Sons of Ben movie

Discussion in 'Sons of Ben' started by msilverstein47, Apr 2, 2013.

1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CyphaPSU repped this.
  2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sons Of Ben: The Movie Producer - Mike Dieffenbach
    A Special Message to the Sons of Ben,

Last weekend Jeff Bell, Director of Sons of Ben: The Movie, was filming footage you'll see onscreen in only seven weeks. This past Saturday and Sunday he spent the weekend locked in an editing bay completing the film's final cut. Over three years have gone into making Sons of Ben: The Movie and Jeff's journey in many ways parallels the Sons of Ben's. There have been times when it wasn't certain the story would see the light of day. Times when money was short and Jeff reached deep into his own pocket to keep the project moving. Because he cared. Inspired by the story he was telling, Jeff kept pushing, just like the Sons of Ben.

Soon you'll have the chance to attend the premiere. Putting on a party worthy of the Sons of Ben is a massive undertaking. We want it to be a night you'll remember, a night of close friends sharing lasting memories, a night that will make you say, "I am part of something special."

I'm writing to ask you to buy your tickets now, today. If we sell out the Troc today there'll be a free Yards Brewing Company Happy Hour (thanks Yards!), but I'm asking you to act now mostly because of the heart and sweat Jeff has put into telling your story. I know the premiere seems far off and there are many events between now and June 10th. I know it's in all of our natures to wait until the last minute, but on Wednesday the Troc tickets will be opened up to purchase by the general public and it'll really make the event even more special if the house is packed to the rafters with Sons of Ben.

So please, follow the link below to get tickets right now and select the FEATURED package listed on the right.
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/premiere-night-sons-of-ben-the-movie
    Please do it now, because we can't make it a great premiere night without you.
    Thanks,
    Mike Dieffenbach

3. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. local136RiverRat

Oct 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I think you are lost, the SOB's dont live here anymore. Good luck with your movie.

5. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i see some on C'mon the U or other facebook groups...but yes, times have changed.

6. Atomic Fury

Atomic Fury BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 30, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's to Bryan James and what his efforts toward the positive goal of convincing MLS to award a franchise to the Philadelphia market.

On a side note, I do hope the boorish members of the SOB's don't let this go to their head. Notice I didn't say every member.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just want to reiterate, I am not in the post-credit scenes, nor any scenes for that matter. ;)

8. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto, but you did get full credit for coming up with the group's name.

When Garber, Tannenwald, and Sakiewicz showed up on screen, almost the entire Troc booed. Nobody did when Sak walked out on stage afterwards, though.

SoccerPrime repped this.
  9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Missed opportunity.

10. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to the Ritz East. There was booing there, too. But not for Tannenwald.

The part where it turned Nick Sak into the brave hero that single handedly got the stadium built reminded me of the Mr. Burns movie made by Senor Spielbergo.

Handsome Pete repped this.
  11. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what is the minor controversy that seems to be kinda lurking on twitter? saw people call it a work of fiction or fantasy. is it just sour grapes in some way?

12. sccaflagger74

sccaflagger74 Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Media, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Steven Wells get a mention? His early reporting on SoB activities was very helpful in spreading the word.

13. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone is accusing former board members of improper handling of charitable funds via the editing of a wikipedia page. I have no idea who or where or why the accusations are coming from. I really don't care. There is always all sorts of drama when it comes to the board and board positions. But that's it, apparently.

slitz repped this.
  14. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow interesting

15. sccaflagger74

sccaflagger74 Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Media, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's on the supporters page for the film. http://www.gringosatthegate.com/supporters.php Of course that doesn't prove the accusation, merely that he gave to their kickstarter.

The only thing this shows me is that SoB is still too tight with financial info. Other non-profit clubs I've been involved with have posted their meeting minutes and financial reports for members to view, usually in a newsletter. A quick look at the SoB website and I can't find anything of the sort, nor do I recall seeing similar in the Almanack.

Doop repped this.
  16. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a bit about the FourFourTwo article, but Wells (may he RIP) wasn't mentioned by name.

Wow, edits to that wikipedia page. Dave Flagler been erased from existence?

"Most recently, the Sons of Ben raised $35,000 to pay an independent producer to make a movie about them. Evidently, vanity does have a value."

^DAFUQ??

17. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't move here until 2011, so I actually learned a lot from the movie. I didn't know Dills made the logo. Or that Big Soccer was apparently the incubator of the group.

18. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may or may not have had a couple beers before the movie started, but they didn't actually say that in the movie itself, right?

19. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, wait, no, they didn't. I came to the Troc for the afterparty and the dude on stage said this.

20. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that was Jeff Bell, the director.

21. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah I guess this is what I was referring to. I don't really know the guy, just knew he was one of the originals. had no idea about the money issue.

as a paying member since 09 (or 08, I forget), one thing that has always bugged me is the lack of financial transparency (I guess being an mls supporters club, that makes sense). I remember the one "town hall meeting" where all the directors of various areas prepared statements about their activities and the guy who ran the finances at the time (I forget his name) stood up and said "I have no report".

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why was Dave removed? Wasn't it you, Bryan, Dave and maybe Mark at the first meeting? And that was after our little conference calls hosted by the City of Orlando. I also claim that I played match maker for Dills and Bryan before that's steamy winter night at the bar. I'm a contributor!

buzzkiller23 and Dills repped this.
  23. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. I edited him back, though.

SoccerPrime repped this.
  24. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they do file a 990 with the IRS:

http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2014/264/785/2014-264785645-0a9eaef6-Z.pdf