South Africa 2010: Catch all preparation thread

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Fans & Travel' started by 2010wcfans, Jul 23, 2007.

1. 2010wcfans

2010wcfans New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Toronto
    Who is looking forward to the 2010 World Cup South Africa?...if so, make your comments and views here and check out this website that is promoting the event.
    http://www.2010wcfans.com

2. matador11

matador11 Member

Jun 21, 2000
    South Florida
    Re: Africa's first world cup in 2010.

I certainly am. Germany was my first World Cup and an experience that I will never forget - especially since I shared it with my old man who is an even bigger fan.

It was during Germany that we made a vow to go to South Africa. While we expect some of the comforts of having a WC in Europe, especially Germany, to be missing from the 2010 WC, I do believe South Africa is capable of putting together quite a spectacle.

For starters, having never been to Africa, let alone South Africa, I am looking forward to visiting this beautiful country. Also, there is something pure about a newbie country like South Africa hosting the World Cup. The Germans, being accustomed to hosting large sporting events, were old hats at this. The South Africans, I suspect, will see this at one of the greatest moments in their country's history.

One thing I am NOT looking forward to is the grueling travel. I hear the US to South Africa trip - even a direct fligth - can be downright awful.

3. 2010wcfans

2010wcfans New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Toronto

hey u really seem like ur ready and can't wait for 2010. i'm also eagerly anticipating it so much...can't wait.

4. nico002

nico002 New Member

Jun 28, 2007

South Africa is nothing like the rest of Africa.

Its pretty much a european country.

Its modern and safe. You will have just as many "comforts" as in Germany.

5. Joe van Dyk

Joe van Dyk New Member

Aug 20, 2007

Hi, Matador11 Greetings from South Africa. I am not a soccer fan but involved in the tourism industry in S.A. I would like to speak to fans regarding their needs and fears i.t.o. 2010 in order for us to get things ready. I realy wont promote my bussiness unless requested to do so. As the bulk of the tourism industry has no idea of what you guys want please let me know what you guys need in terms of accommodation, bookings, tours, transport etc and what your biggest fears are. We would like to deal with it in order to make your visit to our country a pleasant and unforgettable one.
    Regards, Joe van Dyk - Pretoria, South Africa

6. MaRoC-2007

MaRoC-2007 New Member

Jul 25, 2007

I wish the WC was in Morocco...they nearly got it...they would be the first arab country

7. Oceans of time

Jun 26, 2007
    Chicago

Hello Joe. I have never been off the North American continent but sometimes think about how cool it would be to see the WC in SA. You asked a direct question so I'll give a direct answer. If I was seriously going I would be worried about violent crime. I am from Chicago and it takes a pretty scarry neighborhood before I start reaching for my doorlocks as a reference point and we have our own problems but I hear in the news media that SA has one of the highest murder rates in world or something equally terrifying as that.

8. ewheatley

ewheatley Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree 100%. I am not going, as I cannot afford to go (new baby girl, and new/old house has zapped my fun money)

But, from what I hear, or what my general perception is that South Africa, particularly the cities, are not at all safe. I would also be concerned about public transportation. What is offered?

9. Joe van Dyk

Joe van Dyk New Member

Aug 20, 2007

Thanks guys for the reply. Yes crime is an issue but it should not keep you guys from coming here as there will be a very small chance that you will become a victim (nothing more than where you are now) cause I will be able to supply you with a number of do's and dont's that will keep you out of trouble. I have been a Police Officer for twenty years and is currently running, amongst others, a bussiness as a security consultant and know what I am talking about. With regards to public transport you have to understand that S.A. is a third world country with a public transport system that barely excists and is one of the things that should be avoided if ever you visit S.A. and want to stay out of crime's reach. Bus transport in the cities and between cities is OK though never on time and few and far between. Suburban trains and taxis are the ones to stay away from. But dont be concerned as special arrangements will be made by FIFA and the local tourism industry to serve your every need. It is surely going to be a different experience in S.A. from that in Germany. Take for instance first round matches that are going to take place in places like Polokwane, Rustenburg and Nelspruit. These are big towns with populations close to 40 thousand. Stadiums are currently under construction that will house at least 42 thousand spectaters. That means that if the stadium is filled the town's population capacity will have doubled. I think your biggest concern should be accommodation.

10. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

Each time I travel to SA I love it more.

I can't wait for 2010!

11. Pony Slaystation 4

Pony Slaystation 4 New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    here.

I'm a bit scared. Mainly because of the location. But I'm excited because my team has the chance to do well and I think Europe will shine once again. I don't know if the stadiums will be ready in time though...what will happen in that case?

12. Oceans of time

Jun 26, 2007
    Chicago

2010wcfans or someone else please give a progress update. I think we've crossed the Rubicon so I am now 100% in support of RSA. Come on RSA; you can do it! Sometimes we all need help planning a party so don't hesitate to ask for help.

