Sooooo...what do we do if..

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Dark Savante, Jul 5, 2005.

1. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to our world. We hardly ever hear about Wenger wanting to sign a specific player until it's done......of course, we hardly ever sign really big name players so....

2. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I generally classify as a pessimist on this board. But you guys are making too much of this. Essien is a fine player - and would be a worthy addition. But he's not a unique player like Ronaldinho or Zidane or Keane.

Chelsea aren't going to be perenially buying players at their current rate, assuming they did buy both Gerrard and Essien. Players would start to refuse to go, on the general grounds that getting paid to play in 3 games per year sucks, no matter where you are.

In a year or two, and Chelsea have their all-conquering star of superstars - another Essien-caliber player will be available, and we won't have to worry about Chelsea, at least (just the likes of Arsenal and Madrid!).

Maybe if we really believed we'd be winning a title w/Essien, it would be different. But I'm not sure anybody on this board believes that - we need a deeper bench, and maybe another striker that scores goals, etc, as well.

We may get Essien - we may not. I won't shed a tear if we don't. Chelsea are an unstoppable force in the transfer market - but only to the extent that they can square with a practicable squad. At that point, external limitations impose themselves.

It'll be alright.

3. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    we need another striker?

4. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    DS,

welcome to what it is like to be us. cept we are usually about the worst of the top 6 when it comes to transfers.

5. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah with big names, seems to do ok with ones that not many have heard of; but we're not getting in that discussion. Know what you mean though I think.

6. ASUCruz

ASUCruz New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Los Angeles/Tempe
    Lets not forget that its not a guarantee that Chelsea sign Gerrard. I'm sure Madrid will take their best shot, 2 years of no trophies is unacceptable and Gerrard would be a Galactico that would make a huge impact unlike Owen(not a knock on Owen but did they really need another striker?).

Anyways a bidding war could start and we could then swoop in for Essien. This would work out pretty well for us, especially if Chelsea strike out on Gerrard.

7. andrew neave

andrew neave New Member

Dec 20, 2003
    Las Vegas USA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Now is the time for the Glazers to show there teeth, offer Liverpool 40 million for Gerrard. Go on do it !!!! , I dont buy this belief that what chelsea want they get in the transfer market.
    The ball is in the Glazers court NOW!!!! you could win some friends in doing so.

8. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gerrard and Rooney on the same team? How much hate can Merseysiders produce towards one club?

Let's find out.

9. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Gerrard is staying at Liverpool..... No Essien for us, folks.

10. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester
    My first thought exactly.

Screw you, Stevie.

11. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Is this a genuine "I want to stay" or is he just saying it to keep the price high and give Liverpool the advantage in any transfer negotiations?

12. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    It's very genuine. Rick Parry has come out and said that the player will stay and Gerrard has also released a press release saying he has changed his mind and not to blame his agent. :(

13. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    Sooooo... what do we do now? At this point it seems as if we have no chance of landing any good midfielder this summer.

14. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005
    We hope the Glazers step up and get us Essien.

15. Rei de Boston

Rei de Boston New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    I just don't see us getting Essien. I wouldn't be surprised if he stays at Lyon or if Chelsea buys him and leaves him at Lyon for a year. Either way he stays where he is.

If we really are looking at the"one more man" I think it will turn out to be a player that strengthens the bench but is not a "star". It seems like that is the MO for this summer, get players who are good players but not big names.

While I like Park and VDS they certainly don't strike the imagination as greats. I see us coming in low out of the top four or five clubs in the transfer market.

16. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, if we dont get Essien I still think we can address our needs and come out good. Here are my suggestions for the "One more man" theory.

1. We could get an experienced DM, not a long term replacement, but someone to hold Keane's position when we need to rest him, which will allow us not to use Phil or Fortune in CM. However, to get a player to put on the bench as a defensive player we'd pretty much have to get rid of either Phil or Fortune... prefferable Phil, we have alot of CM's as it is.

2. We could get a creative mid who is youngish, like 24-25 who we can groom to replace Scholes or who can push him for a starting spot, Hleb would have been perfect... again, though, if we get said player we would need to get rid of Kleberson probably.

3. We could get a young attacking right back, like Cicinho or Miguel or someone who is quality who we can groom to replace Gary and allow us to play the 433 without 2 wingers... ie, 1 winger, 1 striker, 1 Rooney with the RB pushing forward to provide width on the right.

4. We could also just go out and buy a quality CB like Andrade - we spend money and upgrade at CB and say, Keano or broke, if Keane cant play and needs to be rested, chuck in Fletcher or Park to partner Scholes, or if need be, play the 433 or play Phil in Keane's spot. Essentially, we could actually survive without Keane for short periods of time easily at first and as we get better, actually do without someone OWNING the midfield all the time as we could play such a high line of defence with Rio and Andrade both being very very fast and positionally aware that there'd be no room for someone to sit in front of them anyway.

If we do indeed have £25M more to spend, we could assuming we sell, Phil, Kleberson (I'd hate to, but I'm being objective here) and maybe Silvestre or O'Shea purchase each of the following assuming we can get £8-10M for selling off the surplus players mentioned above.

Battle hardned DM to stand in for Keane when needed and hold his spot until Fletcher/Jones pairing is ready. £7-9M

Creative Mid to possibly replace Scholes in the future/improve our bench. £7M

Attacking RB to groom to replace Gary and give us more width in the 433 £5M

Andrade or similar top class defender w/ pace £10-12M

17. blackadder

blackadder Member

Jun 16, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's highly unlikely that United will have more than 10m to spend, if that, considering that the transfer budget for this summer was already spent on Rooney. They have to start repaying that debt.

As for them stepping up for a big-name player (assuming that the Glazers aren't just outright lying to a teams supporters as they have done in the past) none of these names are what you would consider big name. They may be great players, but not even Gerrard sells shirts or raises the brand's profile.

At any rate, whoever Chelsea want, Chelsea will get.