South Africa 2010: Catch all preparation thread

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Fans & Travel' started by 2010wcfans, Jul 23, 2007.

1. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    It's more...but tastes better ;)
    We have very good wine and beer here...

2. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    'Be careful of short distance busses '....

Oh Joy!! Something else to be careful of.

3. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    My personal opinion is that people should not try and see all the games, but rather focus on travelling. Instead of trying to be at each and every game, being tired, id rather spend my time on sight seeing and leisure, and only watch selected games at the stadiums...

4. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm sure tv contracts and probably sponsorship too are already long since paid for, so FIFA wouldn't care.

As FIFA don't make money from tickets, they probably wouldn't care if it knocks a few thousand off a few games either.

5. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd planned my trip to have 4 or 5 days at one location, then move on, rather than trying to move all over the place.

Sadly, even that seems completely unviable now

6. wctcgame

wctcgame New Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Can't wait!

7. DLee

DLee Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Chicago
    Silly but important question - is drinking alcohol on the streets legal in SA?

8. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    emmex - thanks for the input - i hope you're wrong about the domestic flights, haha. i only have place to fly to. i can't imagine people with TST tickets spending so much on flights when there will probably be flights every 60 to 90 minutes....

december is right around the corner so we'll see :)

9. jase

jase New Member

Sep 7, 2009
    From CapeTownMagazine.com (already posted by another person on Trip Advisor):

Mango to Operate 24 Hours and 7 days During World Cup

Airline will not increase its fares to take advantage of foreign pockets

South African low cost airline Mango, says it will serve up 24 hour operation over the period of the World Cup tournament in 2010.

This service extension will comprise of an extended flight schedule as well as support services such as its call centre and Guest Services facilities to assist guests. The airline says it expects a massive uptake in bookings following the final draw on 4 December 2009, when match venues will be confirmed.

“Unlike some of our competitors, Mango will not be increasing its fares simply to cash in on the influx of tourists,” says CEO Nico Bezuidenhout. “Instead, Mango has planned substantially for the event. I believe this is an opportunity to showcase our country and not to allow visitors to return home with a negative perception.”

Bezuidenhout says he was disheartened to see some airlines charging close to R 10 000 for a return trip between Johannesburg and Cape Town next year July. “South Africa should approach the tournament as a potential long term commercial opportunity, not an opportunity to simply rake in greenbacks. Inflated pricing is just a turn off.”

Bezuidenhout says that Mango will operate around the clock over the period of the tournament, and that the airline is already geared to manage the sharp increase in travellers expected. “With an extended schedule and our charter operations, Mango should quadruple the number of guests we transport during this period.”

Mango will release its updated schedule for flights over the tournament period by mid-November 2009. “Beyond scheduled flights, we have already had several charter bookings and expect the rush for flights after the December 4 draw.” He added that Mango expects the rest of the travel industry to follow the same trend.

“This is the time to show what South Africans are capable of. We should look at milking visitor goodwill, not their wallets. By taking a longer term view of next year’s event, it will benefit both us and generation next.”

From round-the-clock flights to top accommodation, CapeTownMagazine.com will keep you in the loop about everything you need to stay and play comfortably during the FIFA 2010 World Cup.

10. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    'Airline will not increase its fares to take advantage of foreign pockets'....
    Well they won't because their holding company SAA will be charging the earth for flights and so can afford to look like some generous, sensitive benefactor. Still it is good news for fans.

11. thetoffees

thetoffees New Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Anyone got any outside tips for the World Cup?

The next Cameroon @ Italia '90??

This football article here predicts Serbia to cause a surprise or two and, if they can get through their play-off, Bosnia. They were unlucky to be put in a group with Spain and unfortunate again to see the play-offs seeded.

If they get a kind play-off draw I reckon they could surprise a few people in SA next summer.

12. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not sure this is the right section here but anyway i would have to say eastern european sides are always seen as the dark horses and so seldom deliver. Only Poland in 1974 & 1982 plus Croatia in 1998 and Bulgaria in 1994 have ever done anything and even they were not expected to. I know it was the last game but for a weakened Spain team to thrash Bosnia in the last game i think says plenty. There is a great difference playing in some far flung part of Europe on a cold night than playing on a more level playing foeld in the world cup. Or plastic as Russia are concerned.

13. btbc

btbc Member

May 10, 2004
    Can anyone tell me about these two locations. I am looking at two accommodations in these areas and was wondering if anyone with knowledge thought they would be a good place to stay during the WC. Thanks.

1. Kempton Park

2. Silver Lake

Thanks in advance.

14. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    I've been to Kepmton Park some years back...It's an ok area....nothing special, but should be more affordable than Silver Lake and closer to the airport. Is it in a hotel you wanna stay there? A drawback can be that there is not much to see in the area itsself, although it may be well situated between Pretoria and Johannesburg games. It is not a place to experience as such, but maybe worth affordability and location wise only. (to see other places)

Silver Lake - I think there is more than one...is it Centurion Silver Lake?
    Either as far as i know is upper class areas and probably good locations for general tourists....

Maybe if you link me the places your considering staying at, i can give more info

15. shaunsindelman

Apr 23, 2009
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Everyone make sure to get yourself a Castle Lite because it's "Ice Ice Cold"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crtmxaFPUaU&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Vanilla Ice Castle Lite Ad[/ame]

16. 3-lions

3-lions New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Tried to get tickets through FIFA but didn't get them so will be watching it at the pub

17. Rhand

Rhand Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Mol, Belgium
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I wonder how many of the fans will go home infected with HIV...

18. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Posts like this are unneccesary and don't contribute anything. If you want to discuss this we have a specific thread in the forum for security and health in S Africa.

19. Rhand

Rhand Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Mol, Belgium
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    My apologies, I would've posted it there if I knew it existed. You can delete this and previous post.

20. Oceans of time

Jun 26, 2007
    Chicago
    How 'bout it man! I am predicting this will be the best World Cup ever! After the Confed Cup I am so jazzed. And then their is the weather. For the first time ever (or at least in a very long time) the World Cup of Football will be played in IDEAL FOOTBALL WEATHER!!! That's got to help the chances for some up-tempo soccer don't u think?

21. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    Now that we've had the draw I've updated the maps page with team names, so you can see where everyone will be going.
    D3 (shown above) is Serbia.

22. samconnie

samconnie Member

Feb 22, 2006
    toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    really mpressive:)

23. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    I have a question regarding TST tickets. If my team gets eliminated ( i am considereing the 7 game TST tickets, for Honduras) Which games do i get? I know i get a game for every round, but which ones if my team gets eliminated.
    Great MAPS Timanfaya thanks!

24. honkifulovemls

Sep 5, 2001
    NY/MA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If your team gets eliminated, you get a ticket for the next match of the team that beat your team - for example, if you support Brazil, and they are eliminated by Germany, then you begin following Germany. This pattern continues all the way to the championship match.

25. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If you are eliminated at the group stage you follow the group winner. Then you follow the winner of each match to the final. If Honduras make it to the semi final and get defeated, you still get a final ticket rather than a 3rd place playoff ticket.