This last bit is a little off topic but the RSA (the whole southern hemisphere actually) is predicted to have a colder than normal winter because a major volcano erupted this week in Chile. Would a cooler winter (June - August) 2008 help or hinder world cup preparation?

13. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

According to the news I've read, at this point the Chilean volcano hasn't produced even close to enough sulpur dioxide to impact temperatures globally, or even in the southern hemisphere.

14. Oceans of time

Jun 26, 2007
    Chicago

"Possible effect the southern hemisphere..." is what I think I read yesterday. I guess if it snows in Johannesburg in July or August we'll know better. BTW - glad someone is still following this thread. GO FFC this week to stay up!!:D

15. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think that volcano is quite done with its little fireworks display. We'll probably know in the coming weeks if there will be an impact.

But given the average winter temp in SA is in the 50-55(F) range, they can probably tolerate a 10 degree drop from a construction standpoint without major impact. Snow is pretty rare, fortunately.

And thanks for the well wishes. COYW! :)

16. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Uh? I plan to go to South Africa even before the WC but I'm not so sure about this comment... I work with a lot of South Africans here in the UAE who refuse to return home because apparently the crime has gotten so bad.

Anyhoo... not to harp on the negative here.. I'm really excited about the WC being held in Africa... I hope that the WC is more like 2002, in the sense that a lot of non-Euro powerhouses make the latter stages of the tournament. Having the WC in Asia helped the Asian teams.. so I hope this WC2010 has the same affect on Africa.

17. aggiebird02

aggiebird02 New Member

May 20, 2006
    Native Texan

It will help the African teams for sure, FIFA and the refs will make sure of that. I'd love to see someone from outside South America or Europe win the WC, even if it is with controversial officiating...

18. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here we go again...

19. Oceans of time

Jun 26, 2007
    Chicago

I want to encourage RSA, not discourage RSA.

Maybe the source for inspiration is a combination of that Adidas commercial
    "Impossible is Nothing"
    and this 8 minute video. Make sure you watch it to the end. :) Lion vs. Buffalo vs. Crocadile - Guess who wins?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc9vZcJoTlo

20. aggiebird02

aggiebird02 New Member

May 20, 2006
    Native Texan

It's true, the host always gets calls. Whether that be from crowd influence on the ref or something more coordinated, the host (and other African countries) will have a leg up. I personally don't think it's planned, just human nature...

21. aggiebird02

aggiebird02 New Member

May 20, 2006
    Native Texan

I think we all know South Africa won't win it (heck, they may be the first host to not qualify for the second round), but someone like Ghana or Egypt? Who knows what will happen, I mean the Cup will be in freakin' Africa! You know it's going to be one crazy, fun (and hopefully safe), World Cup. It'll definantly be one to remember. Not like those endless & boring European World Cups...

22. M.O.T

M.O.T Member

May 9, 2008

I think it's just crowd influence. Nothing more. The good thing about most of Africa is that Africans support all african nations. I'm Kenyan and I support any and all african team that make it. I'm not sure if this is the case in South Africa, but I hope the South Africans cheer Africa on. I'm already looking forward to this, can't wait.........

23. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd

Hm, I don`t think South Africa is an advantage for african teams. when i hear of snow at johannesburg in june, this might better favour skandinavian teams.

NEvertheless, I am sure, SA will reach the second round. As they are head of a group, they won`t face the european big players and Argenina or Brasil.

They will get a mediocre european side, an and two out of concacaf, south america, asia

With a little luck, a group could be

South Africa
    Switzerland
    Guatemala
    China

24. sportscribe

sportscribe Member

Jul 2, 2007

Ignorance. Parts of South Africa actually have the highest crime rates in the entire world. South Africa also has the highest murder rate for "developed countries". You're more likely to get shot and killed in South Africa than you are in a maligned country like Nigeria, which is why many of the communities in South Africa are gated. To say South Africa is "nothing like the rest of Africa" is pretty ignorant on your part.

25. sportscribe

sportscribe Member

Jul 2, 2007

Yes, it seems people do not realise that June and July are the coldest months on the calendar in South Africa. The temperature is moderate, so it does not favor or hinder anyone, but I tell you the atmosphere will. African teams tend to play a different brand of football on African soil. It's very open, fast and aggressive. The beat of the drum, combined with the chorus and chants seem to raise the tempo to a whole nother level. The only thing is that this atmosphere and style of play will also suit South American teams. Don't forget that no European team has ever won the World Cup when it was hosted outside of Europe, so I don't expect any to win in Africa. It will probably be Argentina or Brazil to win, or a darkhorse like Mexico or possibly even an African powerhouse like Egypt who are hardly ever beaten on African soil. It will be a memorable World Cup for sure.