Sources: NASL nears deal to televise ALL matches on ESPN3

Discussion in 'NASL' started by 4four4, Mar 23, 2015.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well color me skeptical, I wonder how much would cost them, I would say that it would be better to use that money to set up a league owned Pacific time team, but what do I know.

Sam U El repped this.
  2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I haven't seen an answer to this question: who is paying whom?

Is the NASL paying ESPN to put the games on ESPN3?

Or is ESPN paying the NASL to put the games on ESPN3?

I kind of suspect it's the former.

athletics68 and Sam U El repped this.
  3. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Prosoccercdn and 4four4 repped this.
  4. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    In using each teams local Broadcaster the cost for games to be placed on ESPN3 are minimum. For the NASL having all matches on ESPN3 is huge. In particular with ESPN and TSN being connected and sharing programming makes it even bigger. With 20% of TSN owned by ESPN and have there own version of webcast in TSNGO.
    NLL with US and Canadian cities are shared on both the TSN and ESPN platforms.

5. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's a selling point to tell them that they'll have to shell out an expansion fee, they're guaranteed to lose money each season, three well run opponents will likely be in MLS, they'll be stuck with the neoCosmos and not much else, and now they'll get to pay even more money to put their teams on ESPNs 6th tier for programming? I watch a ton on ESPN3, and NASL when I can, but it's still not even a blip on the ESPN radar as far as number of viewers go.

stphnsn repped this.
  6. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    It is a wonder that the league has ever had an expansion team.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still great that its going on ESPN3. It was pretty good quality last year.

TheJoeGreene and Sam U El repped this.
  8. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ESPN3 is a good thing, but it has absolutely no bearing on getting a new owner in. Get a game or two on the real ESPN channels, and then you've got a recruiting chip to sell potential new owners on.

Hopefully that perspective is good enough for the Cosmos troll/moderator.

Sam U El repped this.
  9. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And they somehow managed to do so without ESPN3. Nothing will change on that front with this deal. Telling them they'll be paying even more to join and participate is also not a recruiting tool.

ESPN3 will be a positive from a production standpoint and hopefully gets a few more eyes on the product. It will draw in potential owners about as well as paying to be on HDNet and CBS Sports did for the UFL.

10. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Being on ESPN3 is a far more different finincial cost. ESPN3 uses a team of leagues local Broadcasts where CBS SN is a flat fee of I think around 150K per game to braodcast with the chance of team or league to make up the costs through advertising.

11. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty good for NASL. It won't attract new owners no, but it's a step in the right direction.

12. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just glad I'll be able to watch all the road matches ! Wooooooo !

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any info on who is paying who?

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While it's certainly a step up, it's also certainly neither a "huge win," nor a selling point to prospective owners.

If you're going to invest in a D2 team, this is not going to put you over the top.

As a general rule, this is not a rights fee type of deal. Many of these broadcasts are already being produced (MNUFCNLFTL is already doing home and away broadcasts) and are just being fed to ESPN3 (the costs for which, I would imagine, are being borne by either the team doing the feeding or the collective).

The incremental costs are probably not that large. Pretty much every team was already doing some sort of broadcast of its home matches, yes? Some on TV, some online only, but they seem to me to all have been miles ahead of where this all started.

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok, so what team will not be on ESPN3? Cosmos?

17. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think it's the Cosmos. If you read the press release there's a line about all NASL games will be available to stream in the U.S except in NYC. IF this is true then its a bad move by the Cosmos, one of the biggest complaints native New Yorkers have about the Cosmos's is the lack of T.V availability for games as most people don't have that channel that shows the games and now you're going to cut off access to people from NYC!? How can this be anything but a positive for the team?

The One X repped this.
  18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $$$$$ The Cosmos may be getting money from their local deal, while the ESPN deal is probably for free (broadcast cost paid by NASL teams).

We all know the Cosmos are going to do their own crazy shit, I say let them, at least the rest of the league was on board, so that is good.

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the answer was on the news link, I guess I should fullly read the links I post.

The One X repped this.
  20. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Having a working relationship with ESPN is a big deal, and it most certainly is a selling point in getting potential owners to pick the NASL over USL. Everything is a selling point, some things are just more important than other things. It might not be what puts an owner over the top, but it is one more thing the NASL can put in their list of positive things about joining the NASL.

21. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless of who is paying who....this is great! While I appreciate the NASL, I would not pay for a package, especially when they supposedly had a bunch of issues last season. I was hoping they would either put the matches on YouTube ala USL or do something like this! I'm just happy that I get more soccer available to me, but i'm a bit let down that the Cosmos won't be available. I'll certainly be watching some United matches so I can get a look at Ibarra.

My assumption here is that at ESPN is at least picking up all of the costs pertaining to the streaming while NASL and the clubs are handling all of the broadcasting. At this point in the league's history, I think it makes much more sense to get your product in front of as many people for as little a cost as possible than it does to sell a package. I just can't imagine they sold too many packages last year so the deal with ESPN may reduce the overall costs while providing more opportunity to generate some advertising revenue in game. I don't really care though, i'm just happy to have access to a large chunk of matches for no extra cost to me.

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying it's not a positive, Hoosier Boy. I'm saying it's not going to attract new investors.

As for the Cosmos, the Cosmos are going to do what's best for the Cosmos. And, in fairness, you might, as well, if you were trying to build an audience for a nascent network. (ESPN did the same thing with what was then called espn2 back in the day, putting Duke/North Carolina on The Deuce when it wasn't as prevalent as it is today in an attempt to build an audience, or beIN Sport getting US road qualifiers in attempt to build relevance.)

Why are you assuming that?

And there you go.

That seems to be the attitude of most folks, who balked at actually - horrors - paying a minimal amount to watch games of the league they were sure was going to supplant MLS and was "Division II in name only." Because when you have a whole bunch of devoted fans who aren't devoted enough to pay for your product, the sky is the limit for you.

23. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh wait, I won't get to see the Scorps play @ the CosmLOLs ? Meh, who wants to watch a bunch of old hacks pretend its 1999 while fans pretend its 1979 in a stadium that lost its heart in 2009 anyway ?

24. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    i was surprised to read indy's game at NYC will be shown on actual TV. that's good news.