may be tough

10. EXboxur

EXboxur New Member

Dec 9, 2005

Nice, it should arrive at one of their high-tech fax machines just in time for 2014. :rolleyes:

11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater New Member

Jan 20, 2005

I was in Joburg in 1998, stayed at the Hyatt in Rosebank. The hotel is connected to a small shopping area and short walk to other shops and restaurants, including a fabulous outdoor Sunday market if you're seeking local crafts. That area is considered "safe" for tourists, but do ask for and heed advice from your hotel as far as where to go, when and how. Best piece of advice is to keep your hotel's number handy and call them to send a taxi to you. Not sure if things have changed now, but hailing one on teh street or calling one not sent by the hotel was considered highly dangerous in 98.

Despite the dangers, it was still an amazing place to visit.

12. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just fyi, did some research and a RT flight from J-burg to Cape Town in May of 2008 costs around $167 (R1124)

13. MintyDude

MintyDude Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Seattle/Bellingham

Does SA really fill stadiums of that size frequently? Is their league pretty popular?

14. nysoccerfaninfl

nysoccerfaninfl New Member

Apr 2, 2002
    Panama City Florida

I took My daughter to Germany no second thoughs, she will be 16 by 2010 any think it would be a bad idea to take her this time (SA).

15. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  16. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ther are gonna have so much security there and the world is gonna be watching, i highly doubt anything is going to happen. They will have security taking care of or they willl not have the tourney there. You think Fifa dosent know this?

17. bostonf4lyf

bostonf4lyf Member

Mar 18, 2006
    wmass

you guys want to get freaked out before the trip,

watch tsotsi. its a movie about south african gangsters. shows what it is like in some south african ghettos. good movie though.

18. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just trying to scrare the people, lol?

19. Quadry

Quadry New Member

Feb 12, 2008

I have emailed the Hilton Sandton about when they will be taking reseervations. It is sad that we have to actually worry about safety like this. Durban looks great, if you play there, but too far to go if not.

20. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
  21. Press

Press Member

May 8, 2007

That crime chart is amazing. It seems logical to have the highest percentage of home invasions ocurring in the same frequency and locations as the differential in the income variances. However, it seems totally atypical to have the highest murder rates in the areas where there is very little income variance. In addition, it looks like those high murder areas are rural areas. Its much different than one would expect in that regard.

In any case, going to SA in 2010 will be an adventure and a safari. Lions and tigers and bears... (and yellow cards and red cards and goals)... oh my!

22. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's exactly what you would expect. You should read the slaughter that is going on against the South African farmers and the goverment's indifferent attitude towards protecting them. It's amazing. Very similar to what's going on in rural Zimbabwe

23. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bump.

If anybody comes across good deals, let the rest of us know.

I am working with a guy on finding furnished apartments in Sandton (20 km north of J'burg) - it is supposed to be the more affluent suburb, and on the way to Pretoria.

24. shinpath

shinpath Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Shanghai, PR China
    Club:
    --other--

It's important to bring up these points about the socio-economic situation in South Africa, but if you are travelling to S. Africa for the WC2010 it will probably only concern you if you are one of those Intrepid Explorer types who insists on going as a individual backpacker traveller intent on seeing the country while you follow the team while trying to stay in private homes or in three star or less accomodation. The rest of the mob should consider hotel packages that follow the team which will have the best opportunties for group buses to the matches and directed sightseeing. I've lived in Kenya (for a few months in late 70s in Masaailand) so Africa I can tell you has plenty of expected and unexpected things to see, most of them in complete safety.

25. TimBoston

TimBoston Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States