Sorry to hear the bad news Montreal

Discussion in 'Montreal Impact' started by antnee7898, Nov 21, 2008.

1. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man I was really rooting for yall with how exciting the Impact are this year. I think the next time around will be your time. So what happend???

2. santeroatomico

santeroatomico New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
  3. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    shame to hear.

4. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    Perhaps they should cheer - they've been saved from relegation!

5. time_drifter

time_drifter Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Wharton
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to hear about the bad news. Maybe Saputo will try again when the economy is a little stronger.

6. camilos

camilos Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Montreal
    Saputo is turning out to be a real Penny Pincher owner. Does this mean that all the other Canadian cities will also withdraw their bid because of the loonie losing its value? Extremely doubtful.

This makes Saputo and Montreal look like a cheap ass city.

7. SweetOwnGoal

SweetOwnGoal Member

Jan 5, 2003
    11.9986 km from BMO Field
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Methinks this is Saputo all the way...he's never been that high on MLS (just look back to his comments when TFC was awarded). He didn't think the $40 million was worth it.

It's a bad, bad decision that he will live to regret. Really shortsighted.

8. GoodTimes2008

GoodTimes2008 New Member

Oct 24, 2008
    as much as i think this is a blow to montreal, i really feel this is an even bigger blow to the MLS league.

the ownership group from Montreal are smart investors, they have evaluated the investment and have obvious doubts as to what returns this league will have. look at it like this

1-Montreal has built a new soccer specific stadium, and has plans to expand
    2-fans support is not a question they will sell out every game

then think of this
    3-they must beleive concacaf is a far more prestigious playoff system then the mls system
    4-most team stadiums in the US are not exactly filled, nor have the exposure (yet)
    5-they can/will be the strongest team in usl 1 probably even stronger than most mls teams
    6-mls has yet to really prove anything internationally, i mean no one can say it is the best league consisting of the best teams in north and central america.

there are many more points we can add to this. I mean this is not the death of soccer in montreal, in fact it is far from it.

this will ensure a stronger , more competitive "international type" team

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to the fans in Montreal who were hoping to move up to MLS soon.

Another idea I've thought of is that maybe Gillette not Saputo backed out?
    Just a thought.

10. Lavictoireq

Lavictoireq New Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Rouyn-Noranda,Qc
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    USL is going to be so f.cking boring in the next years.

I'm pretty sure now that Miami will make it for the eastern spot.

Portland or Vancouver in the West, so that makes USL minus 2 clubs...

are the rats abandoning the sinking USL ship?

11. EffeKt

EffeKt Member

May 16, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    was hoping to play Montreal 4 times next year instead of just twice.

MLS just lost a HUGE derby. oh well. maybe another time.

12. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How long have you been following the USL? It's ALWAYS been this way. A constant rotation of teams, from the PDL to the top league, whether it's called the A-League or USL-1.

It always makes me nervous, but every year the quality of play has improved.

Looking forward to y'all coming down here and melting in a nice August game.

13. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Kind of makes you wonder if MLS is getting a little too big for its britches. If any other cities drop out, they may have to rethink their strategy for expansion.

14. Lavictoireq

Lavictoireq New Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Rouyn-Noranda,Qc
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Long enough to know that this time it's not the usual filler clubs who are going to leave. We're not talking about the Syracuse Salty Dogs, Edmonton Aviators or some other Calgary Mustangs but some of the most performing and stable ones like Portland and Vancouver. With Seattle having already left...

With Montreal, those clubs are the "pillars" in this league and if they were to leave as well, I can hardly imagine the league evolve like it did in the past decade with the help of the forementioned clubs...

anyway.

15. D3nZ

D3nZ New Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Edmundston, N-B
    The Montreal deleguation has apparently gone out public saying that it's the MLS that did not accept their bid and not the Montreal group that took their bid out of the running. They will not comment untill the grey Cup festivities are over.

16. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta sitting out next season might the start of the downfall for the USL. That was one of the most stable clubs in the league.

17. santeroatomico

santeroatomico New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    Montreal did not drop out. Their bid was not retained by the league.:eek:

18. camilos

camilos Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Montreal
    Where did you hear this? Do you have a link?

19. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cant find the original link but here is the thread
    http://www.usldiscussions.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=004363

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I don't really have a reason to watch MLS now. I had hoped Montreal would get a team in the next few years, because right now I don't have a particular team to follow and without a team it's not that fun to watch.

I also agree with some of the above posters. The USL is in BIG trouble. Imagine if Portland and Vancouver get MLS teams. Whose going to be left, Rochester, Charleston...??

I speculate this has a lot to do with Gillette. According to this the Canadian dollar didn't really factor in that much. It was getting credit for the expansion fee and stadium renovations.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=595143&sec=mls&root=mls&cc=5901

21. filbox

filbox Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The Saputo group is investing its money wisely (they don't nead a partner): they should stop waisting their and everyone else's time. Put the money towards making the stadium ready for winter weather (indoor) and join the French league (It's approx, a 5 hour flight). North American soccer is becoming the minor leagues of Europe (no insult intended). USL can ony work, 1st of all by changing the name and by adding more Canadien teams but their doesn't seem to be any interest to invest.

22. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    This does not seem professional, only a few weeks ago Montreal made a bid and now Saputo or MLS withdraws it.

This will make MLS like an amateur league.

Saputo, if you make a bid, stick with it
    and
    MLS, if you accept a bid, respect it

23. vancouversoccerman

vancouversoccerman New Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver
    Here's the brief statement the Montreal Impact have issued to the media (Spelling errors and all). They're not going to go into details until Monday out respect for the Grey Cup game today.

This could get ugly.

RECTIFICATION REGARDING MONTREAL’S BID FOR MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER
    Following MLS Commissioner Don Garber’s statements regarding Montreal’s bid, the Montreal partnership group would like to bring one important rectification: Montreal did not withdrew its bid from Major League Soccer but was informed that the league did not retain its bid.
    Out of respect for the Grey Cup festivities, the partnership group will not make any additional statements over the weekend.
    However, the President of the Montreal Impact the Saputo Stadium Mr. Joey Saputo, who is spearheading Montreal’s MLS bid, will meet the media:
    Monday, November 24, 2008
    10:30 am
    Saputo Stadium
    4750 Sherbrooke Street
    Montreal

24. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With all the changes in USL (and its various names) over the years, USL will be fine. Teams will come and go, it may even change its name. In fact I would argue that it is more stabile now than it was 10 years ago. Austin is adding a team in 2009, Cleveland is moving up from USL2 in 2009. Tampa Bay is coming in 2010. Pachuca is adding a team in 2010 (phoenix and Oralando seem to be the forerunners for the location.) Both Ottawa and St. Louis seem to be interested in USL teams if they dont get the MLS team. and there has been rumors of other teams moving up Fresno, El Paso, Des Moins all having USL1 aspirations.

Im pretty excited by the USLs future, It will change like they always do

25. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out of respect for the Grey Cup? Or in order to register more than a WTF by playing up some imagined Canadian inferiority complex by creating a conspiracy? You guys deserve better. The passion you bring would benefit the entire league and Garber has seen that firsthand