News: Sons Of Ben Community Outreach

Discussion in 'Sons of Ben' started by JamesTaylor, Dec 19, 2008.

1. JamesTaylor

JamesTaylor BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2007
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since the team was announced in February 2008, we’ve heard Nick Sakiewicz say, “We’ll be the best neighbor that Chester has ever had.”

In the spirit of those words, the Sons of Ben would like to announce the kick off of our Community Outreach program. The idea is to frequent merchants in the City of Chester whenever possible to engender good feelings. What better way to do that than to shop!

We’ve identified two retail establishments to begin with, that have already proven to be great friends of the SOBs.

Phatso’s Bakery 609 Welsh St. 610-874-4240 Open M-F 5:30a-1p & Sat 6a-1p
    For those at the groundbreaking, you probably had some of their donuts or sheet cake. The glazed donuts are amazing. My kids compare them favorably to Krispy Kreme, high praise indeed. They also do holiday cookies. I highly recommend the snicker-doodles. They can do special orders for birthdays & special eventstoo. The Jolly Franklin they put on the sheet cake for groundbreaking was brilliant. Call two days in advance for special orders, shovel not included. Richard Wilcox & his son do a great job. I urge you to stop in and identify your self as an SOB.

B & S Sandwich Shop & Deli & Sunoco Station 2200 West Second Street (Corner 2nd & Engle) 610-485-2327 Open M-F 5a-7p - Sa 6a-7p - Su 7a-3p
    Dan and his crew were very gracious in sending over 30 hoagies to the groundbreaking tailgate. After the Bernardine Center drop off we stopped in to pick up hoagies for a very chilly picnic under the Commodore Barry Bridge. They also do breakfast and will make platters or egg sandwiches with minimal notice after a phone call. From the map, linked just above, you can see that the deli is a block from the stadium site. You can bet that they’ll know us all by June 2010.

We totally understand that not everyone lives near Chester and you may not be able to visit these shops with any frequency. We suggest that you plan your trip to see the construction around a time when these stores are open. You can pick up some donuts and a hoagie and go to the stadium site to take pictures and admire our future home away from home. There is a place under the CBB, by the boat ramp to sit and enjoy your meal.

This is just the beginning. In addition to our philanthropic efforts, we will be looking for other Chester merchants to visit as we near Z010 and beyond. If you have any recommendations for our Community Outreach effort, don’t hesitate to send me an email: brad.youtzATsonsofben.com.

Minding the words of our club’s Chairman is something we can all participate in.

Please post only additional ideas for the Community Outreach effort. If you are compelled to comment in an off-topic manner, please go to the Sons of Ben website where this is cross-posted.